Report: Nintendo Planning to Double Switch Production

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
Report: Nintendo Planning to Double Switch Production

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1379/1379706.jpgNintendo may be planning to double its manufacturing plans to keep up with demand for the Switch.

If you wanted to pick up a Nintendo Switch but couldn't find one anywhere in stock, Nintendo may be trying to address that issue for you. Hot on the heels of reports that Nintendo sold 1.5 million Switch consoles in its first week [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/169789-Report-States-that-Nintendo-has-sold-1-5M-Switch-Consoles] comes a report that the company is looking to double its planned production.

According to a report in the Wall Street Journal [https://www.wsj.com/articles/nintendo-to-double-production-of-switch-console-1489728545], Nintendo is planning to change its manufacturing plans for the April 2017 - March 2018 fiscal year. It had originally planned to produce 8 million Switch units, but according to "people briefed on the plans," the company will now aim for 16 million. Obviously, this change is coming because demand looks to be higher than expected. The WSJ article cites sources that say Nintendo believes the Switch could move over 10 million in the next fiscal year.

Nintendo has seen a positive move on the stock market of late, with its share price rising over 13 percent in the last month. That's a marked difference from the six percent drop it saw after the Switch was announced [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168669-Nintendo-Stock-Price-Drops-Over-Six-Percent-After-the-Switch-Announcement].

We've reached out to Nintendo for a comment on this story, and will update if and when we receive a response.

[gallery=7059]

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, Nintendo ALWAYS produces too few of a product. Remember how many outlets only got single digit numbers of the NES Classic?

On the other hand, I wonder if Nintendo is overestimating demand of the Switch. Yes, selling a million in a week is a good start, but doesn't every major console do that? Even the Wii U had a strong sales start (keeping pace with the start of the Wii). But it stumbled soon after that. Assuming a strong start means long term viability is a good way to set up for failure.

I'm certain the Nintendo faithful bought a Switch or two. But what about everyone else?

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Saltyk said:
I'm certain the Nintendo faithful bought a Switch or two. But what about everyone else?
I'd love to own one after checking one out a few days ago, but not in its current state. Say Nintendo, how about you do a redesign before you ramp up production, because damn there's some glaring design flaws in there.

Blazing Hero

Feb 20, 2015
Saltyk said:
I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, Nintendo ALWAYS produces too few of a product. Remember how many outlets only got single digit numbers of the NES Classic?

On the other hand, I wonder if Nintendo is overestimating demand of the Switch. Yes, selling a million in a week is a good start, but doesn't every major console do that? Even the Wii U had a strong sales start (keeping pace with the start of the Wii). But it stumbled soon after that. Assuming a strong start means long term viability is a good way to set up for failure.

Personally I am waiting to see more games come to it. My favorite genre is JRPG's so I like things like Fire Emblem. Nintendo really screwed up the localization of a lot of games I wanted the last couple of years so I am taking a wait and see approach. If they have knocked off their habit of acting like a Nanny censoring things like swimsuits and head pats for the west then I will gladly pick one up.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Could be a good idea.
We're talking about the coming year, and especially for Xmas 2017 there could be demand, at least if they make some sort of xmas bundle. In that time the biggest games on the system will be Mario, Zelda, Skyrim, Splat00n and MarioKart. If Xmas-bundling together the system with 3 of those games for the price of the system and 1 game, current price, that might get people buying it? If it makes 15miljon units sold in the first year, that I would see as a small miracle though...

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I hope it does well for them. I think the over-all video game market is stronger for Nintendo being part of it, and varied hardware often inspires devs to try new things- even if part of that variation is somewhat less horsepower than other current systems.

But the number of systems sold only tells a small part of the tale. Nintendo may well be selling the Switch hardware at a loss, as many manufacturers now seem to. Each sale is a potential future market for Nintendo Switch games.

But the obvious questions are, and will continue to be: where are the games, and who will get them on the market?

Beyond that question, here's hoping Michael Pachter and company can shut up for once and let the situation develop organically.

senaji

Sep 28, 2014
The demand should calm down rather quickly given the catalog of games available. Only the biggest fans of Zelda can pay 400 ? for 1 game, this must represent 1% of the base of players, it is not given to everyone.