Report: GTA V Coming to PC in Q1, 2014

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: GTA V Coming to PC in Q1, 2014

"Multiple industry sources" have indicated a PC version of Grand Theft Auto V is due early next year.

At this point, does anyone not think that a PC version of Rockstar Game's Grand Theft Auto V is inevitable? "Multiple industry sources" have apparently told would be out on pc "soon" [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-10-sources-grand-theft-auto-5-out-on-pc-early-2014] and that "Somebody paid a lot of money to make sure that title was exclusive [to consoles]."

A Q1 2014 release of GTA V on PC practically mirrors the PC release schedule of the previously released GTA IV, which launched for consoles in April 2008, and got a PC port in December that year. It certainly makes a lot of sense for us to see a release early next year, it's just frustrating that Rockstar won't make it official.

Back in August, Nvidia's senior director of investor relations Chris Evenden accidentally let slip [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126778-Update-GTA-V-Coming-to-PC-Says-Nvidia] that a PC version of the game is coming "this fall."

"Gamers are preparing their systems for a strong roster of games coming this fall, including blockbuster franchises such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Grand Theft Auto V and Assassin's Creed IV," he said, although the company later retracted his statement, explaining that "Nvidia does not have information on any possible PC version release of Grand Theft Auto or its availability, We deeply regret the error."

Rockstar still refuses to give any official comment on the existence of a PC version of the game, but we have reached out to them for comment on this new story.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-10-10-sources-grand-theft-auto-5-out-on-pc-early-2014]

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm not sure it's letting slip if it's not true. And "this fall" is at odds with everything else.

Is GTA V going to be the next Half-Life 3?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
No, because it actually exists. Now Battlefield: Dino Survival...

I'm not really sure why GTA V rumours are making news now. It's been discussed at length that Rockstar/Take 2 would be making PC, PS4 and Xbone versions of this game to maximise potential sales long term, but would keep them as secret as possible to encourage immediate sales on the current gen consoles. They spent £170million making this thing, it's fair enough to want a return as fast as possible.

Now it's out and we're waiting for the inevitable, can we have a moratorium or something on GTA V coming to X stories until something official gets announced?

Apr 28, 2008
fix-the-spade said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

I'm not really sure why GTA V rumours are making news now. It's been discussed at length that Rockstar/Take 2 would be making PC, PS4 and Xbone versions of this game to maximise potential sales long term, but would keep them as secret as possible to encourage immediate sales on the current gen consoles. They spent £170million making this thing, it's fair enough to want a return as fast as possible.

Now it's out and we're waiting for the inevitable, can we have a moratorium or something on GTA V coming to X stories until something official gets announced?
It made $1 billion in four days or so. They've more then made back their investment. That being said, I'm more than happy if they're taking their time with the PC port to make sure it's not like the GTA IV port. That thing was atrocious.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Irridium said:
It made $1 billion in four days or so. They've more then made back their investment. That being said, I'm more than happy if they're taking their time with the PC port to make sure it's not like the GTA IV port. That thing was atrocious.
Yes, yes it was. The high point of silly DRM, use your disc to satisfy Securom to gain access to you first login to open up your second login... profit! On the plus side, mod support!

I'd bet they're watching the sales figures with a pre-determined announcement threshold, want to stretch that tail as long as possible.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
So the plan is to wait until no one cares about GTA5 and then release a (probably shitty) PC port...? Brilliant

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
After RDR, yes I am skeptical. I will believe the GTAV port to PC when I see it. That said I am not excited by this title having burnt out somewhat on open world games and in particular open world games that give you no freedom in story missions.

Frylock72

Dec 7, 2009
Mcoffey said:
Irridium said:
fix-the-spade said:
Zachary Amaranth said:

Not disagreeing with you at all, but they did fix it eventually. Plus the Iron Man mod made it all worth it in the end.
I don't know about you, but I bought GTA IV on Steam either earlier this year or last year and it was just awful, so I don't know where any 'fix' came into the picture. If what I played was the fixed version, then may god have mercy on Rockstar.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Can't say that I'm surprised, since every main GTA title has come out on the PC. And seeing as how they wanted that "Social" stuff with the previous one so much, they must've had plans for this one also.

Although what I'd really like is that Read Dead Redemption port that will never exist, since I was disenchanted with the previous GTA iteration and the "serious/realistic" path they decided to take, and this one didn't appeal to much to me either.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
octafish said:
After RDR, yes I am skeptical. I will believe the GTAV port to PC when I see it. That said I am not excited by this title having burnt out somewhat on open world games and in particular open world games that give you no freedom in story missions.
GTA V will come. It sold well enough on the PC to have a decent modding community. RDR never made it to PC, and while I'm so sad it didn't I can see why. RDR was a game that was held together on strings when it came out in terms of glitches and pushing the consoles to their limit with what Rockstar wanted to jam into the game.

For them to port the game would pretty much require them to have the full team remake the game instead of it just being a port.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Frylock72 said:
I don't know about you, but I bought GTA IV on Steam either earlier this year or last year and it was just awful, so I don't know where any 'fix' came into the picture. If what I played was the fixed version, then may god have mercy on Rockstar.
Basically treat GTA4 as a run of the mill Bethesda game. Mods make it work very well. And there's a fix that rids the game of GFWL.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
octafish said:
With the next gen consoles being x86 architecture Rockstar will have very little reason for not doing PC ports of all their titles in the future unless they just want to come out as say "because fuck those PC guys"... actually, they'd have to come up with something better than that as "because fuck those PC guys" is Ubisoft's schtick and they still release their titles on PC... eventually. Maybe they'll have too dust off the "but but but PIRATES!!!" song and dance. Or they could just, you know, not be dicks. Crazy idea, I know.

Also, I know what you mean about the on-rails story missions. Kinda bleh. I prefer the sort of games that just gave you and objective and sat back and watched how you went about it.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
in other words, they dont care about pc gamers and just bring out a crappy pc port as they did with gta4. plus, gta4 had this crappy GFWL that already stopped me from getting it.
pass for me. good thing i dont care much for the series.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Now that the hype is dying down I doubt I'll get it if/when it relaeases.

Perhaps when its on sale on Steam I'll give it a try.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I expected it Q1 2014 anyway, so this is nothing new really. its around the time im getting a new PC that coudl run it anyway, so good timing?

Mcoffey said:
Irridium said:
Not disagreeing with you at all, but they did fix it eventually. Plus the Iron Man mod made it all worth it in the end.
Im usually a very patient person who sticks to the game even if its completely broken (stalker: clear sky, Total overdose, ect), but GTA 4 i didnt evne finnish (and i live GTA franchise), so i didnt get to see thier "Fix". not to mention how rockstar social club made me need to fix my registries afterward (though MS is kinda at fault there by using same registry key for multiple functions, and i see that a lot. want larger start menu? got to take other shit as well since same registry key activate both). and the atrociuos games for windows live, that kept bugging me after i didnt evne had a single game for them.
the thing wasnt even cracked properly so you had to deal with this crap even after applying no-cd cracks. (cracking your legally bought copy is completely legal).