Repetitive Stress Up, Falling Out of Trees Down Among Kids

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Maybe kids are just getting better hand-eye coordination, which is why there's less kids falling out of trees

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
I would like to think that they are learning to better deal with stress in the work place. See that the majority of work is repetitive stress. <.<

Since when has breaking an arm as a child ever been anymore than an anecdote in a conversation in the work place?

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Repetitive Stress Up, Falling Out of Trees Down Among Kids

A new report by The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2825896/Number-of-kids-injured-playing-computer-games-soars.html]
I got this far, then stopped reading. Plus, you can get RSI from plenty of outdoor activities, not least kayaking/canoeing. Also... I'd have thought that not being injured from climbing trees was a good thing.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
Kajin said:
Andy Chalk said:
Kids who don't have at least the opportunity to bust themselves up now and then - and not just by straining their thumbs - are missing out on an important part of growing up.
I'm inclined to agree. Climbing trees used to be something I really loved doing when I was growing up. It's part of the reason why I'm as agile as I am.
Indeed. As far as I'm concerned, if you never climbed a tree, you were never a child, and if you can't see the appeal, you are simply not human. I still climb trees whenever I get the opportunity, it's probably my favourite activity of all time.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
It's because for the majority of kids, accidents they are likely to have outside involve being killed by cars. There are no trees for them to climb in the city and parents aren't too keen on them getting run over as part of growing up. I never had that problem, growing up out on dartmoor.

Wilbot666

Aug 21, 2009
Yes thankfully I was lucky enough to grow up on farm until I entered my teens. Not everyone is so lucky.

jpakaferrari

Nov 9, 2009
I guess the only answer is to use consoles to break children's arms... oh wait that's abuse I guess. Well I guess we are just going to have an entire generation of complete weakling kids in America and the Chinese will take over our country. Yeah that seems pretty plausible at this point.

Guestowel

Oct 9, 2008
When I was a kid playgrounds were all concrete and sharp metal, now they are all plastic and rubber.

Skooterz

Jul 22, 2009
It saddens me that people play video games for enough time each day to get that kind of injury. i love video games, but I can't play them THAT long. I personally have never broken a bone, but I've had my share of sprains, nasty gashes, once even road rash.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
And this is clearly nothing to do with the increasingly extreme "safety" measures, is it?

The ones that ban playing conkers at school? etc.

SamuelT

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2009
Country
Nederland
This made me laugh. I spent an entire holiday inside (Four days) and spent one outside. I immediately got sick, spent two months in a hospital and lost the ability to hear with my left ear.

Go play outside, it's good for you!

Still, in my youth I played outside alot, I fell alot and I cried alot. Sun's making issues again.

(And I only now realised the 'pun' in the title.)