Report: PS4 Outselling Xbox One 3-to-1

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
ticklefist said:
I'd like to see the Xbox One succeed. They didn't show up to E3 with a bunch of zombie games like Sony. They showed up with stuff that looked fun.
Dont worry. They are NOT failing, no matter what kind of picture you hear coming out of Sony fanboys mouths. Its doing well, compared to the 360s launch, and that chalks up success for the Xbox. But it goes unseen, because the PS4 is selling in ridiculous quantities right now, which can easily make it look like the One is NOT successful, which is the furthest thing from the truth. Also, alot of people are not paying attention to history... the situation was completely reversed last gen, and Sony obviously didnt flounder, fail, or go out of business. They were able to make the PS3 a success as well, and were able to rise up and be a staunch competitor for the 360, which is a great thing for all of us gamers. Xbox One, while its numbers are not matching up at the moment with the PS4, WILL catch back up and make this a slugfest, mark my words.

The competition between these two companies makes them perform better, do right by the customer, and put out better quality stuff... all of which is a win for us gamers. Congrats, PS4 and all its fans, your console is kicking butt and taking names... for now. But the tide will turn, and the momentum will switch... and then it will switch again, and again. You are hiding your head in the sand, if you think it wont.

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
gamegod25 said:
"only shipped 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers"

And as we all know shipped is not the same as sold. Always bothers me when they disclose shipped numbers but not sales numbers, because it just gives the impression that sales are not good and are trying to spin it to sound better.

Honestly I do hope that the Xbone flops hard and this news does make me smile.
Sony's numbers are shipped as well they just use sold as in sold to retailers this is from a financial report after all.

Sony will give out sold to consumer numbers but we will have to wait for a new press release when another milestone is reached (probably 10 million).

youji itami

Jun 1, 2014
RandV80 said:
It's obvious that Sony is winning here, but what I want to know is how did the Wii-U do in comparison to the Xbox One last quarter?

Sony
3.5M PS3s & PS4s shipped
750K PSV/TV & PSP shipped

Microsoft
1.1M XB1/360

Nintendo
510K Wii U & 90K Wii shipped
820K 3ds+2ds.

There the most important information about the 3 month quarter ending 30th June 2014.

Sampler

He who is not known
May 5, 2008
RandV80 said:
It's obvious that Sony is winning here, but what I want to know is how did the Wii-U do in comparison to the Xbox One last quarter?
Half a mil. apparently: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/30/nintendoh_no_games_maker_takes_96m_quarterly_loss/

Riff Moonraker

Mar 18, 2010
masticina said:
The power of making a wanker out of yourself the first moment you bring something out. Yup it does this, though the xbox one looks allot less a jerk then it did in the begin. The damage is kinda done and well yeah it is a repeat of what happened to Sony with the PS3.

The Xbox One is not a terrible console it just lost the PR war by its own doing. And it now will have to deal with being not first. Geeh sounds like the PS3 doesn't it!

I remember buying the PS3 at launch at yes way to expensive. And I remember waiting and waiting and waiting, this could take a while. All the while the Xbox 360 was getting some pretty neat titles. But hey I already put my money in the PS3.

Back to now, I have not even a WiiU, ha. And you know how funny that is the WiiU actually has quite a bunch of good games. That might actually become my first "next gen" console this round. It is a good thing to wait really and see what is going to happen.

In the end it stays games make or break the console. And what is needed is enough good games then the problems are well over. I haven't decided yet what console is for me and I don't really feel I need to yet. I got my PS3 games to keep me busy. I might buy a WiiU because it really is getting good. And the question Xbox One or PS4, well future will tell.
Sort of along the lines of what I was saying in my last post, too. Also, you have a very valid point about the games. In all honesty, even though I got the One at launch, my 360 time dwarfed my time on the Xbox One. But it has steadily been evening out, and this fall makes a first for me. Every year when the fall glut hits, I have picked and chose a few games I felt I "had to have", and that would be it. This year I have preordered EIGHT games, and only one of them is for the 360. Every other one is for my Xbox One, and it directly reflects their E3 showing this year. I am sorry, but they kicked ass, and did the one thing I have been begging them to do since they put out the Kinect, and that was go back to just showing GAMES, and they did, and here they come. Sure, the One is taking it on the chin, right now, and guess what? They SHOULD be after their launch, and the humble pie they are having to eat has caused changes on their part, and that is good news for us Xbox fans. They are going to come out of this swinging, and are most certainly not done. Sony fanboys will digress this all day long, and I am sorry, but the general consensus is that the 360 took last gen, and I wholeheartedly concur. The champ from last gen isnt down for the count, and is going to put up a hell of a fight this gen, too.

The thing I am getting tired of saying over and over, though, is that this is good for ALL of us gamers, and I cannot understand how fanboys on either side of the fence cannot see this.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
My reaction to seeing the headline-

That being said, I don't want the Xbone180 to totally fail. Competition is good for consumers. I do want them (and other manufacturers) to be reminded of how shitty their plans were for the "future of gaming".

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
StewShearer said:

Sony's latest financials have revealed that it sold 3.5 million PlayStation consoles last quarter compared to 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox Ones.

It took me less than five minutes to get to my local Best Buy after I received the text alert informing me it had PS4's in stock. Even so, by the time I got there was already a line out the door, filled with gamers of all shapes, ages and gender excitedly talking about Sony's new console. Joining them in line I soon found myself standing with an even longer tail of people falling in behind me until finally store associates had to start informing people thatthere wouldn't be enough for everyone.

Granted, this sort of spectacle is nothing new. Waiting in long lines to get a shiny new console is almost a gaming ritual at this point. That said, recent reports would seem to indicate that the PlayStation 4's success has extended well past the excitement of early adopters scrambling to get their hands on the latest machine. According to Sony's latest financials, the company saw a 95.7 percent year over year increase in its gaming based revenues, adding up to 2.5 billion dollars in sales. A note in this report pinned this growth directly on the success of the PS4 and its attached services.

Perhaps more notable than these percentages however are the actual sales numbers revealed by the report. During this past quarter Sony has apparently sold 3.5 million consoles (PS3 and PS4 combined) to customers. This, of course, is substantially more than Microsoft's Xbox line which, according to its own figures, only shipped <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-22-1-1-million-xbox-consoles-shipped-last-quarter>1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers during the same time period. It's worth mentioning that this doesn't necessarily mean that the Xbox One is doing badly. That said, it definitely seems like the PlayStation brand has recaptured the stride it arguably fumbled during the last generation. We'll be interested to see, of course, how long it can hold on to it.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-31-games-revenue-up-96-percent-for-sony-year-on-year>GamesIndustry International

misleading title is misleading. You even state in your article that the numbers are of both new and old Gen combined. So the PS4 did not sell 3:1 over the X1. Unless I misunderstood something.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
gamegod25 said:
My point is that selling/shipping units to retailers is not the same as actually sold to customers. The way they present the numbers is to imply the latter, normally to make it sound like it is selling well. Sure they may have shipped 1.1 million units combined but the number of actually sold may be much less. That both numbers include both current and last gen consoles doesn't help make it any easier to measure how well the PS4 and Xbone are selling respectively.

But even taking all that into account that number is still pretty pitiful for MS.
And my point is that this is the standard way the business is tracked. There's very little reason for it to be otherwise except for "Sony vs Microsoft" threads, which they have very little reason to accurately support.

hickwarrior said:
So, in how many countries is the xbone available? Because I think that might have helped with that number.
Considering it's available in the largest markets, I doubt it's a significant factor. Though I doubt "we're behind because we don't WANT to sell to Uzbekistan!" is an effective defense. More specifically, the US is kind of their bread and butter, and it's not moving units here in satisfactory numbers. I'm not saying there's no effect here, just that if they can't even sell in the markets they are supporting, there's probably a bigger factor her.

Seriously, why stagger the release like this in the first place?
One of the primary reasons was Kinect. At launch, it wasn't functional in the languages of every market. I seem to recall it wasn't functional even in some of the languages where they did market it. This was one of the big problems with Kinect integration, and Microsoft basically doubled down on it. Considering it was an essential function (or so they claimed), they couldn't release it in other markets.

Basically, yeah. It was stupid. Everyone saw that. But Microsoft had painted themselves into a corner.

Casual Shinji said:
Speak for yourself. Standing in line for the newest videogames/consoles seems to be an American thing only. I can't say I've ever stood in line for a new release, I simply just walk in the store and buy it. :)
Trust me. It seems weird even to a lot of us.

It's remarkable though that this is all thanks to that one Microsoft conference, because neither console has a killer app, they're priced the same, and while the Xbone is a bit weaker I'm sure most people aren't even be aware of this. It's still the first year though -- the PS3 showed how things can turn around, but it was 200 bucks more expensive and about a year late. If the Xbone is already falling behind for no reason...
Well, it's not failing for no reason. Barring "killer apps," people are going to go where the games look better. And since 1080p is still a buzzword with most consumers, the fact that one more readily does it over the other does help. They may not know what's under the hood, but they can easily find out which version is slightly shinier. And after all, they're only recently the same price (in the states, at least).

A lot of things helped the PS3 turn around, but one of the big ones was people learned to program for it. And ports started to look as good or better on the PS3. Maybe not always (and some games still run like crap), but often enough to count. If people are reporting Sony has the definitive versions, that's going to boost sales for them over the Xbone.

Qizx

Executor
Feb 21, 2011
martyrdrebel27 said:
StewShearer said:

Sony's latest financials have revealed that it sold 3.5 million PlayStation consoles last quarter compared to 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox Ones.

It took me less than five minutes to get to my local Best Buy after I received the text alert informing me it had PS4's in stock. Even so, by the time I got there was already a line out the door, filled with gamers of all shapes, ages and gender excitedly talking about Sony's new console. Joining them in line I soon found myself standing with an even longer tail of people falling in behind me until finally store associates had to start informing people thatthere wouldn't be enough for everyone.

Granted, this sort of spectacle is nothing new. Waiting in long lines to get a shiny new console is almost a gaming ritual at this point. That said, recent reports would seem to indicate that the PlayStation 4's success has extended well past the excitement of early adopters scrambling to get their hands on the latest machine. According to Sony's latest financials, the company saw a 95.7 percent year over year increase in its gaming based revenues, adding up to 2.5 billion dollars in sales. A note in this report pinned this growth directly on the success of the PS4 and its attached services.

Perhaps more notable than these percentages however are the actual sales numbers revealed by the report. During this past quarter Sony has apparently sold 3.5 million consoles (PS3 and PS4 combined) to customers. This, of course, is substantially more than Microsoft's Xbox line which, according to its own figures, only shipped <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-22-1-1-million-xbox-consoles-shipped-last-quarter>1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers during the same time period. It's worth mentioning that this doesn't necessarily mean that the Xbox One is doing badly. That said, it definitely seems like the PlayStation brand has recaptured the stride it arguably fumbled during the last generation. We'll be interested to see, of course, how long it can hold on to it.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-31-games-revenue-up-96-percent-for-sony-year-on-year>GamesIndustry International

misleading title is misleading. You even state in your article that the numbers are of both new and old Gen combined. So the PS4 did not sell 3:1 over the X1. Unless I misunderstood something.
Considering it's PS3/PS4 versus XBone/Xbox360 we would assume it would equal out somewhat.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
Riff Moonraker said:
Sort of along the lines of what I was saying in my last post, too. Also, you have a very valid point about the games. In all honesty, even though I got the One at launch, my 360 time dwarfed my time on the Xbox One. But it has steadily been evening out, and this fall makes a first for me. Every year when the fall glut hits, I have picked and chose a few games I felt I "had to have", and that would be it. This year I have preordered EIGHT games, and only one of them is for the 360. Every other one is for my Xbox One, and it directly reflects their E3 showing this year. I am sorry, but they kicked ass, and did the one thing I have been begging them to do since they put out the Kinect, and that was go back to just showing GAMES, and they did, and here they come. Sure, the One is taking it on the chin, right now, and guess what? They SHOULD be after their launch, and the humble pie they are having to eat has caused changes on their part, and that is good news for us Xbox fans. They are going to come out of this swinging, and are most certainly not done. Sony fanboys will digress this all day long, and I am sorry, but the general consensus is that the 360 took last gen, and I wholeheartedly concur. The champ from last gen isnt down for the count, and is going to put up a hell of a fight this gen, too.

The thing I am getting tired of saying over and over, though, is that this is good for ALL of us gamers, and I cannot understand how fanboys on either side of the fence cannot see this.
You make it hard to disagree.
The whole console war is great for ten year old and young grown up but at a point one has to understand that the true value lies in the games. As players we should really just want good games no matter what platform it is on.

And well what draws me in is GTA V Next Gen. Yup I know that it will not be 20x better or bigger but it is little details that can be polished up. I hope it really is worth buying.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Shamanic Rhythm said:
So, I guess this means now we'll just have to call it the Xbox Three to One.
This is quite possibly my favourite post all year.

<3

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
gamegod25 said:
"only shipped 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers"

And as we all know shipped is not the same as sold. Always bothers me when they disclose shipped numbers but not sales numbers, because it just gives the impression that sales are not good and are trying to spin it to sound better.

Honestly I do hope that the Xbone flops hard and this news does make me smile.
Shipped means that retailers have ordered them. Shipped essentially means sold, just not to consumers. The numbers still count because eventually the items will be all bought from retail shelves. Manufacturers get their money from the retailers ordering the consoles.

So shipped pretty much means sold.

OP:I think those numbers will get a bit higher for the PS4 after Tokyo Game Show seeing as how most of the titles that big Western publishers have been pushed back to next year. So right now its really Sony's game.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
fix-the-spade said:
Tanis said:
Here's my question:
WHY?

There's nothing exclusive on the system that could warrants this kind of massive buying to me.
Same goes for the Xbone.
It's not just exclusives that sell games though, multi plats shift units and they all look best on the PS4.

Battlefield? Looks better and runs faster on PS4.
Call of Duty? Better on PS4.
Fifa, UFC, even freaking LEGO games? Yup, all noticeably smoother and sharper on the PS4.

If people are buying these things for Call of Duty or Fifa (which they surely are) they're going to want the best version of it, that's the PS4 one. My local GAME has the PS4 and Xbone demo units sat next to each other on identical screens (big 40in Panasonic things), it doesn't do the Xbone any favours to be sat running the same game next to a PS4 like that, people really do notice the difference.
With Battlefield, FIFA, Call of Duty and many annual multiplayer based games, they'll go with whatever their friends are going for. And playing Call of Duty on a non-Xbox console is just shooting yourself in the foot and losing out on any new content for a certain amount of time. Call of Duty relied on a game release then DLC release life cycle, and Xbox is ideal for that because of Microsoft and Activision's deal.

I very much doubt that people will look up which runs smoother, they'll go by the logic of "well I had a 360/PS3, guess I'll go play this on the Xbox One/PS4".

OT: Shipped is a key word there, though I do find it funny how people are saying something is failing when it's still selling hundreds of thousands of its products to customers. I think people need to learn that less successful does not equal failure. I also question why. Even leaving aside the annual games which would have lost steam this late into the year, there's so little out on the Xbox One and PS4 right now.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
Saltyk said:
Well, let's look at the North American sales numbers. PS4 has sold a total of 4.1 million units in North America, according to VGChartz. Xbox One has sold 3.41 million units. Now, this may sound like it proves your point, but looking at how the PS3 and 360 sold historically, that would undermine the argument. PS3 sold 28.57 million units in North America compared to 360's 47.27 million units. Once you look at the European numbers, it's a much more stark 3.1 compared to 1.21 million units, which is in line with the sales of PS3 and 360 (32.98 Million versus 25.23 million).
Sorry if I cut out anything important. But this little rant of mine relies on VGC.

Wii U 6.71 (Global) - 1.84 (Japan) = 4.87 (2nd year so far)
Xbox One 4.96 (Global) - 0.00 (Japan) = 4.96 (1st year so far)

I don't mean that as some weird declaration that Japan doesn't count. But usually on VGC Japan has shown a majorly different taste in games than North America or Europe.

That being stated I plan on eventually getting Xbox One & PS4 when Steam Machine forces me to get a 1080P TV. (How else am I going to play my free PS4 & Xbox One Games?) And I plan on getting a Wii U IF they do a U-Turn & drop the touch screen controls.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
RatGouf said:
Saltyk said:
Well, let's look at the North American sales numbers. PS4 has sold a total of 4.1 million units in North America, according to VGChartz. Xbox One has sold 3.41 million units. Now, this may sound like it proves your point, but looking at how the PS3 and 360 sold historically, that would undermine the argument. PS3 sold 28.57 million units in North America compared to 360's 47.27 million units. Once you look at the European numbers, it's a much more stark 3.1 compared to 1.21 million units, which is in line with the sales of PS3 and 360 (32.98 Million versus 25.23 million).
Sorry if I cut out anything important. But this little rant of mine relies on VGC.

Wii U 6.71 (Global) - 1.84 (Japan) = 4.87 (2nd year so far)
Xbox One 4.96 (Global) - 0.00 (Japan) = 4.96 (1st year so far)

I don't mean that as some weird declaration that Japan doesn't count. But usually on VGC Japan has shown a majorly different taste in games than North America or Europe.

That being stated I plan on eventually getting Xbox One & PS4 when Steam Machine forces me to get a 1080P TV. (How else am I going to play my free PS4 & Xbox One Games?) And I plan on getting a Wii U IF they do a U-Turn & drop the touch screen controls.
You subtracted out Japanese console sales. How is that not a weird declaration that Japan doesn't count?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
shintakie10 said:
You subtracted out Japanese console sales. How is that not a weird declaration that Japan doesn't count?
I'm pretty certain I already stated why.
RatGouf said:
But usually on VGC Japan has shown a majorly different taste in games than North America or Europe.

JayRPG

Oct 25, 2012
We know that the Xbone (was) more expensive, we know that it's less powerful, we know it was marketed as anything but a dedicated gaming machine and we know all the troubles surrounding it, yet, that isn't even the thing that makes me want to not buy one (well they contribute at least).

My main gripe is the sheer size of the Xbox One compared to the PS4, and not only the physical size of the console, but the fact that it still needs an external power brick.

How did Sony manage to fit more powerful hardware AND an internal power supply into a box almost half as small as the Xbox One?

I can't help but think that Microsoft released a big, ugly hulk of a box just so they could announce a slim model sometime next year.