Report: Disney is Eyeing Chris Pratt to be The Next Indiana Jones

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Disney is Eyeing Chris Pratt to be The Next Indiana Jones

Disney has reportedly set it's sights on Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt to be the next Indiana Jones.

Indiana Jones is Harrison Ford. That's one of those things that just is. But, what if he wasn't? Disney, having bought the rights to the franchise back in 2013, is now looking at capitalizing on it with a new movie, and poor Mr. Ford is getting a bit too old to be sprinting through ancient Mayan temples and swinging across chasms with his whip. So what's the solution? Get a new guy to play the good Doctor. Specifically, Disney is reportedly looking at Parks and Recreation and Guardians of the Galaxy's Chris Pratt to fill his shoes.

The report comes from Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/01/chris-pratt-indiana-jones-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-1201360637/], which stresses that no deals or discussions have taken place yet, and it is just a very early rumor.

However, that's not to say it doesn't make absolutely perfect sense. Pratt made a name for himself as Parks and Rec's resident lovable doofus Andy Dwyer, before proving himself to be a viable action hero in Guardians of the Galaxy. His portrayal as Starlord certainly fits the kind of bill that Indiana Jones would call for.

Reportedly, Disney aims to build a whole new franchise around Pratt, turning the "Indiana Jones" persona into an almost James Bond-like multi-actor role.

Thankfully, there has been no mention of the studio approaching Kingdom of the Crystal Skull co-star, Shia LeBeouf, who played Indy's illegitimate son. Although to be fair, he did retire from public life [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131232-Shia-LaBeouf-Throws-in-The-Towel-Retires-From-Public-Life] last year...

Source: Deadline [http://deadline.com/2015/01/chris-pratt-indiana-jones-guardians-of-the-galaxy-disney-1201360637/]

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
I can't even remember LeBeouf in that Indiana Jones film, and I'd like to say I can (sadly) remember quite a lot of it. Granted I don't ever want to revisit any of his other work lest it ruin my impression of him from Sia's "Elastic Heart" music video (and he comes off as an arse whenever he talks about that as well). EDIT: And from Fury, too. Gosh I feel compelled to not hate him.

I suppose I should look up Pratt's other work. I couldn't stand him (or rather, his character) at all in Guardians, but perhaps other films can redeem it.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
How did I miss Disney buying out Indiana Jones? Did they get it as part of their Star Wars package, or was it a separate deal?

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
ugh...

Why not just come up with an original dungeon-delving explorer/treasure hunter guy?

I wouldn't mind seeing Pratt in that. Why rehash Indie...

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I'm not so sure about this. I think Pratt is a fantastic actor, but Indy needs to be a bit more on the "sarcastic asshole" side of the spectrum; Pratt is just a bit too nice, a bit too softspoken. If we're looking at people Disney has already used in Marvel Cinematic Universe, why not Robert Downey Jr.? Maybe he's a bit on the old side, especially if they wanna make a new franchise out of it, but I can't think of many actors who could really nail Indy quite as well.

Soviet Heavy said:
How did I miss Disney buying out Indiana Jones? Did they get it as part of their Star Wars package, or was it a separate deal?
They bought LucasFilm. This was included.

P.S. Thanks

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Soviet Heavy said:
Disney bought lucasfilm and everything they own is now Disney which is mainly SW and Indiana Jones (oh and willow and labyrinth).

We do not need another Indiana Jones film let alone a whole new franchise (which is what Disney wants) Indiana Jones is not a universe it's a character letting things end is good let it go Disney, just let it go.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Eh. An Indy reboot was inevitable, let's just be thankful they cast someone decent in the role. It could have been so much worse. So much worse...

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They are just playing to his role in GOTG - and he was great in that. But the why not get Nathan Fillion to play that role, his role in Firefly was the same as Starlord. Im ok with Pratt as Indiana and i can image how great he would be in that role. Just questioning the reasoning behind their choice.

C.TYR

Dec 30, 2013
Please, Chris, no.
Please don't let them do this.
Don't let them move forward using you.
You're better than this.
Please.

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I have never been a fan of this show but this clip perfectly sums up my feelings on this news

To be clear this is not about Chris Pratt, this is about a Indy reboot.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
As much as I'm liking Chris after his great work in The Lego Movie and Guardians of the Galaxy, seeing as how he's also going to be in the Jurassic Park film, I'm thinking it's probably getting to be a bit much.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
I'm not thrilled about a reboot or re-imagining or expansion of Indiana Jones, but at least it's not the Beouf in the starring role. He's just intolerable to me. Although, I think Bradly Cooper would have been a good choice.

Also, if Disney is going to make more Indy films, they should be untold tales of adventures between the other movies ala Mad Max: Fury Road (I think that's what they're doing with that. Whatever happened between Mad Max and Road Warrior). Sort of a "Tales of Indiana Jones" happening wherever in the timeline, but not overwriting any existing stories.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
webkilla said:
ugh...

Why not just come up with an original dungeon-delving explorer/treasure hunter guy?

I wouldn't mind seeing Pratt in that. Why rehash Indie...
This. Why why why, WHY cant they just do this?

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Of any leading man in Hollywood today I can see him as Indy, also He's doing a good job of quickly trying to find another great character to play to avoid just being Star Lord, kind of like how Harrison Ford avoided being typecast by being both Indy and Han.

Dying_Jester

Jul 17, 2014
Well, he's probably the best option, and I'd rather see a new actor then face another Crystul Skull. That movie was just...I don't want to talk about it.