Report: Assassin's Creed: Unity Frame Rate Problems Across Consoles - Update

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Report: Assassin's Creed: Unity Frame Rate Problems Across Consoles - Update

<youtube=Q1J2WMoEP9A>​
Several Assassin's Creed: Unity consumers are reporting performance issues, such as low frame rates.

Update: Ubisoft is working on a patch [http://assassinscreed.ubi.com/en-US/news/news_detail.aspx?c=tcm:152-184353-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32] to fix the performance issues in Assassin's Creed: Unity. This patch is in addition to a day one patch for Unity. Specifically, the patch will fix issues where Arno falls through the ground, Arno become stuck in hay carts, delays in reaching the main menu from the game's start, and crashing upon joining a co-op session. Ubisoft is also looking into frame rate issues, graphical problems, matchmaking, and helix credits.

Since Assassin's Creed: Unity's launch, many players have found glitches that both affect the game's performance and provide graphics. [http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=340261673]

Original story: Several consumers are reporting performance issues in all versions of Assassin's Creed: Unity, including bugs, texture glitches, and low frame rates.

Visuals stutter immensely in some people's copies of the game. Ubisoft stated last month Unity would be because of the sheer size of Paris and number of NPCs walking around. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137874-Assassins-Creed-Unity-Will-Run-at-900p-Resolution-and-30-fps-on-Xbox-One-and-PS4] Now that the game has launched, people are reporting that the frame rate feels worse than 30 fps.

"Seriously, I get the game is massive, but jesus the framerate in this game is atrocious," Reddit user Merwerk [http://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/2ly5xt/the_framerate_in_acu_is_fucking_terrible/] said, having played the PS4 version of Assassin's Creed: Unity. "It's not even close to a locked 30 fps[;] it feels like it's running at 20 something most of the time, and I've had it drop way below that a couple of times already."

Xbox One users playing Unity reported on one person complained [http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/2ly3x9/discussion_thread_assassins_creed_unity/] the game is "really running sub 30fps, which makes it unplayable."

PC users with a high-end setup seem to be experiencing fewer problems, but TotalBiscuit [http://steamcommunity.com/app/289650/discussions/0/620696934093587859/] talked about his experience with the game's performance so far and said lighting and texture quality were poor, and textures appearing and disappearing at random. He also said guards would spawn in from the sky and other NPCs clipped through objects.

Assassin's Creed: Unity has a Dealspwn [http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/sacrebleu-assassins-creed-unitys-got-a-1gb-day-one-patch/] has reported performance issues even after installing this patch.

Source: NowGamer [http://www.vg247.com/2014/11/11/assassins-creed-unity-performance-issues-reported-on-all-platforms/]

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I thought i was hearing something funny all day. I thought it was a side effect from a whiff of Zinc Carbonate dust but it turns out its the sound of Ubisofts development model collapsing in on itself.

Regardless of that, this means Ubisoft must once again be the subject of a Jimquisition.

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
Another day, another poorly optimized Ubisoft game. This time, all platforms get to feel the pain.

I'm honestly shocked that this made it out the door. They released a broken product.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
And the moral of the story is:

Don't pre-order Ubisoft games.

It really is shocking that Ubisoft actually decided to release this game in it's current state as opposed to delaying it for a few weeks or even months, but money makes the world go round, and I bet that Ubisoft is still primarily focusing on DLC development as opposed to trying to get the game to work. At least now console players know what it feels like to get a shitty port from the big U.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Oh Ubisoft, you so silly!

If Call of Duty has taught us anything, it's that yearly installments CAN work...until they start pumping out crappy games. Whatever your personal thoughts on Assassins Creed, Call of Duty, or "insert yearly game here", for the most part they are good games. However, once that one bad one kicks players teeth in, they lose trust of the brand and begin moving away from it.

Why companies are willing to sacrifice what could be a very long and lucrative cash cow for short term profits baffles me.

ddrkreature

Jun 24, 2013
Wow. Just...wow. I thought the people complaining about it were just finding reasons to hate on the game but that's just plain bad. The PC version apparently doesn't fare much better as the specs are stupid high for minimum and just showing signs of bad porting. For something like this, I don't blame consoles having gimped hardware (I actually think their fine). I blame Ubisoft not knowing how to make a game right.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Well, by what I've seen of the PC port and how Ubisoft's been treating Non-Microsoft companies lately I think I'll get this for £5 on Steam in a year or so when I've hopefully upgraded my PC.

...that is if Ubisoft were selling it on the UK Steam

Tentheria

Apr 19, 2011
Wow that clip nearly dropped to what, 6 fps or something?! That's so incredibly cinematic that overpriced popcorn has manifested itself into being in front of me.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Laggyteabag said:

The true moral is: Don't pre-order, ever.

As much as its in style to rag on Ubisoft right now, theres been several crocks on a equivalent level from other publishers this year alone.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
nevarran said:
This game was released today, right?
Was there some review embargo?
If you were to treat TB's speculation as having any value, they were waiting on the day 1 patch in hopes that they didnt have to downgrade the review score and risk getting blacklisted by Ubisoft.

Or thats what i got out of a few posts on his Twitter page.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
gigastar said:
Laggyteabag said:

I wouldn't say ever, i have the new Pokemon games on pre-order and i can't wait. Probably pick this up at Christmas when it's been fixed.

The Halo MCC i would of pre-ordered if i had an X1, and i remember pre-ordering far cry 3 ages ago and that was fine at launch. You just have to trust the developer And normally when i pre-order, i trust them.

Trust has been shaken here though, got to admit

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Laggyteabag said:

It really is shocking that Ubisoft actually decided to release this game in it's current state as opposed to delaying it for a few weeks or even months, but money makes the world go round, and I bet that Ubisoft is still primarily focusing on DLC development as opposed to trying to get the game to work. At least now console players know what it feels like to get a shitty port from the big U.
The sad truth is that the game had already been delayed by two weeks just so that Ubisoft could get the day one patch ready...

That and the 12+ hours embargo on reviews are really the reddest of red flags here.

Captcha: Skynet knows
That seems fitting, somehow.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
arc1991 said:
gigastar said:
Laggyteabag said:

I wouldn't say ever, i have the new Pokemon games on pre-order and i can't wait. Probably pick this up at Christmas when it's been fixed.

The Halo MCC i would of pre-ordered if i had an X1, and i remember pre-ordering far cry 3 ages ago and that was fine at launch. You just have to trust the developer And normally when i pre-order, i trust them.

What did you get by pre-ordering that you couldnt get by waiting?

nevarran

Apr 6, 2010
gigastar said:
If you were to treat TB's speculation as having any value, they were waiting on the day 1 patch in hopes that they didnt have to downgrade the review score and risk getting blacklisted by Ubisoft.

Or thats what i got out of a few posts on his Twitter page.
Hah, a new low for the gaming press then. I can believe that.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I guess this explains why valkryia chronicles is outselling AC: Unity on steam, GMG, and amazon. Making a good game will always sell more than making a barely working game with tons of advertisements. I hope AC:Unity bombs so hard that they just can the AC franchise. It started off so good and just lost its soul after the 2nd AC.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
arc1991 said:
gigastar said:
Laggyteabag said:

And i fimrly adhere to be belief that trust from consumers to publishers is just going to get consumers royally screwed in the long run, if it hasnt already.

And frankly, in this case it almost makes me cry to see that in spite of both WatchDogs and all that Ubisoft has (presumably) been having to say at Microsofts behest since then, that people still put money down for AC:U before they knew what they were really buying. Almost.

Ill even admit that i believe that 2K will be publishing great games from now till the end of time, but i still wont trust them with my money until i know that what im paying for has an independently verified Certification of Not Shit.

arc1991 said:
I have the new Pokemon games on pre-order and i can't wait.
...insofar as one could call the upcoming Pokemon games "new". Sorry, couldnt resist.

Seriously though i enjoyed the Hoenn games the most, and ill get them as soon as theyre released.