Remote Kontrol Mario Kart

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Remote Kontrol Mario Kart

Fans of Nintendo's Mario Kart series sculpted a real track to race their remote kontrol karts.

Who hasn't spent a night playing one of the various Mario Kart games and then got into your real car wishing that you you could drop banana peels or shooting green shells at the morons on the road? While that kind of alternate reality is still yet to come, at least you can now drive a remote kontrol kart on a track straight out of the Mushroom Kingdom. Nintendo came out with remote kontrol toys [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001SOQFM4/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001TH78YY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1MFXPAT748M53KVMJC4K] that look like the karts used in the games, but Motsukora, a manga and "Japanese culture association" in Spain, went one step further by building an authentic track for Mario, Luigi, and Yoshi to race each other. The group exhibited the track at the Nihon Jaia! Japanese culture event in Bilbao, Spain this month.

Of course, the little toy karts are not that easy to control, and the big question mark boxes don't really give you banana peels to drop, but it still looks like fun. The amount of work that Motsukora put into crafting the track is staggering, and I like how they added homages to tracks in the game like Bowser's Castle and the Rainbow Road. I'm glad that they decided to use the early Rainbow Road versions that had barriers on the sides instead of the psychedelic Rainbow Road of Mario Kart Wii which often leaves me nauseous and/or flying off the road half the time.

We would have seen a lot more broken toys, in that case, as those little remote kontrol karts would have been bouncing on the concrete in no time.

Source: Tiny Cartridge [http://tinycartridge.com/post/1717148970/super-mario-kart-rc-racing-on-a-mini-course]

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Here's a link to that music track. [http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02032/]

Also, I note that Greg hasn't played Super Mario Kart's Rainbow Road. No barriers. At all. Eek!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Great idea and art and everything, but it looks dull as hell to play.

Now, if someone can make a sonic level into an RC toy, i would buy it.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
This_ends_now said:
That looked surprising lame...although I do appreciate the lack of the blue shell.

I'm sorry, but the cheapness of the blue shell is the most game breaking bullshit a game can possibly incorporate into itself.
Indeed, hate the blue shell..though damn funny when you're playing with friends and you get the blue shell...they be mad...and the other way around aswell...

FYI, Greg, I love me some Rainbow Road.

RARbuddha

Jun 7, 2010
I like the track, but the cars seem like pieces of crap. It would appear you have to be within a foot for the remote controls to work, making them not so remote.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Greg Tito said:
Who hasn't spent a night playing one of the various Mario Kart games and then got into your real car wishing that you you could drop banana peels or shooting green shells at the morons on the road? While that kind of alternate reality is still yet to come
I'm not so sure about that:

As for the RC toys, the tracks are nice. But man I would have walked away. You can't control an RC car properly using a damn keyless entry remote for a controller (as you can plainly see). Maybe if they had better controls it would have been more interesting.