Report: GTA V "Next-Gen" Edition Has New First Person Walking, Driving

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Is this really a good thing? Third person perspective for vehicle controls means you can see the sides of the car and a small way behind it. It's hard enough doing an intense driving mission without having to squint into mirrors or turn the character's head to check the car's blind spots.

All this realism is gradually killing my interest in sandbox gaming.

Kalashnikov2092

Feb 15, 2011
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Is this really a good thing? Third person perspective for vehicle controls means you can see the sides of the car and a small way behind it. It's hard enough doing an intense driving mission without having to squint into mirrors or turn the character's head to check the car's blind spots.

All this realism is gradually killing my interest in sandbox gaming.
It's not like they're forcing you to use this mode. It's something you can choose to play. It's all a matter of preference for whoever is playing. I'd use the first person view for on foot stuff, but still use 3rd person view for driving. It's nothing to get up in arms about.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Kalashnikov2092 said:
It's not like they're forcing you to use this mode.
Ah yes, that old chestnut.

Even if it's optional, it still requires a lot of resources to implement effectively in-game. It's not exactly a programming cinch to get mirrors to show the rear and side view - check out this post on Reddit for an explanation of what kind of grunt it takes: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/12j1jn/

All that costs time and money, and if all it does is give a nice extra fluff mode of driving when you're not under immense pressure, you really have to wonder if it's worth it. If it comes at the expense of other content, then in my opinion it's not worth it.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Kalashnikov2092 said:
It's not like they're forcing you to use this mode.
Ah yes, that old chestnut.

Even if it's optional, it still requires a lot of resources to implement effectively in-game. It's not exactly a programming cinch to get mirrors to show the rear and side view - check out this post on Reddit for an explanation of what kind of grunt it takes: http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/12j1jn/

All that costs time and money, and if all it does is give a nice extra fluff mode of driving when you're not under immense pressure, you really have to wonder if it's worth it. If it comes at the expense of other content, then in my opinion it's not worth it.
What content? The game is already made, now is exactly the time to fill it with extra fluff. They still keep launching free DLC every month and the heists seem more like a design problem then anything else (they said they are having trouble implementing the concept some time ago) so they probably just made some code monkeys work around this for a week.

If some modders did it with GTA IV way back then when to add stuff it was a complete mess then I believe that doing something similar but with the actuall tools and know hows will probably be faster.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
RA92 said:
GTA 4 already has a (little janky) first person driving/shooting mod.

<youtube=hEf7dq_jDR0>

Working dash would be great, though.
Does it work on consoles? I'm guessing that doesn't work on consoles. Because it's a mod and mods are PC only.

Thing is, not everyone is interested in learning how to build a whole PC from scratch for I guess the 300 or more dollars in pocket change PC gamers apparently have laying around to make these monsters.

And with this version, you don't need to mod it in and it's also available on consoles. Point is though, stop pointing to mods and saying "That makes this not a new feature!". Because that's ridiculous.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
josemlopes said:
What content? The game is already made, now is exactly the time to fill it with extra fluff. They still keep launching free DLC every month and the heists seem more like a design problem then anything else (they said they are having trouble implementing the concept some time ago) so they probably just made some code monkeys work around this for a week.

If some modders did it with GTA IV way back then when to add stuff it was a complete mess then I believe that doing something similar but with the actuall tools and know hows will probably be faster.
The game still doesn't have purchasable properties or vigilante missions, two of the best things from Vice City and San Andreas. I'd much rather they work on adding those than a new driving mode.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
josemlopes said:

The game still doesn't have purchasable properties or vigilante missions, two of the best things from Vice City and San Andreas. I'd much rather they work on adding those than a new driving mode.
Have you even played GTA V? It does have purchasable properties, over 20, most of which give you unique benefits and side missions and activities, as well as the extra income.

True it doesn't have vigilante missions as such, which is more of a story/narrative decision rather than a gameplay decision, although Trevor can do similar bounty hunting/bail bondsman missions, but it wouldn't make sense for these protagonists to get into a cop car and do random vigilante missions... although you can be a vigilante of sorts with the random events and crimes which you can intervene in, and when your purchasable properties come under attack from gangs or get robbed, you have to chase them down in a vehicle like the old vigilante missions, except without a siren or timer.

So there's no real need for Rockstar to work on things that are already in the game, or which wouldn't fit in with the game and are already pretty much represented in other activities and occurrences.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Jamash said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
josemlopes said:

Have you even played GTA V? It does have purchasable properties, over 20, most of which give you unique benefits and side missions and activities, as well as the extra income.
Have they put those in now? When it first came out, people told me they played through the whole game without being able to buy a single property.

And no, I haven't played it. Strangely enough, being told that the game is lacking in such core features tends to dampen your enthusiasm, although if they have changed that I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
Jamash said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
josemlopes said:

Have they put those in now? When it first came out, people told me they played through the whole game without being able to buy a single property.

And no, I haven't played it. Strangely enough, being told that the game is lacking in such core features tends to dampen your enthusiasm, although if they have changed that I'm happy to be proven wrong.
Those features have been in there since the beginning.

I don't know why those people told you those features were absent, but they were wrong.

Perhaps those people didn't play more than the first quarter of the game or rage quit after seeing Trevor's somewhat controversial introduction, because the ability to purchase properties is introduced just after Trevor is unlocked and you begin to play as him, or perhaps the those people ignored or missed the in game pop-up, texts and phone calls from other characters which pretty much told you that you should invest in a certain property, and didn't realise that a certain mission when you take over a property for you own use was an introductory tutorial to owning properties, and then those people just played through the game without ever exploring all the new icons which popped up on the map about 1/3 through and didn't do anything but go to the next story mission.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Racecarlock said:
RA92 said:
GTA 4 already has a (little janky) first person driving/shooting mod.

<youtube=hEf7dq_jDR0>

Working dash would be great, though.
Does it work on consoles? I'm guessing that doesn't work on consoles. Because it's a mod and mods are PC only.

Thing is, not everyone is interested in learning how to build a whole PC from scratch for I guess the 300 or more dollars in pocket change PC gamers apparently have laying around to make these monsters.

And with this version, you don't need to mod it in and it's also available on consoles. Point is though, stop pointing to mods and saying "That makes this not a new feature!". Because that's ridiculous.
What's up with all this aggression? I brought it up because it's relevant to the news, and anyone who's interested in the new features might want to try it out for free on the older game. Hell, I didn't even imply the two were equivalent - I said that the GTA4 mod is a little janky and doesn't have a working dash.

You don't like PCs, that's fine. But the Escapist is a site [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.289210-Poll-What-is-Your-Perfered-Gaming-Platform], so plenty of people would be interested in posts about mods.