Removed

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
The only problem I had with the game that it was a bit too short (In the I WANT MORE way, not the something is lacking way). I guess the minigame worked a bit better on the console version, since it wasn't that bad. I skipped most of them though, since it was a bit boring.

Engarde

Jul 24, 2010
A most very amusing review, I too, loved Jade Empire. Now, also, this is all a bit hazy from memory, but I do not remember spamming light attacks, though I was playing on the harder difficulty.
And on the note of giant golem form, that may have been broken if I had put points into blue (cannot remember the name they gave it, to me it is just blue resource), and instead, put all my points into focus.
Tying the 'skill used to fire instant winning musket that is REALLLLY slow' with the 'skill used to slow down time for your foes' may not have been the best choice.

Trotgar

Sep 13, 2009
Sorry for not commenting much earlier - at times I've been busy and at the other times I've been very lazy.

Regardless, regarding your comment at the "Obscure chat", you haven't gotten rusty. In my opinion these first three reviews are better than most of the first season's reviews, but more of that later.

I didn't like Jade Empire that much myself, maybe because I only got it a few years ago and I had just finished Mass Effect which is amazing. Jade Empire just seemed crude to me, not only graphically (though to be fair, JEs environment was mostly nature, which is much harder to make look good in games than, for example, metal corridors and such), but the gameplay and the world just didn't draw me in nearly as well as some other Bioware's RPGs did - Baldur's Gate 2 (and 1, too, but I liked the second one more) left more things for the imagination and Mass Effect had better graphics and animations, which both made the world seem much more realistic. In my opinion Jade Empire suffers by being in the middle ground (though the case isn't nearly as bad as with Dragon Age, where I couldn't feel any emotional connection to the protagonist).

Now, I'll just rush through the positive things: The combat system wasn't perfect, but it was certainly fresh and better than in many other RPGs (KotOR, I'm lookin at you). I recall always using at least a few different styles and moves in the combat. The writing and voice acting was good as usual from a Bioware game, and the story was pretty good (although cliched). There are more positive aspects to this game too, but I'm too lazy to list them now.

I may have seemed quite negative here, but I do like the game. My enjoyment was diminished a bit because I was maybe even too impressed of Mass Effect, and I'm pretty sure I would have liked Jade Empire more if I had played it before ME.

Well, liked I said, these first three reviews of Season Two you have released are in my opinion better than many of the first season's reviews, so it shouldn't come as a surprise when I say I like this review. The language is well used and I didn't find any spelling errors on the few fast checks I do before posting[footnote]The word goddam did disturb me, but a fast check at Webster told me it can be used in the same meaning as goddamned.[/footnote]. The review had enough of humour (though a bit more wouldn't hurt), and it tells most of the important features about the game.

I do have some negative criticism. While you did a good job telling about the main features of the game, some aspects were left behind, mainly info about companions and quests. Also, on lighter note, I would have liked more screens of the actual gameplay itself (containing this like the HUD).

But like I said before, I liked the review. The flaws are very small, and only need minor polishing.
Nevertheless, it is very nice that Niche Appeal is back.

Keep 'em coming.

[sub]Also, sorry for the quite messy post and feel free to point out any mistakes and/or unfairnesses[/sub]

RobotSwordsman

Nov 19, 2009
I don't know what it is with this game, it just never drew me in for some reason.

I think I'll give it another chance though, because everybody seems to think it's pretty good. Maybe I'm missing something.

irequirefood

May 26, 2010
I really wish Bioware would continue this series, have another game set in the same universe or something. They're letting so much go to waste, focusing on Mass Effect and DragonAge, I assume because they sold really well.