Report - Images of NX Controller Leaked

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report - Images of NX Controller Leaked

Two separate sources have shown us similar images of the NX's reported controller.

Two separate sources have both "leaked" images of what they claim is the controller for Nintendo's upcoming NX console. The first image comes to us courtesy of reddit [http://www.2chan.net/], with a little bit more explanation about how it actually works.

Take a look for yourself:

[gallery=6066]

Redditor "perkele37", who claims he received the controller as part of an NX dev kit, said this about it:

Only the upper 'nubs' of the sticks move. The bottom part is static (kind of like the circle pad, but it moves along the bottom 'sphere'.
The rollers on the top feel and look pretty much identical to a mouse scroll-wheel. Though I do don't believe this will be the final design.
Haptic feedback is feels like Apples 'taptic' engine. Not like regular rumble.
3.5mm headphone jack on the bottom

This is of course all still 100% unconfirmed at this stage, but the fact that two separate sources on opposite ends of the world have both linked images of the same controller, it does seem somewhat legit.

That isn't to say the design couldn't change - drastically even - before release. Remember the original Banana-shaped PS3 controller?

What do you think about the design? It seems to be an even more streamlined version of the Wii U controller. I'm not really digging the weird football shape though...

Sources: 2chan (Japanese) [https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoNX/comments/4bn6nm/nx_controller_pictures/]

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Anyone else find it funny how this cropped up right after the previous Nintendo rumor was squashed, burned, and then buried at sea? It's like a game of Whack-A-Mole; beat down one rumor and another takes its place.

Anyway, I'm doing what has always been done: just wait until E3 because we all know how dicey it is trusting any sort of rumor regarding Nintendo.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I call bullshit. Like pure bullshit mixed up with some horseshit.

The fact that it look far more like some apple product that anything ever created by Nintendo is a clear indicator that this is as fake as it gets.

EDIT:
I seriously hope Nintendo comes out with a statement about the NX soon. With all the rumors going around and some people just waiting for anything (unconfirmed rumors included) to throw mud and get any potential hype for the NX killed, they need to do something. People are already mad that they don't know anything and quite a few of the rumors aren't painting a nice image of the console/handheld/hybrid/fusion reactor.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Aiddon said:
Anyone else find it funny how this cropped up right after the previous Nintendo rumor was squashed, burned, and then buried at sea? It's like a game of Whack-A-Mole; beat down one rumor and another takes its place.
Except this was originally reported last week (one of the photos even has a timestamp of 3/17), and the other rumour wasn't squashed.

So it's neither funny nor accurate.

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Aiddon said:

Anyway, I'm doing what has always been done: just wait until E3 because we all know how dicey it is trusting any sort of rumor regarding Nintendo.
It wasn't really squashed. All Nintendo said is that the report didn't come from them.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
BiH-Kira said:
I call bullshit. Like pure bullshit mixed up with some horseshit.

The fact that it look far more like some apple product that anything ever created by Nintendo is a clear indicator that this is as fake as it gets.

EDIT:
I seriously hope Nintendo comes out with a statement about the NX soon. With all the rumors going around and some people just waiting for anything (unconfirmed rumors included) to throw mud and get any potential hype for the NX killed, they need to do something. People are already mad that they don't know anything and quite a few of the rumors aren't painting a nice image of the console/handheld/hybrid/fusion reactor.
Latest we'll get some information (though don't expect more than a "we are working on the system" announcement) will be April 27th when the investment meeting is. So...yay?

OT: Ok, long post time. I'm fairly confident that at least ONE of the two NX controllers are fake. And I'm only slightly less confident that both are fake. As for the at least one theory, the biggest thing is that those two controllers, while similar, have some big differences, especially when it comes to the camera and microphone. Now, I can't find the exact picture but notice how there is no microphone for the supposed black NX controller and note that the cameras are different between the two.

Now, if I had to pick which one was the fake if one was real, I'd vote the white one, mainly because of this:

[img='http://i.imgur.com/h1KxzWr.gif']http://i.imgur.com/h1KxzWr.gif[/img]

As for the black one, I don't think that's the real one. And unfortunately as much as I want to open my mouth and blab, I need to keep my mouth shut to avoid legal issues. But yeah, the white one is definitely fake while the black is highly likely fake.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
Latest we'll get some information (though don't expect more than a "we are working on the system" announcement) will be April 27th when the investment meeting is. So...yay?
I just wish the people foaming at the mouth for NX info would take some tranquilizers already. We'll probably get a reveal at E3 where things will be made clear. And people will proceed to complain anyway because it's what people do.

Also, one thing you'll notice that probably adds to this being fake: Nintendo doesn't give a SHIT. The last time they had a big, actual leak was with the Smash Bros roster, including the gameplay video prematurely revealing Shulk. When that happened they went into rumor control at the speed of light. With this, they really don't care...meaning they're probably laughing their asses off at us. Doh.

Voxoid

Nov 28, 2013
That controller looks like it'd be incredibly uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time and it also looks like it'd be very very easy to drop or get bumped out of a persons hands.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I seriously hope for Nintendo's sake that this is fake, otherwise I'm going to have to really question their state of mind (more than I already do).

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Well if it is real then Nintendo is continuing their dedication to making their controllers shit. Actually the fact that the controller looks that terrible lends to its credibility.
They really just need to make a console with 3rd party support, if they can have 3rd party games in addition to their own original lineup then they'll handily win the console race in terms of software.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
Dango said:
Well if it is real then Nintendo is continuing their dedication to making their controllers shit. Actually the fact that the controller looks that terrible lends to its credibility.
They really just need to make a console with 3rd party support, if they can have 3rd party games in addition to their own original lineup then they'll handily win the console race in terms of software.
I mean, to be fair, I find the gamepad to be pretty comfortable, albeit large. However, wii remotes, that blocky wii pro controller, and single thumbstick handheld and later added Thinkpad nub...not the best ideas. This...other than the possible use of that cool new any shape screen technology...does look pretty dumb, though.

Also, it's not exactly as simple as "make a console with 3rd party support" since the Wii U was perfectly capable of it, and did get it for a short while. It coming out kinda late in comparison to the other consoles it's matched against power wise killed it. Publishers not willing to spend money on a different skew. So, unless Nintendo decided to make the NX x86 architecture or somehow takes over the majority of the market, the "big" third parties won't bat an eyelash. And I will gladly be wrong about Nintendo's foresight to do that but, that just seems like too obvious of a thing for them to actually do, right?

I still just find it funny that the last Nintendo console to get decent third party support was one of their roughest launches ever (gamecube), unless you count the endless piles of shovelware and crappy motion control games on the wii as "third party support," Dango :).

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Aaaaand, dead:

http://www.gonintendo.com/stories/254714-leaked-nx-controller-confirmed-fake-by-leaker-himself

Which means the other image is probably fake as well. I've said it once, I'll say it again: Nintendo rumors are 99% bullshit. You would have better luck finding El Dorado than getting info out of Nintendo.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Even though this isn't real, the fact that a lot of people believed that it might have been, shows how people are expecting Nintendo to do something weird, again.

Don't get me wrong: I like Nintendo's dedication to doing something different with their consoles and trying to shake things up, but this often becomes a detriment to the consoles lifespan, as we saw with the Wii U. 3rd party developers just aren't interested in developing for these weirdo platforms, because they are just too different from their more generic counterparts, which are currently the Xbox One and the PS4. Having a screen directly on the controller, or having motion controls as the primary input device is cool and all, but evidently, these other developers just aren't interested in creating anything for them, and as a result, these consoles are left in the dark.

Nintendo makes cool stuff, but their hardware is doing their software a disservice, and it needs to stop. It is a shame that in this case, innovation is being punished, but Nintendo just needs to do something safe, because having 2 console failures in a row can't mean good things for the company.

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Laggyteabag said:
[...] having 2 console failures in a row can't mean good things for the company.
Whoa, wait a second! Two console failures in a row? Which is the other one? The Wii that sold over 100M units worldwide and became the third best-selling home console in the world? Or the 3DS that sold 53M units? Neither seems like much of a failure to me. In fact, both sold better than the current gen darling, PS4, which did 35M units.

So what do you mean by two console failures in a row?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Fulbert said:
Laggyteabag said:
[...] having 2 console failures in a row can't mean good things for the company.
Whoa, wait a second! Two console failures in a row? Which is the other one? The Wii that sold over 100M units worldwide and became the third best-selling home console in the world? Or the 3DS that sold 53M units? Neither seems like much of a failure to me. In fact, both sold better than the current gen darling, PS4, which did 35M units.

So what do you mean by two console failures in a row?
Plus can the WiiU really be called a failure? I mean sure, it underperformed, but it's only 6 million units behind the Xbox One world wide. Sure that's 30% more Xbox Ones then WiiUs, but that's nothing compared to the 140% difference between the Dreamcast (the last true failure of a console) and both the Gamecube and Xbox, or the 425% difference between both of them and the PS2.

Hell, unless things change all three consoles are set to be outsold by their predecessors.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
You'd be covering bits of the screen with your hands - a screen that'd have built-in blindspots to begin with thanks to the location of the control sticks.

I really don't think anyone - let alone Nintendo - would legit make something so retarded.