Report: Han Solo Spin-Off Pushed Back to Christmas, 2018

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Han Solo Spin-Off Pushed Back to Christmas, 2018

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/750/750905.jpg
Disney apparently wants to continue the theme of releasing Star Wars movies around Christmas.

The stand-alone Making Star Wars [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167578-Star-Wars-Han-Solo-Standalone-Starts-Filming-January-2017] suggests that this date has been pushed back to December of the same year. The reason? Both Episode VII and Rogue One were released in December, which contributed to their success.

MSW's sources claim that December 13th, 2018, will be the new date for Star Wars: Han Solo. It does admit that the date is subject to change.

Last January, Disney shifted Star Wars: Episode VIII from May to December 2017, so it would make sense to do the same thing for Han Solo. Rogue One just recently surpassed Captain America: Civil War to secure its place as the second highest-grossing movie of 2016.

Source: Making Star Wars [http://makingstarwars.net/2017/01/rumor-could-the-untitled-star-wars-han-solo-stand-alone-see-a-december-13th-2018-release-date/]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I can't wait till they make a movie about the droid that Luke's family almost got before it broke down.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I'd never even realized it was supposed to be May. Yearly intervals just seemed a given, still a bit early for them to be squeezing these in just months apart.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Worgen said:
I can't wait till they make a movie about the droid that Luke's family almost got before it broke down.
That'll truly be an epic tale, right up to the dramatic climax where it rolls out across the sand and that thing pops out of its head.

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
And not forget the riveting tale of the group of renegades that stole the thing and the many bothans that died puting the thing that popped

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
RJ 17 said:
Worgen said:
That'll truly be an epic tale, right up to the dramatic climax where it rolls out across the sand and that thing pops out of its.
Then slowly the camera will pan out from the popped out thing, while this music plays.

Auron225

Oct 26, 2009
Worgen said:
I'm psyched for the movie about the Tatooine bar musicians, and their rise to fame despite that douchebag rival band from the next planet over being more famous.

LunarRepublic

Oct 23, 2016
RJ 17 said:
Worgen said:
That'll truly be an epic tale, right up to the dramatic climax where it rolls out across the sand and that thing pops out of its.
Fun fact: according to a non-canon comic from the pre-Disney days, his name is Skippy the Droid, and he's fucking force sensitive. [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid]

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Just once, can they not release it during the most stressful and potentially busiest time of year...

rosac

Sep 13, 2008
LunarRepublic said:
RJ 17 said:
Worgen said:
Fun fact: according to a non-canon comic from the pre-Disney days, his name is Skippy the Droid, and he's fucking force sensitive. [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skippy_the_Jedi_Droid]
I feel like an r-rated movie needs to be done. Skippy force pushes a guy into a car crash before bleeping "the names skippy, jedi-fucker" and lighting a fat cigar on the burning remains.

Igor-Rowan

Apr 12, 2016
I can't help but feel bad for those kids movies that come around during Christmas, I can only imagine:

"Daddy, can we please go see the movie with the talking animals?"
"Sorry Leia, but I've already got tickets for us to see the new Star Wars twice, so that's out of question. Now go get your siblings Padme and Boba Fett, and let's go because we have to buy merchandise on the way"

But then again, TFA ruined the box office of the fourth Alvin and the Chipmunks movie so maybe I don't feel bad at all.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
enginieri said:
Alden Ehrenreich is the Han Solo of that movie, why is Harrison Ford in the picture?
Probably because Harrison Ford's face will pop up in everyone's mind when someone says 'Han Solo'. Not Alden Ehrenreich's. Not until any promo material of him as Han is revealed, at least. And even then.

I don't envy the guy, really. He has some very big shoes to fill.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Can we do these movies outside of the main characters?
Thrawn
Mandalorians
Revan

Hell, Rogue Squadron would make a bitchin' sequel to Rogue 1, and with the EU obliterated you don't have to start with the weird bacta wars

enginieri

Apr 1, 2015
Chimpzy said:
enginieri said:
Alden Ehrenreich is the Han Solo of that movie, why is Harrison Ford in the picture?
Probably because Harrison Ford's face will pop up in everyone's mind when someone says 'Han Solo'. Not Alden Ehrenreich's. Not until any promo material of him as Han is revealed, at least. And even then.

I don't envy the guy, really. He has some very big shoes to fill.
But the thing is that the article is about that movie, not about the character. What we know about the movie? little, not even the title, only a few things, now we know the month of release, we also know who will play as Han Solo. The fact that we read Han Solo and then see Alden face and shortcircuit our brains is good, puts you to think about art and greed and nostalgia and money and...

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
LunarRepublic said:
RJ 17 said:
Worgen said:
This is fucking amazing. I can practically feel how sweaty the guy who wrote that wikia was at the time of writing.

Personally, I'm really excited to see what that tower guy on Yavin's backstory is. I wonder what he's up to when he's not stuck standing in a metal basket hundreds of feet in the air. Maybe it can be a romance between him and his forbiddon love... Mon Mothma.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Worgen said:
It ties in to the Blue Elephant from Jabba's palace film, who fought alcoholism and racism and got the Tatooine Sarlaccs the winning touchdown.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Auron225 said:
Worgen said:
I'm psyched for the movie about the Tatooine bar musicians, and their rise to fame despite that douchebag rival band from the next planet over being more famous.
Didn't canonically the cantina close and everyone lost their jobs and it was sad? Holiday special, but still counts, right?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LunarRepublic said:
RJ 17 said:
Worgen said:
I had a toy of the thing, oficial name's R5-D4.