Repetitive Stress Up, Falling Out of Trees Down Among Kids

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Repetitive Stress Up, Falling Out of Trees Down Among Kids

A new report by The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2825896/Number-of-kids-injured-playing-computer-games-soars.html] says the incidence of repetitive stress injuries among children has skyrocketed, while more traditional childhood injuries caused by things like falling out of trees have dropped off dramatically.

Serious repetitive strain injuries suffered "after spending hours glued to consoles" are up 60 percent since 2002, according to numbers obtained by The Sun, while the number of kids who have been hurt while climbing trees has dropped off by 50 percent over the same period. Injuries caused by skateboarding, rollerblading, skiing and "other skating accidents" had fallen even more, down by 57 percent over the past seven years.

"This fall in what would be perceived as traditional growing-up accidents is bad news for childhood," said sociology professor Frank Furedi [http://www.frankfuredi.com/]. "The digital bedroom culture is growing all the time at the expense of the outdoors. Doing physically challenging outdoor activities teaches children how to deal with risk - and they learn about their own strengths and weaknesses."

I'm sure that many of you are all set to remind me that The Sun is a trashy rag, but this report has a certain ring of validity to it. The explosive growth in the popularity of videogaming across all age groups over the past decade is a simple enough explanation for the rise in related injuries; more distressing in my mind is the drop in "traditional" injuries, a fairly certain sign that kids aren't going outside, running around and doing stupid things to hurt themselves the way they used to.

As Game Culture [http://www.gameculture.com/2010/01/28/repetitive-stress-injuries-falling-out-tree-injuries-down] suggests, it could be caused at least in party by the "increased urbanization [that] has severely reduced the number of climbable trees over the years," but I think it's also quite possible that parents just don't let kids engage in those kinds of "dangerous" activities anymore. Whatever the reason, I'm inclined to go along with Professor Furedi on this one: Kids who don't have at least the opportunity to bust themselves up now and then - and not just by straining their thumbs - are missing out on an important part of growing up.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
As someone who broke both arms as a kid I'm really confused on how that's an important part of growing up?

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
"Dammit, Jimmy, those games will ruin your eyes. Go outside and break your skull open instead!"

That out of the way, it is important for kids (and, y'know, everyone else) to get enough exercise. The problem is, since we know that everyone outside our immediate family is a pedophile just waiting to drag Jimmy into a van, where are these kids supposed to get that exercise?

DeadMG

Oct 1, 2007
I wouldn't trust the Sun if it said the sky was blue. I've never suffered a serious injury growing up and am not sure what I'm supposed to be missing.

Cpt Corallis

Apr 14, 2009
I think the point he was trying to make was that by actually engaging with the outside world and getting your knees scraped (so to speak) it improves your life skills in the long run. I.E. you build up a immunity to disease and you can work out whats safe or not. It's all trial and error you know?

Cpt Corallis

orangebandguy

Elite Member
Jan 9, 2009
I've injured myself plenty of times outdoors, so I'm safe from the most credible newspaper in the world's wrath.

dalek sec said:
As someone who broke both arms as a kid I'm really confused on how that's an important part of growing up?
It hurt right? Now you know.

electric_warrior

Oct 5, 2008
so... reptitive strain never killed anyone, a broken back did.

Still, I broke two ribs and a wrist horsing around in my youth (oh, about 3-4 years ago) so I don't see the issue

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
orangebandguy said:
I've injured myself plenty of times outdoors, so I'm safe from the most credible newspaper in the world's wrath.

dalek sec said:
Yeah but I knew before hand that broken bones hurt like hell.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
DeadMG said:
I wouldn't trust the Sun if it said the sky was blue. I've never suffered a serious injury growing up and am not sure what I'm supposed to be missing.
Yeah...coming from the Sun...

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
I dont think RSI is as bad as smashing your head by falling out of a tree.

The only really harmful thing about gaming is faceplanting on to a coffe table whilst on Tony hawks:RIDE.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
I started getting into video games in the mid 90's. I had a nintendo, sega, and a 486 pc to keep me amused. However, I was still played on multiple school teams including volleyball, track and field, badminton, and various club teams like baseball and curling. Why do gaming and outdoor activities have to mutually exclusive?

0z0wen

Feb 11, 2009
Wow the amount of sarcasm in this thread is overwhelming but I can kinda see where they're coming from. Most kids are on their games consoles and swearing at each other. When I was that age I was building camps and tree houses in the woods

Crimsane

Apr 11, 2009
Man, I'm sure glad I was injured dozens of times doing stupid stunts to impress my friends growing up instead of safely kicking their asses in things like Brawl. Wait, what?

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
So instead of staring at a game twiddling your thumbs on a controller, you encourage them to break their fucking skulls? This is something I'd expect to see on The Sun.

OH WAIT.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I don't want to sound like the blame the parents guy but I think part of that may come from parents.

The parents where I live, including my own, are so hyper-overprotective that kids live like prisoners. Little kids (I'm picturing around 10 years old or so) can't play outside unsupervised here, like at all, ever. Its ridiculous.

Apr 28, 2008
I've been outside lots of times and rarely got injured. Mainly because I used common sense, something most people seem to lack.

And most parents don't seem to let kids do what people did in the past. Which is tell them to go outside for the whole day and don't come back until dinner. Now when they go out they can only stay around the house and if they need to go anywhere else they need a trusted adult to take them.

orangebandguy said:

dalek sec said:
Because you totally need to break your arm to know that it hurts.

/sarcasm

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
You know who the sun went to right, to get these answers? A specific group of people to get the results that they want. If i want, i can walk down the road and see a skatepark filled to the brim with people.