Report: Hasbro to Buy Dreamworks

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: Hasbro to Buy Dreamworks

Reports are coming in that toy maker Hasbro may purchase movie maker Dreamworks, to become the joint company Dreamworks Hasbro.

Dreamworks, the animation studio behind hits such as Shrek and How to Train Your Dragon, is reportedly in talks with toymaker Hasbro, regarding an acquisition/merger offer. According to sources at Reuters [http://deadline.com/2014/11/dreamworks-animation-hasbro-merger-negotiations-in-works-1201282751/], Dreamworks is "deeply engaged" in two potentially game changing negotiations that could transform the company. The first one is an acquisition offer from Hasbro to forge a family entertainment powerhouse to be called Dreamworks-Hasbro, and the other talks are with Hearst to turn Dreamwork's "AwesomenessTV" into a joint venture.

Deadline claims that the Hasbro deal is still about 60 days away from becoming official, but the two companies are said to have agreed that Jeffrey Katzenberg, Dreamworks current CEO, would chair the combined operation. Dreamworks stock rose 14 percent as a result of these rumors.

Dreamworks, predictably, responded to requests for comfirmation with the bog-standard "As a publicly traded company, we don't comment on rumors and speculation."

Hasbro is the second-largest toymaker in the US, and has recently seen a strong demand for Marvel action figures, which it currently licences from Disney. There are concerns that the deal could hurt Hasbro's relationship with Disney, as Disney's Pixar and Dreamworks are often seen as direct competitors.

Sources: Reuters [http://deadline.com/2014/11/dreamworks-animation-hasbro-merger-negotiations-in-works-1201282751/]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Hasbro to buy Dreamworks? Wow... I didn't know a Toy Company in the 21st Century (Even one with a Surprisingly powerful IP as My Little Pony under it's belt) could make enough money to buy one of the biggest powerhouses in Film Animation, but I guess it's possible. Although this is all still rumors, it might not be true.

Funny how Disney buys studios while Dreamworks get's bought by other studios.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Hasbro to buy Dreamworks? Wow... I didn't know a Toy Company in the 21st Century (Even one with a Surprisingly powerful IP as My Little Pony under it's belt) could make enough money to buy one of the biggest powerhouses in Film Animation, but I guess it's possible. Although this is all still rumors, it might not be true.

Actually if you read the article it sounds more lik Dreamworks is buying Hasbro, the Dreamworks CEO would take over both companies as they merge.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
So I guess every dreamworks movie will be a commercial for a toy then.

Not honestly that much different from their usual movies.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
So we finally get some decent Dungeons & Dragons movies. And all but inevitable Magic the Gathering, "How to Train Your Dragon" crossovers.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Report.... report..... where is that report? all i see is rumors and the source claiming exclusive.... to rumors. GabeN help us all when rumors are now reports.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
More things in the hands of fewer people means bad news for everyone.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
There are concerns that the deal could hurt Hasbro's relationship with Disney, as Disney's Pixar and Dreamworks are often seen as direct competitors.
"Am I not destroying my enemies by befriending them?"
~ Honest Abe

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
dreamworks doing future animated Transformers movies? Could work

Dreamworks doing future animated MLP movies? Hell yes

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Neither one of these companies strike me as needing to buy the other. They both seem to be doing pretty well for themselves financially.

Regardless (that didn't stop Disney from buying Marvel)

The name "Dreamworks-Hasbro" and the Dreamworks CEO taking over, makes me think it's Dreamworks buying Hasbro, not the other way around. Which makes sense I suppose, Dreamworks loves toys for HTTYD, I'm sure Hasbro would love to oblige them. Meanwhile the HUB and MLP get Dreamworks backing.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Ratty said:
So we finally get some decent Dungeons & Dragons movies. And all but inevitable Magic the Gathering, "How to Train Your Dragon" crossovers.
For the magic crossovers alone, I love this idea.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
webkilla said:
dreamworks doing future animated Transformers movies? Could work

Dreamworks doing future animated MLP movies? Hell yes
Basically my thought on the issue. MLP in the hands of dreamworks could be magical.

P-89 Scorpion

Sep 25, 2014
Mr.Mattress said:

The film divisions of the big media company's are actually pretty small parts, take Disney's just ended financial year (28th September 2013 to 27th September 2014)

Profit full year
TV/Cable - $7.3 Billion
Parks - $2.6 Billion
Film - $1.55 Billion
Merchandise - $1.35 billion

Also film has the second worst return on investment after the parks which as you can imagine cost huge amounts to run compared to media and merchandise.

DreamWorks Animation in comparison only makes cartoon films (DreamWorks live action films part is a independent company).

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
RicoADF said:
Mr.Mattress said:

Actually if you read the article it sounds more lik Dreamworks is buying Hasbro, the Dreamworks CEO would take over both companies as they merge.
On the tv/movie side of things yeh, (Hasbro aren't exactly the most suited to them roles) But Hasbro still control what figures they release etc.

If anything this has happened cause Mr Bay isn't working n the next TF film. Maybe the next film wont be from Paramount.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
RicoADF said:
Mr.Mattress said:
It says in the Article it's an Acquisition deal From Hasbro, not To Hasbro. Even if Jeffrey Katzenberg does become Head of Hasbro and Dreamworks, it'd still be Hasbro owning Dreamworks, not the other way around.

P-89 Scorpion said:
The film divisions of the big media company's are actually pretty small parts, take Disney's just ended financial year (28th September 2013 to 27th September 2014)

Profit full year
TV/Cable - $7.3 Billion
Parks - $2.6 Billion
Film - $1.55 Billion
Merchandise - $1.35 billion

Also film has the second worst return on investment after the parks which as you can imagine cost huge amounts to run compared to media and merchandise.

DreamWorks Animation in comparison only makes cartoon films (DreamWorks live action films part is a independent company).
Well, color me surprised that Film's don't actually make Disney a lot more money then 1.55 Billion dollars. And Merchandise is even lower? I highly doubt that.

Still, I guess it'd make sense why Dreamworks would even take the offer, if Films only make so much money. It'd also explain why Dreamworks also releases 3 to 4 films a year as opposed to Disney Animation releasing only 1 a year.