Report: Nintendo Will Show Off The NX at CES

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/994/994205.jpg
We may finally get our first look at the NX as early as next month.

The Nintendo Enthusiast [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/nx] claims the company will show off the new console behind closed doors at next year's Consumer Electronics Show in January.

Third party companies have reportedly been sent an invite to the showcase of the system, which appears to be an attempt to show them what it is capable of. This kind of thing does have prior precedent, as Nintendo did something similar in 2012 with the Wii U at CES.

The source also said that in terms of raw power, the NX was on par with the Xbox One, as Nintendo was aiming for a lower, more competitive price point.

This is still a rumor at this point, but a behind-close-doors reveal in January does line up with the earlier rumor we heard, that the system would release in Q2, 2016 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165267-Nintendo-NX-New-Console-2016].

What do you guys think of this? The low-spec idea certainly paid off with the Wii, but hasn't exactly caught fire with the Wii U. Releasing something with similar specs to the Xbox One may should make it a lot more inciting to third-parties, however.

Source: Nintendo Enthusiast [http://nintendoenthusiast.com/news/rumor-nintendo-to-showcase-nx-behind-close-doors-at-ces-details-about-power-and-price-point/]

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well, this is certainly interesting.

I'm curious to know how they will talk about it since they are very controlling in what they show and talk about, not that it's a bad thing. It can be infuriating sometimes.

I think it would be wise of them to have some similarities to something like the PS4 or Xbone just to make third-parties more interested rather than frustrated. I'm also interested in knowing how their gonna have motion controls integrated this time around since I've heard... mixed... things about the WiiU's pad. I'm almost betting that the touch pad will be upgraded to be more intuitive and friendly for use, but that's up to the Big N I suppose.

I would think they would have to keep the price low too since they are still a "family friendly" console, which would be stupid of them to ignore. Tech is becoming cheaper and cheaper, so I know I will be keeping an eye on their presser about the NX.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Again, this is a RUMOR, not a report. Which probably means it's bogus since Nintendo's info ninjas keep everything locked tight.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Nintendo better say something sooner or later. It's one reason I've advised people against buying a Wii U. I simply can't, in good conscious, tell someone to buy a console that may not even be supported by Nintendo in a year or two. Especially considering how little third party support the Wii U has. However, no one seems to know anything about the system. Or even if it is a system.

At this rate, they could end up making the same mistake all over again. Releasing the console near the end of the PS4/X1 life-cycle and end up being left behind by the PS5 and [whatever the hell they name the next Xbox]. Then, only getting some ports of games people have already played and not much else.

Tillakanesis

Dec 25, 2015
Seems like Nintendo is turning around and going to release an amazing console. Not only did rumors by trusted sources like Wall Street Journal say it's powerful even more than PS4 and can crunch so many polygons you can't even run it at 60 fps. But 3rd parties have already said to be working on it such as Square, EA Ubisoft AND we ALL KNOW ABOUT NINTENDO'S AMAZING LINE UP PLANNED. Zelda U, Pikmin 4, a RETRO GAME, Diddy Kong racing? A mainland mario game, and not to mention the obvious postponement of games that were meant to be on Wii U. and they also seem to be putting a Nintendo twist on the console with the whole handheld thing, which I personally think is smart and not a gimmick. The Wii series sucked so bad and streamlined gaming for casuals so I'm also happy Shegiru announced Nintendo thinks casuals are 'pathetic' and they are happy they can finally focus on advanced gamers. By Iwata's words 'The NX will fix a number of issues Nintendo has been experiencing the past generations'. I truelly believe the NX will be the Nintendo console we've waited for a long time, maybe Gamecube or NES standards.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
Saltyk said:
Nintendo better say something sooner or later. It's one reason I've advised people against buying a Wii U. I simply can't, in good conscious, tell someone to buy a console that may not even be supported by Nintendo in a year or two.
New Wii games (mostly for existing franchises already on the console IE skylanders) are still being released to this day, after the console has officially been discontinued, you can still ring up Nintendo and get Gamecube support nearly 6 years after it was discontinued, they've constantly been making updates to the Wii U's ecosystem (especially online) and all info we have had so far include the Wii U in their new online account system.

Nintendo are usually the last to drop support for their previous gen consoles, I convinced my brother in law (who already has a PS4) to get a Wii U for him and my nieces for Christmas and all 3 of them spent the whole day playing Mario Kart and Splatoon; With Nintendo's history taken into account I just can't understand your conscious decision to tell people not to buy a great console that would likely bring them thousands of hours of fun, I've certainly got my money's worth over the last year with Mario Kart, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 1/2, Wonderful 101, to name just a few I've spent a large amount of hours in.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
The source also said that in terms of raw power, the NX was on par with the Xbox One, as Nintendo was aiming for a lower, more competitive price point.

This is still a rumor at this point, but a behind-close-doors reveal in January does line up with the earlier rumor we heard, that the system would release in Q2, 2016 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/165267-Nintendo-NX-New-Console-2016].
No. Not like this. That thing has to be much more powerful than the other consoles, or else it will not take off. And there's no point in breaking the November release tradition.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Releasing something with similar specs to the Xbox One may should make it a lot more inciting to third-parties, however.
I'm guessing you meant "enticing."

I'm not sure it will, though. A new console with two-year-old specs that were dated then?

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I would think they would have to keep the price low too since they are still a "family friendly" console, which would be stupid of them to ignore. Tech is becoming cheaper and cheaper, so I know I will be keeping an eye on their presser about the NX.
At this point, however, "family friendly" tends to be at odds with the bit about appealing to third party devs. Which kinda makes sense. If you've bought a Nintendo console since the N64, there's a strong chance third party games weren't really a factor. Even with the Wii, which had mass appeal, it didn't go much outside of Nintendo's house.

And, I mean, that price point becomes an issues because a console comparable to an Xbone will likely have a cost similar to one. And that's not counting the touchscreen you'd like to see improved. That's comparable tech plus. I'm betting Nintendo has learned something from the 3DS.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Something Amyss said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
At this point, however, "family friendly" tends to be at odds with the bit about appealing to third party devs. Which kinda makes sense. If you've bought a Nintendo console since the N64, there's a strong chance third party games weren't really a factor. Even with the Wii, which had mass appeal, it didn't go much outside of Nintendo's house.

And, I mean, that price point becomes an issues because a console comparable to an Xbone will likely have a cost similar to one. And that's not counting the touchscreen you'd like to see improved. That's comparable tech plus. I'm betting Nintendo has learned something from the 3DS.
That's a fair point.

I'm not entirely sure how they're gonna keep the "family friendly" mentality while keeping things cheap and affordable for families. I wonder if they've just put themselves into a position where they have to have some sort of motion controls now otherwise it would be seen as a failure. I think from what we've seen from how they've handled the 3DS, I would imagine we would see something similar to that with their next console. They've been playing around with the idea of two screens for years now, and I think they're trying to get that going for their console. The WiiU tried, and I think if they just tweak a few things then it would be a great contender rather than just taking up space.

I don't know how third party devs will take to that, or if Nintendo is even talking to them about their next console. It would be interesting to see how it will play out, and I really hope that Nintendo learned something from shunning those devs since a good chunk of those games helped their consoles sell and make them a household name.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Whatislove said:
Saltyk said:
Nintendo better say something sooner or later. It's one reason I've advised people against buying a Wii U. I simply can't, in good conscious, tell someone to buy a console that may not even be supported by Nintendo in a year or two.
New Wii games (mostly for existing franchises already on the console IE skylanders) are still being released to this day, after the console has officially been discontinued, you can still ring up Nintendo and get Gamecube support nearly 6 years after it was discontinued, they've constantly been making updates to the Wii U's ecosystem (especially online) and all info we have had so far include the Wii U in their new online account system.

Nintendo are usually the last to drop support for their previous gen consoles, I convinced my brother in law (who already has a PS4) to get a Wii U for him and my nieces for Christmas and all 3 of them spent the whole day playing Mario Kart and Splatoon; With Nintendo's history taken into account I just can't understand your conscious decision to tell people not to buy a great console that would likely bring them thousands of hours of fun, I've certainly got my money's worth over the last year with Mario Kart, Super Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Bayonetta 1/2, Wonderful 101, to name just a few I've spent a large amount of hours in.
Well, the person that springs to mind was a coworker. He was asking as he and his wife were thinking of buying a console for when their grandkids visit. I asked the kids ages and what, if any systems, he and his grandkids had. Their ages were 7 and 17, and while I think he owned a Wii, I think he said his grandkids had a Wii U.

Now, a year before the time he had asked, when we knew nothing of the NX even existing, I would have suggested a Wii U. However, combining the rumored NX, with what he told me, I saw no reason to tell him to invest his extra money into the Wii U. I advised him of the rumored NX and suggested he wait until we have more information.

Mind you, I tend to be pretty cheap in certain things. And I am not going to recommend someone purchase something I wouldn't even consider purchasing, especially given his circumstances.

To address your other comments, it sounds more like you're desperate to prove me wrong when you say that the Wii is still getting new games. We all know it had about Jack and shit third party support. And I haven't heard of the Wii getting any new Mario or other titles. And having some tech support for Gamecube isn't exactly impressive. It isn't that old, nor would it require dedicated Gamecube operators or anything.

As for the Wii U games, I wouldn't exactly be expecting it to get too many new titles after the NX comes out. Maybe it would have lesser versions of NX titles for the first year or two, but after that, I would expect a steep drop off. I'd say the same about third party games, but it would have to be getting third party support in the first place. One or two games does not equate to third party support in my book.

As for "thousands of hours of fun"? "Your mileage may vary." Especially given the above situation.

I'm not saying the Wii U is a bad system. I'm merely saying that I wouldn't recommend it given current situations. Hell, if I knew nothing of the NX, I would have recommended it to my coworker and anyone else I might end up discussing the issue with depending on their needs. Hell, I hate Xbox and I have recommended people buy Xbox Ones for their kids, if their kid's friends had Xbox Ones. So, it has nothing to do with hating the system or not.

It's entirely based on the fact that I can not, in good conscious, recommend someone buy a system that may be made obsolete by it's own manufacturer in the near future. And frankly, the fact that you might bothers me. It feels like you would be neglecting to mention the potential new system and misleading the person to purchase something simply because you like it. I would much rather lay all the facts out, give my recommendation and leave the decision to the person actually paying for the system.

If I really feel someone may benefit from a Wii U, I may recommend it, but I would still ensure they know of the NX, so that they wouldn't make a purchase uninformed. I merely can't see a situation I would actually recommend it simply because the NX is a thing.

Now, if the NX ends up not being a new console, but a service, that will make all of this pointless. And would only serve to demonstrate how Nintendo being so tight lipped has actually hurt the Wii U. I mean, I doubt I'm the only one who has been turned off of the Wii U simply because of the rumors of the NX.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
That's a fair point.

I'm not entirely sure how they're gonna keep the "family friendly" mentality while keeping things cheap and affordable for families. I wonder if they've just put themselves into a position where they have to have some sort of motion controls now otherwise it would be seen as a failure. I think from what we've seen from how they've handled the 3DS, I would imagine we would see something similar to that with their next console. They've been playing around with the idea of two screens for years now, and I think they're trying to get that going for their console. The WiiU tried, and I think if they just tweak a few things then it would be a great contender rather than just taking up space.

I don't know how third party devs will take to that, or if Nintendo is even talking to them about their next console. It would be interesting to see how it will play out, and I really hope that Nintendo learned something from shunning those devs since a good chunk of those games helped their consoles sell and make them a household name.
One thing I hope they have learned is to not foist whatever novelty they have on every game in same way, shape or form. Some of the best DS games didn't use the touch screen as a touch screen, or the uses were basically alternative controls. I hated the 3D on the 3DS, only turning it on when necessary and hating that I even had to do that. And honestly, the use of the Wii tablet thingy is one of the reasons I didn't buy a Wii U. I think some good games could come from it, but I fully expected the tablet to be shoehorned into 90% of the games. And especially when your wrists are crap, it's not worth gambling a couple hundred bucks to find out.

But maybe the 2DS is a sign they've learned.

I do wonder if they can juggle family-friendly and mainstream (at least, in the US). Though, TBH, I'd be fine if they just worked on producing good games for a solid console.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
It seems awfully rushed, if the NX is indeed a "next gen" home console meant to replace the Wii U.

xaszatm

That Voice in Your Head
Sep 4, 2010
Saltyk said:
Nintendo better say something sooner or later. It's one reason I've advised people against buying a Wii U. I simply can't, in good conscious, tell someone to buy a console that may not even be supported by Nintendo in a year or two. Especially considering how little third party support the Wii U has. However, no one seems to know anything about the system. Or even if it is a system.

At this rate, they could end up making the same mistake all over again. Releasing the console near the end of the PS4/X1 life-cycle and end up being left behind by the PS5 and [whatever the hell they name the next Xbox]. Then, only getting some ports of games people have already played and not much else.
Yeah...you should probably stop doing that. Let me remind everyone that the only reason the NX was announced was because Nintendo didn't want people thinking they were leaving the console business when they announced their mobile games collaboration. We know litterally NOTHING else about this the NX except we will know more in 2015. Furthermore, only one Nintendo device was ever released after announcement. Most of Nintendo's consoles takes years after rumors before release. Everything we have ever discussed for the NX has been rumors or Noegaf people really really desperate for Nintendo to follow the party line.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
xaszatm said:
Most of Nintendo's consoles takes years after rumors before release.
Right, you said it: most. And he doesn't want to ask people to risk money on the speculation that this is going to continue that.

Why? Remember how pissed people were at the price cut of the 3DS? That's why.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Something Amyss said:
xaszatm said:
Most of Nintendo's consoles takes years after rumors before release.
Right, you said it: most. And he doesn't want to ask people to risk money on the speculation that this is going to continue that.

Why? Remember how pissed people were at the price cut of the 3DS? That's why.
Exactly. And we have heard rumors of the NX, but have no idea what it might be. Some rumors suggest that the NX is a console and others seem to suggest a service. Not knowing means I can't really say with confidence that buying a Wii U would be the best for the people I am talking to. And despite what some may think, the console is still $300 and that's not cheap. I just paid $300 a week ago to get my brakes fixed. It is an investment. I'd hate to tell people to spend their hard earned money on a bad investment, no matter how small the cost.

More over, I already stated that the person I had talked to recently about this would largely be buying it for when his grandchildren come over. He's probably not going to be sitting down and playing it himself too much.

To clarify my position on recommendations:
I will recommend a system I dislike if I find that it would be the best fit for the person I am suggesting it to. I am not some fanboy who will recommend people buy my favorite just because it is my favorite. Most times I don't even tell people which system I play on except to inform them of potential bias.

I wouldn't recommend the Wii U in general right now for the same reason I wouldn't have recommended the PS3 a year before the PS4 came out. The PS3 would probably be much cheaper in a year and will slowly stop being supported over the next year or two.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Saltyk said:
Exactly. And we have heard rumors of the NX, but have no idea what it might be.
Also, we've been hearing about it for a couple of years now. So the development time is a non-starter. If it is a new console (and you're correct, we don't know it is), that doesn't mean it couldn't be coming out within the year. This will be our first "look," but it's not the first we've heard, either officially or unofficially.

Why Nintendo announced it is actually kind of irrelevant: they announced something that could be a successor nd then played it close to their chest. Well, that's a bad idea. I'm not going to spend my money on a Wii U without knowing what NX is. Also, whether it can play Wii U games, for example. If it replaces a Wii U, why pay for it? Well, I mean, depending on whether the NX looks good, and we don't know what it is....

Circular talk aside, this strikes me as a big mistake. People were going to assume a successor console anyway, so not clarifying what it is makes people assume the worst. I don't blame anyone for taking at least a "wait and see" approach to the Wii U and its possible successor.

I wouldn't recommend the Wii U in general right now for the same reason I wouldn't have recommended the PS3 a year before the PS4 came out. The PS3 would probably be much cheaper in a year and will slowly stop being supported over the next year or two.
Yup. Makes sense to me. I mean, at least knowing the PS4 is (well, was, but from this hypothetical) coming out, you can make an informed decision about purchasing one or the other. With the NX, we don't know what to make of it. So while someone might still pragmatically choose the PS3, it doesn't make sense to choose a Wii U right now because we don't have that level of information.
PS3, though.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
xaszatm said:
Yeah...you should probably stop doing that. Let me remind everyone that the only reason the NX was announced was because Nintendo didn't want people thinking they were leaving the console business when they announced their mobile games collaboration. We know litterally NOTHING else about this the NX except we will know more in 2015. Furthermore, only one Nintendo device was ever released after announcement. Most of Nintendo's consoles takes years after rumors before release. Everything we have ever discussed for the NX has been rumors or Noegaf people really really desperate for Nintendo to follow the party line.
And because they're bored out of their minds because it's winter and gaming news grinds to a halt. Fact of the matter is we're not going to hear or see anything about the NX until E3. The only thing Kimishima has even hinted about it is that it won't be like the Wii or Wii U, which means anyone expecting a "traditional" console will be highly disappointed. Then again after four releases where Nintendo bucked the trend of a "traditional" console anyway you'd think people would have caught on that Nintendo was finished with that stagnant, falsified idea. Then again I shouldn't be surprised that gamers are willfully ignorant.

Anyway, like I said before, people should just get over it and get with the facts: rumors don't come out of Nintendo, so this is all pointless. Go do something constructive like play Splatoon, Smash Bros., Mario Kart, or Xenoblade X

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
The Wii sold because MOTION CONTROLZZ and the casual market (people who don't usually play games) bought it by the ton. However, the Wii had almost 0 staying power because no one wanted to develop for it for multiple reasons. The Wii U didn't even have a gimmick this time to make up for its lackluster power and it sold terribly. Although to be fair, I like the idea of being able to still play games even if the TV is taken up by whatever else. That was a cool idea.