Repetitive Stress Up, Falling Out of Trees Down Among Kids

dekkarax

Apr 3, 2008
I've never trusted the Sun, considering 1. It's owned by News corp. and 2. because I live in Sheffield.

arrr_matey

Oct 26, 2006
They don't actually give the numbers for what that 60% rise represents. Has it gone from 10 to 16 or 10,000 to 16,000? Those are both 60% increases (unless my math skills are truly terrible). No context = BAAAD journalism.

Nimbus

Token Irish Guy
Oct 22, 2008
Hehehe, I fell out of a tree when I was a kid. Real tall tree too. Straight into a patch of nettles. Hurt like hell. Bedridden for ages. RSI has got nothing on that kind of pain.

DemonicVixen

Oct 24, 2009
I was told as a kid that if i sustained any more head injuries i could have been brain damaged. Funny, i'm guessing those wounds healed because for the past couple of years i got several more.

Guess my mum finally died from her head injuries after all the times she's had them but this time was a lot more serious then she ever had it. And that was from just waiting for a taxi yet alone climbing trees...*sigh*

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
I never injured myself climbing trees. Screw you, The Sun.
[small]I only sprained my ankle jumping off a wall.[/small]

But yeah, as you said, this does have a certain validity to it.
Kids should be doing stupid shit outside. Not be shut indoors staring at a screen all day.
That said, I spent like four to five hours a day on my Nintendo when I was young, and I still managed to do my fair share of stupid kid stuff.

Feb 13, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
A new report by The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2825896/Number-of-kids-injured-playing-computer-games-soars.html] ...

Oh America, please stop listening to our tabloids. We did years ago.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
As Game Culture [http://www.gameculture.com/2010/01/28/repetitive-stress-injuries-falling-out-tree-injuries-down] suggests, it could be caused at least in party by the "increased urbanization [that] has severely reduced the number of climbable trees over the years," but I think it's also quite possible that parents just don't let kids engage in those kinds of "dangerous" activities anymore. Whatever the reason, I'm inclined to go along with Professor Furedi on this one: Kids who don't have at least the opportunity to bust themselves up now and then - and not just by straining their thumbs - are missing out on an important part of growing up.
I can agree with that. Even considering the possibility of games having bad sides seems to be a taboo around here, but I do think that it's good for a kid to get out once in a while. Not getting out, hurt and dirty won't do your immunity any favors, and if you spend most of your kid time holding a mouse (or a controller) your social skills are going to fall behind, I can vouch for that personally. I can imagine the increased urbanization will play an important role in that too, but that's more likely a co-factor to the increase in video-gaming than in falling injuries.

dmase

Mar 12, 2009
First off who the hell goes to the docter for repeated strain injurys.... or reports them. I had no clue that was even an injury unless you typed for 8 hours a day for 10 years and got carpal.

Maybe kids are getting smarter... ha.

DeadRow

Evil Ghandi :3
Jun 15, 2007
lol The Sun.

The_root_of_all_evil said:
Andy Chalk said:
A new report by The Sun [http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/2825896/Number-of-kids-injured-playing-computer-games-soars.html] ...

Oh America, please stop listening to our tabloids. We did years ago.

This.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
ahhh back in the days of youth, possible concussions, sprained everything, spending hours sitting in a tree because you climbed too high and are terrified of trying to get back down. (this article makes me want to go assassin's creed in the forest tomorrow)

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
I think a main point thats been overlooked is the state of the world outside someones house these days.
When i was a kid it was pretty tame on the streets. Now i've had a kid no older than 11 threaten to 'knife' me, for no less than wearing a trilby.

i don't blame kids not wanting to play outside, falling out a tree is all well and good, but a chance of being stabbed? I think i'll pass.

Gingerman

Aug 20, 2009
I would agree if it wasn't for three things.

1)Its the Sun
2)Government shutting down play areas due to their danger
3)Government disallowing ball games in parts of the city.

What else are kids supposed to do? play tig in the kitchen?.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
The DSM said:
I dont think RSI is as bad as smashing your head by falling out of a tree.

The only really harmful thing about gaming is faceplanting on to a coffe table whilst on Tony hawks:RIDE.
Or getting stabbed.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
the only logical solution is to start crossbreeding our children with monkies.

This will help push tree fall injuries to the forefront.

Jagers1994

Jan 19, 2009
snowman6251 said:
I don't want to sound like the blame the parents guy but I think part of that may come from parents.

The parents where I live, including my own, are so hyper-overprotective that kids live like prisoners. Little kids (I'm picturing around 10 years old or so) can't play outside unsupervised here, like at all, ever. Its ridiculous.
Same here.

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
Jagers1994 said:
snowman6251 said:
I don't want to sound like the blame the parents guy but I think part of that may come from parents.

The parents where I live, including my own, are so hyper-overprotective that kids live like prisoners. Little kids (I'm picturing around 10 years old or so) can't play outside unsupervised here, like at all, ever. Its ridiculous.
Same here.
Yeah its ironic too since its not like I live in the sketchy city of Murderville. No I live in upper middle class white people with doctor parents ville and yet they're the ones who think their precious children will get kidnapped if they set foot outside where as people who do live in Murderville are like "watch out for the crackheads".

benbenthegamerman

May 10, 2009
Last time i checked, Carpal tunnel syndrome isnt potentially lethal.

This article is hilarious. Kids have died falling out of trees. Also, the average life expectancy of a child born after 1993 is at least 130 due to medical advances in the past twenty years. Good ol' british tabloids telling us that children should be seriously injured or killed more often.