Report: Leaked Images Indicate Assassin's Creed Game Set in Paris

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Report: Leaked Images Indicate Assassin's Creed Game Set in Paris

Leaked images of the Assassin's Creed game in progress include Paris landmarks, and rumors hint at the French Revolution.

Of the two Assassin's Creed games scheduled to launch this year, one may be set in Paris, France, according to leaked images sent to Kotaku by an anonymous source. The screenshots, which are from early in development, show the Notre Dame Cathedral, the Seine River, and Parisian buildings.

[gallery=2233]

The two games within the series set to launch this fall are codenamed Unity and Comet. Earlier this month, The Examiner reported on rumors and reports [http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-next-assasin-s-creed-code-names-unity-offers-4-player-co-op] that Assassin's Creed: Unity will be on current-generation platforms only and will take place during the French Revolution. Rumors over a four-player co-op for the game were also under speculation.

A game set in this period would fit in with an email within the Assassin's Creed IV universe that hinted at many potential historical settings for the series. One such period was the French Revolution. If Unity does take place in Paris, it may only partly take place there.

Also seen in the images is a new mechanic with "parkour down" and "parkour up" buttons. The assassin's identity is unclear from the images, but the character wears dark blue robes with some red and brown detailing. The new lead's name is Arno, according to Kotaku.

The Escapist has reached out to Ubisoft for comment and will update with more information when possible.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/leaked-images-reveal-one-of-this-falls-two-assassins-1547111652]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
The French Revolution would certainly be interesting, although Napoleon's reign as Emperor would also be interesting to see. I just hope it's handled better than how the American Revolution was in III.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
That would be interesting. My main concerns is their treatment of the fucked-upness that the French Revolution involved; hopefully they'll avoid either having the protagonist be so screwed up we stop caring about them, or go too far the other way and censor it to the extreme.

Well, we'll see. This is still rumor after all. But I'll be keeping an eye on this.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
roseofbattle said:
Also seen in the images is a new mechanic with "parkour down" and "parkour up" buttons.
I wouldn't be too sure that they're entirely NEW mechanics though. Those are just placeholders for the final button artwork. On a 360 controller, those buttons would be mapped to B and A respectively. B usually makes you drop down while parkouring, while A can be used to jump.

Pickapok

Eater of Doughnuts
May 17, 2011
Please, please, PLEASE let it be The Count of Monte Cristo in Assassin's Creed form. The story would lend itself so well to one of these games.

LiMaSaRe

Mar 6, 2012
Finally! what more obvious city than paris, birthplace of le parkour. That pre-Empire hive of narrow and unplanned alleys will be awesome to get around on from the rooftops. French Revolution is also perfect for assassins what with entire rival political parties having each other eliminated every few months. It would be hard to historically prove that The Assassins WEREN'T responsible for some of those killings.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
That looks freaking sweet! Still sort of wished for London, but close enough. I haven't really followed the series lately (to be honest, I played the shit out of ACII and barely played any of the rest), but the thought of jumping around Revolution-era Paris sounds fantastic. No idea where the plot's gotten to these days (what I gather is that it got crazier) but I can't say I really care.

Also, 'parkour down' is an expression people should use more often. Let's parkour down, baby!

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
TheRightToArmBears said:
That looks freaking sweet! Still sort of wished for London, but close enough. I haven't really followed the series lately (to be honest, I played the shit out of ACII and barely played any of the rest), but the thought of jumping around Revolution-era Paris sounds fantastic. No idea where the plot's gotten to these days (what I gather is that it got crazier) but I can't say I really care.

Also, 'parkour down' is an expression people should use more often. Let's parkour down, baby!
Crazier is one way to put it.

In AC4, you work as an employee for a Montreal-based video game company as a developer who uses extracted memories for video games about Assassins and Templars.

Is that meta enough for you? BECAUSE IT GETS WORSE FROM THERE.

OT:
This does sound interesting, although I really need to finish the fourth game. I'll keep an eye on it, that's for sure.

AdmiralCheez

Nov 9, 2009
I really hope it isn't a next-gen console only, because I'm not going to buy a PS4 just for one game in a series I'm getting kinda burnt out on.

Jupiter065

Aug 12, 2008
roseofbattle said:
The two games within the series set to launch this fall are codenamed Unity and Comet.
I look forward to paying $60 each for 2 half-games.

"We won't ship an Assassin's Creed every year... [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130739-Ubisoft-Wont-Ship-Yearly-Assassins-Creed-If-Its-Not-Good-Enough] we'll ship two! And they'll buy them! They'll buy them all, the fools!"
- Unnamed (and imaginary) Ubisoft Exec

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
If only they had come up with this before, since it was one of the first "sequel" ideas along with "Mayan/Aztech and Japanese/Chinese, and not now after I could barely stand the forced "hey hey look, it's Ezio again" to the point where I just stopped playing these games, I would still care.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Is it just me or does the figure in those shots appear... feminine?

Would be cool to play as a woman for once. From what I understand of AC Lore (the whole Animus memory thing), theres no plot reason why the protagonist shouldn't be a woman, so maybe its possible?

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
Simalacrum said:

Would be cool to play as a woman for once. From what I understand of AC Lore (the whole Animus memory thing), theres no plot reason why the protagonist shouldn't be a woman, so maybe its possible?
AC Liberation HD has Aveline, a female protagonist.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Fireprufe15 said:
Simalacrum said:

Yeah but thats just a handheld spinoff... one that wasn't pretty well received either if I remember correctly.

I think it has more significance if a 'core' AC game had a female protagonist.

Ruisu

Enjoy the Silence
Jul 11, 2013
Simalacrum said:
Fireprufe15 said:
Simalacrum said:

Yeah but thats just a handheld spinoff... one that wasn't pretty well received either if I remember correctly.

I think it has more significance if a 'core' AC game had a female protagonist.
Was it not? It even got a HD version released, improved graphics and all.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
It's interesting to hear about the new setting of any Assassins Creed game but I just don't know what they can do to it now to make it the least bit interesting. How is Paris any different from Rome in terms of actual parkouring and how different are the weapons? Still just flintlocks and blades, I'd imaging.