Report: Jason Momoa is Aquaman, Will Appear in Dawn of Justice

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Report: Jason Momoa is Aquaman, Will Appear in Dawn of Justice

The Entourage joke you are about to make is uncalled for and not funny. Much like Entourage.

One of the worst-kept secrets in Hollywood as of recent was that Warner Bros. wanted former Game of Thrones actor Jason Momoa to play Aquaman, either in his own movie or in a related DC Universe. The rumor had been swirling for so long that Momoa had to ask people to stop asking him about it [http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/05/19/jason-momoa-explains-how-batman-vs-superman-rumors-got-started/] - after all, even if true he could've been under a gag order - but now HitFix's Drew McWeeny is reporting that it's a done deal: Momoa is DC's Aquaman, and he'll debut with a cameo in Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice before (presumably) moving on to a bigger role in Justice League.

Created in 1941, Aquaman's origin and backstory have been drastically revised several times, sometimes casting him as the member (or leader) of an ocean-dwelling humanoid race called Atlanteans, other times as the half-human son of an Atlantean woman and a lighthouse keeper, other times as a human raised/conditioned to thrive underwater. In nearly all variations he is amphibious, lives primarily in the sea as its protector, has some level of superhuman strength necessary to survive at ocean depths and can communicate with ocean creatures.

It is unknown what form Momoa's version will take, but apparently his character-design has already been set so that shooting of his Dawn scenes can begin immediately. HitFix's report further confirms earlier rumors that the character's rationale for appearing in the film is related to being angered by damage done to the Indian Ocean during the climax of Man of Steel.

Momoa's casting could signal that Warner Bros. is very close to having fully assembled the rumored roster for Justice League, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135362-RUMOR-Warner-Bros-to-Unveil-Seven-Film-Wave-of-DC-Universe-Movies-at-SDCC] with only The Flash and the new Green Lantern yet to be named. The studio is widely expected to make a substantial announcement related to the DC Movie Universe at SDCC in July.

Source: HitFix [http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/jason-momoa-will-play-aquaman-in-dawn-of-justice-and-we-know-how-it-will-happen]

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
Huh, I guess casting Khal Drogo as your aquaman is a good way to dispel the common conception that he's a pansy. XD I won't try to judge the casting on its own merits yet, though. if there's one thing all the casting controversies surrounding every single superhero actor to date has taught me, it's that no one can predict how good or bad an actor will turn out to be until they debut.

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
I swear to Christ, if they use that god awful design from the 90's and from the JLU cartoon, this movie will be beyond all redemption. Having cast Jason Momoa, that's the only Aquaman I can picture him as.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
He was amazing in Conan. The previous sentence is a lie.

But at least this shows that Warner Bros. are committed to their gritty, psychotic re-imagining of the DC lore. Every other sentence in this post is snarky as fuck.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
I love Jason Mamoa. But I just can't see this one, sorry. When I picture Aquaman, who I honestly think gets a bad rap from fans, I just don't picture Jason. He's too... Rugged, I guess. But I would go just to support him, regardless, because HUGE fan ever since Stargate: Atlantis. :)

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
It'd be cool if he were to channel John DiMaggio and be all "OUTRAGEOUS, OLD CHUM!!"

Alas, methinks this will not be the case.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
So Aquaman will pop up during the next Superman and Batman film. But won't stick around for whatever the other two heroes might face.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
y'know, I'm still pissed that Conan movie wasn't better because Mamoa does at least LOOK like Conan.

I can sort of see where they're going with for Aquaman; the man's a warrior king so he needs to have physical presence and Mamoa had that as Khal Drogo in Game of Thrones (even if he was speaking in a fictional language and wasn't that big in Game of Thrones). Plus I totally wanna see Aquaman with a rockin' beard.

Also, what's gonna be hilarious is seeing Mamoa against Cavill and Affleck because Mamoa is even bigger than those two.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
oh well he is a good choice if you go for the bearded warrior look of the new 52.
which i am not a fan of because Auqaman really is king first and warrior second. but hey if they put him in a proper royal-looking suit this will be no problem and all know how well they did with costume design so far. right?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
So now we have another hero in Dawn. Seriously how will this work? Avengers worked because we knew all the characters in advance. In Dawn, they are all going to be strangers. Are they going to rush through everyones history with how they became the hero they are now? Other than Batman and Superman its Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Aqua Man, Flash and Lex. Have i missed anyone?

Its like they are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
The amount of cameos in this movie is getting fucking ridiculous. They might as well just start with a JL movie at this point.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Jason Momoa is badass in everything he plays, I guess that's a smart way to take what many view as a joke Hero and turning him into a badass.

I already expect him to ride a Shark and ass-rape someone with his Trident or Harpoon arm, depending on which Aquaman they use.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
mistwolf said:
I love Jason Mamoa. But I just can't see this one, sorry. When I picture Aquaman, who I honestly think gets a bad rap from fans, I just don't picture Jason. He's too... Rugged, I guess. But I would go just to support him, regardless, because HUGE fan ever since Stargate: Atlantis. :)
I was thinking of some sort of Maori/Polynesian sea king type out of their legends. That would be a cool interpretation of Aquaman, makes him more interesting.

That said, I know nearly nothing of Aquaman. I'm just way curious about how crappy this movie is going to end up being. I'd love to be proven wrong as well.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
SonOfVoorhees said:
So now we have another hero in Dawn. Seriously how will this work? Avengers worked because we knew all the characters in advance. In Dawn, they are all going to be strangers. Are they going to rush through everyones history with how they became the hero they are now? Other than Batman and Superman its Wonder Woman, Cyborg, Aqua Man, Flash and Lex. Have i missed anyone?

Its like they are throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks.
Eh, there could be an argument made that the main 5 of Justice League are all prettymuch known relative to the Avengers (for which prior to the movies, Hulk was probably the closest one to mainstream, which may explain why his movie barely bothered with the backstory).

Or they're just banking on and pandering to comic/DCAU fans. Which would be implied by having Batman v Superman to begin with, and reading off DKR quotes to announce it. As hotly debated as it is amongst fans, most non-comics readers would be headscratching and wondering why the two superheroes are fighting.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Interesting. Not as interesting as casting Pete Holmes as Aquaman would be though. I bet you are imagining him as being a lovable doofus right, but what if he played it dead serious and gave a performance that put TDK Joker to shame?

Frankly my mind would be blown.

Not as much as it would be if Lex Luthor DIDN'T turn out to be terrible in the upcoming film.

So much is riding on this movie being excellent for a lot of the WB/DC people, with many many millions to be won or lost in many many films. Man of Steel was an awesome spectacle, but not the best movie ever. Personally I actually liked Superman Returns more, and I wasn't a huge fan of that movie.

I may be just more enamored with the IDEA of Superman than I'll ever be with any movie version (that isn't animated).

The character has so great a catalogue of moments, and means so many different things to who ever may be involved with any given project that its not surprising how many (sometimes vastly disparate) takes we end up seeing make it on screen.

Perhaps the reason I enjoyed Superman Returns more is that I didn't have to endure his origin story for the nth time for half the damn movie before the DBZ episode kicked into full gear lol.

All else aside I think that it is metaphysically impossible for this movie to be a bigger let down than Dark Knight Rises. That movie, has some serious issues from a logic standpoint. It also has the absolute most mind-boggling terrible performance of a batman villian (Bane) since Mr. Freeze in Batman and Rogin.

Why they decided to turn a (I believe) Guatemalan prisoner that was experimented on with Venom and became a minor villian at best in the Batman Rogue's gallery, and transformed him into this 99% totally unintelligible vaguely Scottish sounding (yet apparently supposed to be vaguely middle eastern) guy who had half is face mutilated so he needs to wear a Vader mask...I'll never know.

The folks over at Screenjunkies say it best with their honest trailer of it.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I could see him as that one Aquaman that lacks an arm and always looks like they tried to say "HEY HEY! I'm cool and I can do more than speak with fishes".

Auberon said:
How is Warner supposed to fit underwater niche for Aquaman spotlight?
It's probably going to be Batman and Superman walking down a street, then they see a puddle and one says "Doesn't that look like Aquaman? - nah" but then, they keep on walking, camera focuses on the puddle and there's Khal Drogo looking at the screen, with a single tear going down his cheek (underwater tears?).