Report: PS+ "AAA" Games Coming to PS4 Later This Year

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Report: PS+ "AAA" Games Coming to PS4 Later This Year

"Good stuff" is coming to the PlayStation Plus' PS4 Instant Game Collection later this year according to a "Sony guy high up in the food chain."

Disappointed by the PlayStation 4's PlayStation Plus offerings so far? If so, members will be happy to know that the service will allegedly offer "AAA" games as part of its Instant Game Collection to PS4 owners later this year. This was outed by reliable industry source Ahsan Rasheed, or more commonly known as "thuway" on Twitter and on NeoGAF. follow-up tweet, Rasheed claims [https://twitter.com/thuway/statuses/441052471700357120], "I'm told "Good stuff is coming, be patient this is the typical Sony cycle." I've also been told later this year PS Plus on PS4 will have AAA."

While it might be an obvious deduction that full-fledged retail games will make its way onto the PS4's Instant Game Collection, it's still nice to hear some sort of "validation" of some sort. Of course, given that this didn't come from an actual Sony rep, do treat it with a grain of salt.

Sony's PlayStation Plus service has been a success on the PS4 so far, with Sony revealing it has tripled its subscriber base since the console's launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131858-PlayStation-Plus-Subscribers-Triple-In-Volume-Since-PS4-Launch]. Given that the premium service is needed to play online multiplayer for most of the PS4's games, that hike should be expected.

Are you disappointed with Sony's monthly game for the PS4's PS+ Instant Game Collection? Personally, I'm fine with the past few months' freebies with February giving us the horror game Outlast, while this month has the service giving us a better version of PS3 shoot-'em-up, Dead Nation, which are both solid games in my opinion.

Source: PSU [https://twitter.com/thuway/statuses/441052471700357120]

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Thankfully, I have a PS3 and Vita as well as the PS4. Altogether, PS+ has been well worth it. But the PS3 has a huge library from which to draw upon. So, we're getting Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider, etc. PS4? Not so much.

And with PS3, I think they know those with an account likley have most of this stuff on Disc already. I do. But it is nice to have at my finger tips, not disc swap necessary.

PS4 doesn't have much of a library and they don't want to remove incentive from people to buy future AAA PS4 games. And it isn't PS3 BC. If they want to offer Borderlands 2, it will have to be a full HD remake. EDIT: Or, er, even more H.D.er! (Maybe some PC stuff is easier to port?)

My advice: have all 3 if you can. More stuff than I really have time to play!

aka the seeker

Mar 6, 2014
I assumed they were talking about Drive Club. There's supposed to be PS+ version and it's coming out soon. Amazon had April 1 as the release date on the email they sent me today.

Danial

Apr 7, 2010
I don't really wanna live in a world where Don't Starve is not considered the "Good Stuff" apart from contrast (average game) the free PS+ games have all been stellar.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
Being as the PS4 has just dropped, it's obvious that there won't be any AAA titles for free in the 1st few months of release. I suspect Knack will be going to PS+ towards the end of the year, it's a Sony title after all. That and Drive Club is touted to be a PS+ offering.

When the instant game collection started on PS3 it was with long established titles. It's all a case of good trhings come to those who wait. I've still got my PS3 and play both consoles evenly at the momen. I'm looking forward to some Dead Nation Co-op with my wife as the PS3 version (also from PS plus membership) was great fun.

ShadowGandalf01

Oct 3, 2011
It's understandable that the plus games haven't been "AAA" so far. The console is only just over 3 months out. Unless they gave out brand new titles, there wasn't much else they could do aside from some smaller titles. I'm looking forward to seeing what the future holds though.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Yeah when we're only talking launch titles it's not a surprise that the AAA has been lacking. I'm actually kind of curious that they feel they'll have enough AAA games to do this sort of promotion within the year

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Gorfias said:
Thankfully, I have a PS3 and Vita as well as the PS4. Altogether, PS+ has been well worth it. But the PS3 has a huge library from which to draw upon. So, we're getting Metro Last Light and Tomb Raider, etc. PS4? Not so much.

And with PS3, I think they know those with an account likley have most of this stuff on Disc already. I do. But it is nice to have at my finger tips, not disc swap necessary.

PS4 doesn't have much of a library and they don't want to remove incentive from people to buy future AAA PS4 games. And it isn't PS3 BC. If they want to offer Borderlands 2, it will have to be a full HD remake. EDIT: Or, er, even more H.D.er! (Maybe some PC stuff is easier to port?)

My advice: have all 3 if you can. More stuff than I really have time to play!
Basically what I thought. The PS4 doesn't really have the mass of games to actually have that much going for it. Developers are still engaged in projects on PS3 and Xbox 360 and until they have finished with those previous engagements the current generation will suffer from it. Indie developers often have shorter development time so they make up more of the variety right now and that's why they dominate the instant game collection.

I have little doubt that they will make the service worthwhile. I have loved it on PS3.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
What turns me off in terms of PS4's Plus offerings is not that the games are short indie games, but that they just do not interest me and even if they did interest me, I would get them on PC. After all, "it's better on PC." (The Console Wars Musical on YouTube)

I would get a PS4 if inFamous: Second Son goes on Plus or Kingdom Hearts 3 is released, whichever comes first. I might get it if there's a discounted bundle and a really good exclusive game too. "But for the time being, the selection of games is quite lame." (Matt & Miller Reviewsicals: Playstation 4 (Boston Style) on YouTube)

Sande45

Mar 28, 2011
PS+ is really not priced correctly for 1 indie game per month. I understand why they don't have AAA games yet on PS4, but that doesn't make the pricing any less bullshit for those who only own a PS4.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Danial said:
I don't really wanna live in a world where Don't Starve is not considered the "Good Stuff" apart from contrast (average game) the free PS+ games have all been stellar.
I was thinking this.

Dont starve is great, Resogun is great, I havent got round to outlast yet but from what i've heard it's good.

TBH I'm pretty happy with the PS+ offerings so far.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
Sande45 said:
PS+ is really not priced correctly for 1 indie game per month. I understand why they don't have AAA games yet on PS4, but that doesn't make the pricing any less bullshit for those who only own a PS4.
Isn't PS+ the same cost as Xbox Live though?

You seem to get more of PS+ than off Xbox

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Tropicaz said:
Isn't PS+ the same cost as Xbox Live though?

You seem to get more of PS+ than off Xbox
No, Playstation Plus is cheaper than Xbox Live. For one month it's $5 (there was never an option for just one month before the PS4), for 3 months it's $18, and for a full year it's $50. Xbox Live's prices went up a few years ago, where now 3 months of Gold cost $25 and a year costs $60. As someone who has owned both at one point I will say that I got way better deals with PS Plus than with Gold, but then again Live used those stupid Microsoft Points when compared to Sony using actual cash. The only thing required for PS Plus nowadays is playing online multiplayer for the PS3, which upset a few people, but you still have access to other things such as the store and Netflix, as opposed to requiring Gold membership to access Netflix on the Xbox 360 and One.

For me, I can understand why some people are upset that it costs money to play online multiplayer for the PS4 when it's free on the PC and Wii U (although the only game that currently can be played online are these ones), but at the same time I can understand it. As long as Sony improves online quality with the money then I don't care, and it doesn't affect me as much because I play mainly single player games and don't care for multiplayer really at all.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Just look at the games being offered on PS3 as part of plus just this month;

Uncharted 3
Borderlands 2
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Bioshock Infinite

Sony have proved they're offering up AAA games, so as soon as we've got some games out for the PS4 I'm sure some will appear on PS Plus.

Is it worth the price? Damn straight. Between 6 AAA (or at least 4) on PS3 and then one decent indie title on PS4 and then online on top of that? Well worth it.

If you've only got a PS4 I can see how people might be little irritated, but I still believe a decent indie game and online for the relatively cheap price is worth it.

Glad to hear Sony is planning PS4 AAA games as part of PS Plus. I always expected this but it's always nice to receive confirmation.

The Hungry Samurai

Hungry for Truth
Apr 1, 2004
If you own a Playstation console, a yearly subscription to ps+ is a no brainer on freebies alone. I've had ps+ and live platinum. There is no contest.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I have to agree that it's rather unrealistic to expect brand new AAA games to be appearing on the PS4 already. The line up they have offered to this point is actually pretty good, even if only Contrast has really personally interested me. What I would actually like to see in the interim is some ported versions of the big PS3 titles.. but maybe I'm in the minority on that since I don't have a PS3 of my own.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Yopaz said:
Developers are still engaged in projects on PS3 and Xbox 360 and until they have finished with those previous engagements the current generation will suffer from it.
I'm trying to recall how long it took till Gen 7 was in full swing. By the end of Gen 6, the original Xbox was starting to put out 720P games like Tony Hawk Underground 2 that looked pretty gen 7ish.

It wasn't until, maybe the first Bioshock (2008?) that things really looked like something really new and different.

At that rate, will it be 2016 before we really see great Gen 8 console stuff?

Hopefully not. Gen 8 is probably going to be a lot easier to program for. Maybe about another year. Then, things like Killzone 4 can be free downloads.