Report: Nintendo Switch's Tablet is a 720p Multi-Touch Screen

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
A 720p touch screen does not mean that it won't be able to handle 1080p when docked. The Wii-U gamepad's resolution is only 854x480, and there are Wii-U games that do 1080p. Hold your freaking fire.

720p sounds fine for the touchscreen to me. It doesn't need some overpriced Retina display to do a better than adequate job for on-the-road gaming. And if it keeps the price down and extends battery life, it may well be a good decision. My tablet is 1280x800, and somehow- GASP!- I've managed not to go blind. The 3DS is 400x240. (800x240 if you count the 3D effect, before someone gets picky.)

I am a bit perplexed by the multi-touch screen, though. Clearly, said screen is inaccessible while the Switch is docked. And while it may well be that one controller can be used as a pointer, that would hardly duplicate the functionality of a multi-touch screen. Why, then, would a developer choose to develop towards that functionality if it's only going to be available a portion of the time? Perhaps Big N is expecting mobile developers to offer cheap ports of their Android and Apple work...? But then, that raises the (still unanswered) question of Switch's online and market capabilities, with the attendant sub-questions about storage on a cartridge-based system.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
loa said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
loa said:
Why add a touchscreen if they don't make it eat 3ds and ds games?
Lack of a second screen.

Why do people want so badly for the Switch to be the 3DS? Just get a 3DS and call it a day. No point in wanting the new console to just be another way to play old games.
Yeah because why would people want to do things like play their 3ds games on their TV or have an extended game library full of great games right at day 1?
And of course everyone has a bag of holding+1 and can store all the consoles too.
Besides, it's super convenient to have to dig out another console.

Truly, nobody will solve this enigma of why one would want this.
Not having backwards compatibility would probably make the machine cheaper to produce, if it's cheaper that the PS4/Xbox One then it has a decent chance sales wise I guess. That said, I hope it does, but it's not a deal breaker for me in particular. But it does cause concerns for early adopters, small game library at launch but having old games you can play keeps people engaged with the system. I guess we will just have to wait and see.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Is this the same Eurogamer source that said the WiiU was stopping production, which Nintendo refuted?

720p on a handheld is fine. We'll see what the specs are for the TV resolution.

Or we could keep jumping to conclusions based on rumor and speculation. The Switch game pad being 720p means that the Switch is going to be less powerful than the WiiU at its 1080p. True facts.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
loa said:
It does literally nothing for people who use it as a home console.
I guess to keep it in for digitally backwards compatible Wii U games.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
loa said:
It does literally nothing for people who use it as a home console.
I guess to keep it in for digitally backwards compatible Wii U games.
That won't work since the screen is the console and it can't be hooked up to a tv and used like a controller at the same time.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
loa said:
Yeah because why would people want to do things like play their 3ds games on their TV or have an extended game library full of great games right at day 1?
Why would you want to see the 3DS Graphics on a TV? They'd look pretty horrible. Look at The 3DS Version of Hyrule Warriors vs the Wii U version. The 3DS version is awful even on the 3DS. Most 3DS games would wind up looking about as bad as PS2 games on the early PS3's. I have an extensive 3DS catalogue, putting them straight to TV would not be a smart move. Nintendo usually does everything in its power to keep its handheld games stay there. Its why we haven't seen a proper Pokemon game on home console.

And of course everyone has a bag of holding+1 and can store all the consoles too.
Besides, it's super convenient to have to dig out another console.
Your unneeded and frankly silly hostility aside, I have an SD care in my 3DS. I have over 20 games on it. Solves that "bag of holding+1" problem. Welcome to the present, where SD cards of decent size are reasonably priced and unlike the Vita, work with the 3DS.

Truly, nobody will solve this enigma of why one would want this.
Or you could just keep the 3DS and wait for the Switch to have games worth buying it for.

You seem to be quite upset that I asked my question. No idea why. Are you that desperate to throw Nintendo money to play games on a console when you already have a 3DS that can do so just fine? Why would Nintendo pull a move that would only hurt its handheld base? We both know that even if 3DS games were digitally available on the Switch, that anyone who purchased them on the 3DS Market would not have their games transferred the Switch as Nintendo has shown time and time again to want people to triple or quad dip on titles.

If you really want to play 3DS games on your TV that badly, get a capture card and call it a day. It'd be cheaper than getting the Switch and you can enjoy all the portable games on your TV or PC Monitor that you want.

Its already been announced that 3DS cartridges will not work on the Switch, so you'd have to re-buy your 3DS library for the Switch anyways. And that's if 3DS games will show up on the Switch's Digital Marketplace.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Vigormortis said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Vigormortis said:
CyanCat47 said:
Brace yourselves, the graphics nuts are coming
Not before the deluge of Nintendo Apologists.
Its not the graphic nuts that is the problem.

Its the AAA third party devs.
Or the lack thereof...
This. I don't know why in the hell Nintendo's Switch trailer showed Skyrim and NBA 2K17 when they're not even confirmed for the console itself. That's a strange move indeed.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
altnameJag said:
Is this the same Eurogamer source that said the WiiU was stopping production, which Nintendo refuted?
Eurogamer's source is the Japanese Newspaper Nikkei. Those guys have reported things that Nintendo refuted, then did, so many times I'm staring to think that this may be legit.

720p on a handheld is fine. We'll see what the specs are for the TV resolution.

Or we could keep jumping to conclusions based on rumor and speculation. The Switch game pad being 720p means that the Switch is going to be less powerful than the WiiU at its 1080p. True facts.
Agreed.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
AzrealMaximillion said:
Right.
Most of your bullshit can be answered with "because I am not you" and so are lots and lots of other people.
The only "nerve" you struck is how tedious and uncalled for your argument of "I don't have a problem therefore nobody has a problem, fyigm" is.
So that's that.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
loa said:
AzrealMaximillion said:
Right.
Most of your bullshit can be answered with "because I am not you" and so are lots and lots of other people.
The only "nerve" you struck is how tedious and uncalled for your argument of "I don't have a problem therefore nobody has a problem, fyigm" is.
So that's that.
I don't get the hostility. Really I don't. This is the kind of response that gets you called a Nintendo Apologist. The Switch has no hard details other than that it won't support Wii U disks or 3DS cartidges.

You do have to admit that pretty much says that if 3DS games hit the Switch, you'll be buying them again because Nintendo's digital market doesn't cross consoles.

Hell, they should Skyrim and NBA 2K17 as games but they're not even confirmed to be releases. Don't get so petty in defense of a console you know next to nothing about and use hopes as a means of argument.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I think the 720p limit is more a limitation of current battery tech rather than GPU processing limitations. 1080p is 2.25 times higher resolution than 720p. To render that would suck up precious battery life.