Renegade X: Operation Black Dawn Makes C&C Personal

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Renegade X: Operation Black Dawn Makes C&C Personal

Renegade X: Operation Black Dawn, a fan-made, single-player game based on Command & Conquer: Renegade, is ready to rock.

I don't care what anyone else thinks, my favorite Command & Conquer game is, and probably always will be, pulled the plug [http://www.amazon.com/Command-Conquer-Renegade-Pc/dp/B00005N7YM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1327945905&sr=8-4] on Tiberium, another shooter set in the C&C universe, but the launch of Renegade X: Operation Black Dawn has me feeling a little better.

Renegade X began life about five years ago as an Unreal Tournament 3 [http://www.amazon.com/Unreal-Tournament-III-Pc/dp/B000GRB4G6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327945998&sr=8-1] mod and is now being developed as a standalone release. The focus is primarily on multiplayer but in mid-2010 the team decided to release a short single-player campaign as well, which eventually led to Black Dawn. At an estimated one to two hours in length it's undeniably brief but still boasts a "ten-part campaign, custom cinematics and fantastic gameplay."

Here's what you'll need to run it:

Minimum:

Windows XP SP2 or Windows Vista
2.0+ GHz processor
2 GB system RAM
SM3-compatible video card
4 GB free hard drive space

Recommended :

Windows Vista 64 SP2
2.0+ GHz multi-core processor
4 GB system RAM
NVIDIA 200 series or higher graphics card
Plenty of HDD space

It's a hefty download, weighing in at a little over three gig in total, but the launch trailer looks pretty sweet. A release date for the full multiplayer version of Renegade X hasn't yet been announced, but you can stay on top of the situation at renegade-x.com [http://www.renegade-x.com/site/].

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Ooh, i have something to do this weekend then.

It shouldnt be too hard to outdo its predecessor, and with luck EA might warrant a full FPS sequel in the franchise.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Might give this a download when I get the internet back on friday. I've always wondered what a C&C FPS game a la battlefield (Vehicles, static objectives, artillery/support powers etc) would be like. I missed out on Renegade when it was fresh so I hope EA are paying attention, even if I am a little reserved about their business practises of late.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
4GB of RAM recommended? Why is this game eating RAM? What's it's deal? I mean, I have 12 gigs, but still.

Meight08

*Insert Funny Title*
Feb 16, 2011
TsunamiWombat said:
Gird your loins for C&D from EA, fan community.
They will probably pull a halogen. and remove the references to cnc that would probably be easy just call the characters something else
Its called renegade x so it would be easy to call the factions something else and just make a renegade x without any references to cnc

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
The main thing I remember from C&C Renegade:

I think she's pissed at me
KABOOOM!!!
Yep, definately pissed.

Decent shooter though, makes me all nostalgic for the days of Run'n'Gun.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
I just played it for 15 minutes and while the graphical quality and the cutscenes have to be commended, almost everything else is rather suckish.
Such as:
- enemies shooting right at me and I'm not taking damage
- enemies just standing around waiting to be shot at
- friendly NPCs standing around carelessly while being shot at
- friendly NPCs constantly shooting through me
- friendly NPCs shooting at a guy 10 miles away while ignoring the bloke shooting them in the face
- being able to put explosives on some turrets, but not others

I suppose it has potential, but I wonder how this game can be considered ready for release... let alone feature "fantastic gameplay".

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Been watching this game for years, downloaded on launch day, been trying to install the damn thing since. Finally got the installed to load...had to disable UAC and wait half an hour or so after clicking for it to open. Can't wait to play it :D

edit: finished it, was alright I guess. A few graphical glitches, fairly dodgy AI, but otherwise a reasonably good experience. I'm more concerned with the upcoming final multiplayer release which judging by the earlier beta and all the improvements here should be pretty fantastic.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Fan-made games are such a shot in the dark. Some are brilliant, some are complete garbage. More often than not the latter, unfortunately. Haven't tried Black Dawn yet, a three gig download will literally take me days to finish, but I'll get on it eventually.

This also has me kinda hoping that GOG picks up C&C: Renegade. I think I'd pay six bucks for a hassle-free replay.