Report: Amazon Bluetooth Gaming Controller Images Leak

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Report: Amazon Bluetooth Gaming Controller Images Leak

Here's our first look at Amazon's Bluetooth gaming controller, which is said to be sold separately and also work with Kindle Fire devices.

Earlier this year, it's been Courtesy of Zatz [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131722-Report-Amazon-Android-Console-Set-to-Launch-This-Year], the gaming controller shown is said not to ship with Amazon's upcoming media streamer, but will be sold separately and even expected to work with Kindle Fire devices. As you can see from the image, it heavily borrows the Xbox 360's button and stick layouts, and even has bumpers and triggers, too. It does sport a few differences, though, like the back, home and menu buttons that should be familiar with Android users. And at the bottom of the face, there are media playback buttons (just like on the OnLive controller) which should make watching videos using the pad a tad easier.

It's still not clear when Amazon will release the controller commercially or how much it will cost, but it's expected to run on a pair of AA batteries. Keep in mind that these leaked images [http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-03/amazon-streamer-feature-bluetooth-gaming-controller/#jp-carousel-52895] haven't been confirmed by Amazon, so there's a chance it could be a very good fake. We'll update the story once we know more details.

It might just be me, but the controller looks to be a little too "cold" for some reason; and seems to lack the Xbox game pad's appeal even though they're virtually identical. What do you make of Amazon's gaming pad and would you even consider getting one?

Source: TechCrunch [http://www.zatznotfunny.com/2014-03/amazon-streamer-feature-bluetooth-gaming-controller/]

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Fake or not, but does that thing look clunky as hell or is that just me?
I know its really similar to the Xbox One controller, but it just looks like a brick to me. I guess Id have to try it myself for proper judgement, but from the picture alone I'm assuming I wouldn't like how it handles at all.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Mojo said:
I know its really similar to the Xbox One controller, but it just looks like a brick to me.
Not just you. Seems un-wieldly and downright sterile in my opinion. Could be a protoype controller design, though. I'm more curious as to whether people are open to buying an Amazon gaming console.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Good lord, it looks like one of those crappy third-party controllers that Madcatz or whatever they're called makes.

So no, I definitely be interested in purchasing it.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Mojo said:
I know its really similar to the Xbox One controller, but it just looks like a brick to me. I guess Id have to try it myself for proper judgement, but from the picture alone I'm assuming I wouldn't like how it handles at all.
Yeah looks like an Xbox whatever knock-off controller, and yes quite brick-like. Who knows though, maybe it's better than it looks. There's nothing that gives a scale reference either, perhaps it's a little smaller and less cumbersome than it looks.

Or it's just a big fake, who knows?

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
While I appreciate and like the idea of a gaming controller designed specifically for tablets, this thing looks awfully designed. Really, really hoping this turns out to be a fake.

maveric112

Mar 11, 2014
I really hope that this is a prototype design for a controller. It looks really blocky and uncomfortable at the moment.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I like it. Not the design, I just like the concept. And that button at the bottom of the 'T' in the center, is that...a tiny trackball?

*EDIT* I'm hoping this will be Windows-compatible. I mean, the design looks awful, but it's not official (or even confirmed as real) so I'm sure there's changes in line further down the road. The reason I like the idea of Amazon making a wireless controller is that the stuff they make and sell under the Amazon Basics brand is reliable and decently priced. If Amazon really was working on a generic controller, it's going to work.

I just hope it doesn't look like the posted images.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Andy Shandy said:
Good lord, it looks like one of those crappy third-party controllers that Madcatz or whatever they're called makes.

So no, I definitely be interested in purchasing it.
No, those actually look better than this. These would have to be much smoother looking just to get to Mad Catz level.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
I like it. Not the design, I just like the concept. And that button at the bottom of the 'T' in the center, is that...a tiny trackball?
More likely it's just a normal button.

And while you might like the idea, there's a dozen of these things on the market that are decent quality. And given Amazon's corner-cutting with the Fire line, I'm not sure the AmazonBasics line is an indicator of what this will be quality-wise.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
FizzyIzze said:
More likely it's just a normal button.

And while you might like the idea, there's a dozen of these things on the market that are decent quality. And given Amazon's corner-cutting with the Fire line, I'm not sure the AmazonBasics line is an indicator of what this will be quality-wise.
Yeah, I've never used any of their tablets, Kindle reader included, but their other line of generic products hasn't failed me so far--which is to say that cables and stuff are hard to screw up apparently.

I think what's probably going to happen is this game pad will be made for the Kindle Fire series only.

Incidentally, are there game pads that are compatible between both Android and Windows PC? I guess that making something that works for everything probably ends up working for nothing.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Ah yes, another swing at the android market. Pass.

There's nothing that it can do that my other stuff can't and android is a terrible gaming platform for anyone but people who pirate (aka, not me).

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FizzyIzze said:
Yeah, I've never used any of their tablets, Kindle reader included, but their other line of generic products hasn't failed me so far--which is to say that cables and stuff are hard to screw up apparently.
Yeah, I use AB products a lot.

I think what's probably going to happen is this game pad will be made for the Kindle Fire series only.
I seriously hope not. That seems like an easy way to screw up the brand. But honestly? I wouldn't doubt it.

Incidentally, are there game pads that are compatible between both Android and Windows PC? I guess that making something that works for everything probably ends up working for nothing.
A lot of the ones available on Amazon can connect to a PC via Bluetooth. I'm yet to try one, though. I just use wired Afterglow (forget the manufacturer) for my PC, and only use Bluetooth for a headset for Skype.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lightknight said:
Another half-ass swing, at that. You'd think Amazon would put a little more effort behind this sort of thing. What next? A half-ass iphone competitor? Half-ass PCs? Maybe they could do a proper console that costs as much as a PS4 but has half the capabilities.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
Lightknight said:
Another half-ass swing, at that. You'd think Amazon would put a little more effort behind this sort of thing. What next? A half-ass iphone competitor? Half-ass PCs? Maybe they could do a proper console that costs as much as a PS4 but has half the capabilities.
It is weird. You'd think Amazon of all people would see how products trend and why.

But with game consoles doing so well this year I guess they want to take a shot. They have acquired some development studios to bring exclusive content though. Are android devices capable of scaling to AAA titles or are they still pidgeon-holed (Spell Check?Phrase Check?) into iOS games. I have never felt compelled to play iOS games on my TV.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Lightknight said:
It is weird. You'd think Amazon of all people would see how products trend and why.

But with game consoles doing so well this year I guess they want to take a shot. They have acquired some development studios to bring exclusive content though. Are android devices capable of scaling to AAA titles or are they still pidgeon-holed (Spell Check?Phrase Check?) into iOS games. I have never felt compelled to play iOS games on my TV.
and it's not like they've never had good ideas, either. I've adored the Kindle line since I first tried it. The Fire is another story, but their e-reader was an inspired idea. And they backed it up by already being a strong distributor of books, which translated well into e-books. I mean, IF we see that equivalent come to the new console, maybe that's something. I wouldn't mind seeing them apply that level of support or commitment, but after the Fire, I wonder if we will, you know?