Report: Nintendo NX is Portable With Detachable Controllers

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Quellist said:
The serious issue is this is the company that brought us the Virtual Boy. When Nintendo are good they are very good but sometimes they make the worst missteps imaginable
True but this company also brought us the Game Boy line and the successor DS line. They also brought us a grand home console lineup.

It's early but I do have some faith left in them to put magic into this idea.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
I feel like it makes a lot of sense if this is indeed what they are doing. Consolidating their home and portable ecosystems means they can bring all of their development teams onto one platform instead of having them split between different two different platforms.

They can potentially avoid directly competing with their two biggest competitors. As a portable system with home console quality games it will offer experiences you just can't get on mobile while still being a portable. Meanwhile that portability will ideally make up for its "deficiencies" compared to the PS4/Xbone.

The real question will be how large an audience they can get in the overlap between people who want high quality mobile gaming and those who a cheaper(I would imagine) home console.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
They need to hurry up and reveal the damn thing officially, it will help put minds at ease and maybe get people excited if they could see it and be told the features straight up.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I really don't see this going well. I don't think Nintendo even knows what they are trying to do with this machine. It seems like it is trying to be everything, instead of specializing in handheld or home console. Unless they have something truly amazing, I don't think they can pull it off.

Mr.Mattress said:
Quellist said:
If thats true (and i sincerely hope it isn't), Nintendo can eat a dick!

There's just about no possible way (Unless they unearthed some UFO tech) that a handheld with games on cartridges is going to compete side by side with Sony and M$
You do know that the 3DS is selling on par with the XBone and only slightly less then the PS4, right? It's not impossible for a handheld to sell well while still competing with powerful consoles.
Yeah, but the 3DS is not competing directly with those systems. The NX seems like it is trying to be both, and likely that won't succeed.

LegendaryGamer0 said:
A handheld that can trade blows with the PS4 and Xbone is going to need so much juice it isn't even funny and I can only think of so many things to even try and solve the issue without utterly gimping the system or making it absolutely fuckhuge.
I remember the Sega Game Gear. It was the first handheld with color. It actually was able to do some pretty impressive visuals for a handheld at the time. It took 6 AA batteries. And they lasted a whopping three hours.

Hell, Pokemon Go kills my cellphone (which can easily manage 24 hours or longer normally) in about 3-4 hours.

Whether you meant to or not, you may have pointed out what may be the thing that prevents the NX from taking off.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Since none of this has been confirmed by Nintendo I'm going to take this news with a grain of salt. Although thinking about it, except for the cartridges part, I'm not sure how much different that is from the Wii U.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Saltyk said:
I remember the Sega Game Gear. It was the first handheld with color. It actually was able to do some pretty impressive visuals for a handheld at the time. It took 6 AA batteries. And they lasted a whopping three hours.

Hell, Pokemon Go kills my cellphone (which can easily manage 24 hours or longer normally) in about 3-4 hours.

Whether you meant to or not, you may have pointed out what may be the thing that prevents the NX from taking off.
Oh I've been pointing it out the entire time. I'm seriously interested in what their battery solution is and how cut down everything runs in mobile mode to possibly conserve power. They might take the shit route and expect people to carry around one of those fucking power banks just to use it for any length of time. I kind of hope it can charge through Micro-USB or Type-C actually if that's the case, or the system is dead on arrival since I doubt they'd be letting it charge any other way besides the dock. That would be THE death knell for the system right as it's unveiled.

I really hope Nintendo stops being stupid and makes something that doesn't need a bunch of proprietary crap to keep working.

Bad Player

Jun 21, 2013
This sounds unlikely to me... Not sure how you can have a console that's small enough to be portable while also being big enough to have two controllers.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Kibeth41 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Since none of this has been confirmed by Nintendo I'm going to take this news with a grain of salt. Although thinking about it, except for the cartridges part, I'm not sure how much different that is from the Wii U.
Well the Wii U was a home console which merely streams the game to the small screen. But ultimately requires the controller to be in close proximity to the console.

This sounds as if the console itself is the handheld, with a peripheral that puts it on the TV.

It sounds more like the Wii U in reverse.. As if they've decided to cram all of the Wii U hardware into the controller.
That doesn't sound like a very good idea....

NoPants2win

Dec 4, 2010
From what I've read I'm clearly a tiny tiny minority but this would be absolutely perfect for me. A gaming tablet with good integrated controls and nintendo first party games that can also connect to the TV for multiplayer kart. There's already over a hundred million boxes that can play COD at 1080p X 60 fps. I want something different.

Why do I feel like I'm the only one?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Jesus christ, how many times are we gonna get riled up by these bullshit "confirmed sources" about the NX and learn to wait for it to be shown off first? Nobody is learning since the last 3-4 times. Cartridges? Fuck yes. Everything else? We'll see. But we all need to wait for confirmation. All this is doing is generating fluff. Fluff to a system that has been kept quiet and firmly under wraps, and probably won't be leaked or talked about so easily. If at least one of the "reports" I've seen on this thing come true, I'll eat my words. Until then, I'm waiting for a confirmation by Nintendo

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
VirOath said:
Edit: USB and SD cards would classify as cartridges, have higher data transfer rates than discs and have a higher capacity than discs. For a while CD tech was advancing faster than chip based storage but chip based storage has caught up. There is a reason why SSDs are becoming more commonplace in the PC market, chip based storage is proving itself superior to disc based storage once more.
not only that, but also, going to cartridge remove all the moving part inside the console. remove the cd/dvd/bluray player, remove the hard drive and replace it by ssd tech, and you get a much more power efficient console...

Borty The Bort

Jul 23, 2016
I`m loving the arguments going on here right now. I`m imagining something akin to a Turkish riot,and I`m sitting here on a balcony eating popcorn watching the whole thing.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Is everyone forgetting the Gamecube was totally a portable console. I mean why else would it have a handle...?

I really don't know what to think about the NX, and every time a new rumor appears I get even more confused.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I don't see a problem with cartridges personally. For starters, shorter load times. No need for installation. You can substitute a HDD for simply ever more potent, easily exchangeable, less weighty memory cards (which doesn't cost the Earth if they break (assuming Nintendo fixes its e-purchases systems and have proper accounts). Plus it makes it so not worth the effort trying to pirate games for it.

I think someone said it above. So crazy it could work. As for portable? Ehhh, I can see the appeal. As long as it's powerful enough. Maybe have dual graphics options? Games that can run decently in portable with set display options, and another for a docking station hooked up to a TV. How nice it would be to play Co-op right next to someone, without having to move an entire console?

Or do the whole direct input-wireless contol thing. World is growing more mobile. More people living in temporary residences. Even in family situations, easy mobility is a plus. More people having more flatmates sharing common resources. The demographics of videogaming are changing, makes sense videogaming consoles keep pace if they want to be seen as better options to mobiles.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I rather like the idea. It may turn out to be total crap but I'll give it a look. Having a dockable handheld system that can consolidate my gaming library is a pretty cool idea. I wouldn't need console games and handheld games separately.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Well, that rumour certainly sounds very Nintendo-like. Still, people should wait for the official announcement before making condemnations.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Anyone sensing a repeat of the virtual boy. Let's. Two detachable controllers. Which means either the controllers are bloddy small aor the device will be bloody huge. Someone should tell nintendo that a device the size of an Ipad is not technically a handheld.

Also elephant in the room, the battery life....nuff said.

Thirdly and I think interestingly enough, people forget why the industry moved away from carts. They were expensive to make. Though I suspect what they're calling carts will just be novelty shaped sd cards.

Seriously, what is with all the japanese gaming companies going batshit crazy. First Konami, now Nintendo...and lets not sopeak of Sega and sonic... granted sonic mania looks good.