Report: PS4 Outselling Xbox One 3-to-1

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Report: PS4 Outselling Xbox One 3-to-1

Sony's latest financials have revealed that it sold 3.5 million PlayStation consoles last quarter compared to 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox Ones.

It took me less than five minutes to get to my local Best Buy after I received the text alert informing me it had PS4's in stock. Even so, by the time I got there was already a line out the door, filled with gamers of all shapes, ages and gender excitedly talking about Sony's new console. Joining them in line I soon found myself standing with an even longer tail of people falling in behind me until finally store associates had to start informing people thatthere wouldn't be enough for everyone.

Granted, this sort of spectacle is nothing new. Waiting in long lines to get a shiny new console is almost a gaming ritual at this point. That said, recent reports would seem to indicate that the PlayStation 4's success has extended well past the excitement of early adopters scrambling to get their hands on the latest machine. According to Sony's latest financials, the company saw a 95.7 percent year over year increase in its gaming based revenues, adding up to 2.5 billion dollars in sales. A note in this report pinned this growth directly on the success of the PS4 and its attached services.

Perhaps more notable than these percentages however are the actual sales numbers revealed by the report. During this past quarter Sony has apparently sold 3.5 million consoles (PS3 and PS4 combined) to customers. This, of course, is substantially more than Microsoft's Xbox line which, according to its own figures, only shipped <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-22-1-1-million-xbox-consoles-shipped-last-quarter>1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers during the same time period. It's worth mentioning that this doesn't necessarily mean that the Xbox One is doing badly. That said, it definitely seems like the PlayStation brand has recaptured the stride it arguably fumbled during the last generation. We'll be interested to see, of course, how long it can hold on to it.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-31-games-revenue-up-96-percent-for-sony-year-on-year>GamesIndustry International

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
Superior hardware, lower launch price, a far more attractive design, and less chance of dystopian surveillance?

Shocking!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I know I shouldn't care about the petty squables of concole sales...

....but this pleases me...

Ylla

Jul 14, 2014
Vault101 said:

2 billion dollars of revenue. SOOO PITTYYYYYYY

Anyway, PS4 > XboxOne, people will say "no big deal", but in a world full of COD, Bieber, Transformers, Twilight, Naruto, etc. This is actually surprising; something superior in almost every aspect is actually selling more, go figure.

gamegod25

Jul 10, 2008
"only shipped 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers"

And as we all know shipped is not the same as sold. Always bothers me when they disclose shipped numbers but not sales numbers, because it just gives the impression that sales are not good and are trying to spin it to sound better.

Honestly I do hope that the Xbone flops hard and this news does make me smile.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Looks like the mass market wanted a dedicated video game console more than a 500 dollar TV box after all.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
I was hearing from every place I went to that they were selling 3-4 PS4's for each XBO, some even having trouble moving XBO stock at all so hearing this is the rule pleases me greatly. Who says the market is at the mercy of the corporations has been proven wrong here.

Xannieros

Jul 29, 2008
Even though I don't care much for consoles, I hoped PS4 would come out on top, or at least teach Microsoft a lesson. You know with E3, lying, telling gamers what they want, and imposing DRM. I am ok with this news.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
gamegod25 said:
"only shipped 1.1 million Xbox 360s and Xbox One's to retailers"

And as we all know shipped is not the same as sold. Always bothers me when they disclose shipped numbers but not sales numbers, because it just gives the impression that sales are not good and are trying to spin it to sound better.

Honestly I do hope that the Xbone flops hard and this news does make me smile.
I didn't even notice at the time.

So its entirely possible that the PS4 outsold the Xbox One by even more than 3 to 1. Thats crazy.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
"The best games of the year live on Xbox One." - Microsoft ad

And yet, it seems that most gamers seem to disagree.

Funny how better hardware, a cheaper launch price, a more robust (and reliable) controller, larger game selection, and a core dedication to making a gaming machine somehow appeals more to gamers than an overpriced, half-assed cable box.

But then again, gamers are stupid. How could anyone pass up buying a console with a camera that watches you 24/7 as you play Peggle 2?!

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Good for Sony, but it will be a long time before I get the system, since it has no games that I want. While I will never have a desire to get any Xbox system, hopefully they learn from their lessons and try to do better. While Xbox isn't doing well at the moment, I see in the future they can still sell a decent number of consoles. The main thing is that both systems need more variety of games to show what they have to offer.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
It's obvious that Sony is winning here, but what I want to know is how did the Wii-U do in comparison to the Xbox One last quarter?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Wait. Sony sold 3.5 million consoles to customers. Microsoft shipped 1.1 million consoles to retailers. Guys, I would say that the actual number is greater than 3-1. Microsoft probably sold less than 1.1 million consoles to customers.

That being said, 3.5 million also takes into account PS3's which I doubt are selling poorly. Looking at VGChartz hardware sales figures for the week July 19 and extrapolating, PS3's may make up about a third of those sells. Not too shabby, and only slightly less than the Xbox One.

Another interesting bit of data, the Vita sold even better than the PS3, largely due to Japan, which does make me wonder is Vita and PSP sales are included in those figures. The 3DS is the top selling piece of hardware during the week, but if you take away Japanese sales, it would be a strong second.

According to VGChartz sales for the week of July 19, 2014.
3DS (1) sold 120,579 units worldwide
PS4 (2) sold 117,447 units worldwide
WiiU (3) sold 59,173 units worldwide
Xbox One (4) sold 57,744 units worldwide
Vita (5) sold 44,969 units worldwide
PS3 (6) sold 44,781 units worldwide

Also, noteworthy, PS4 is the top selling console in North America selling 50,748 units (almost equaling total Xbox One sales). PS4 also boosts the highest units sold in Europe as well with 47,824 units sold. The 3DS are weak in North America, almost half the PS4 sales, but boasts the strongest sales in Japan with 39,093 units sold. Xbox One -unsurprisingly- is doing fairly well in North America with 38,125 units sold, but fares much poorer in Europe and has no Japanese sales data.

All in all, PS4 has dominated North America and Europe according to this data. Mind you that is only for one week, but taken with this article it indicates how things are trending.

VGChartz platform totals puts PS4 at 8.74 million units worldwide, Wii U at 6.71 million units worldwide, and Xbox One at 4.96 million units worldwide. It would seem that the competition may have helped the Wii U improve it's sales, honestly.

Going deeper into the site's data, PS4 has held a steady sales of 500,000 units a month. Xbox One was fairly sporadic, but seems to average about 250,000 units a month, though it had a huge surge of 460,000 units in March, most likely fueled by Titanfall. PS3 has been declining is sales this year, but seems to have averaged about 250,000 units each month on the whole. The 360 seems to be suffering the same declining sales (shocking, I know) but seems to average about 200,000 units itself. The Wii U had a strong showing in June with about 350,000 units sold (E3, perhaps?), but seems to be averaging about 180,000 units otherwise.

Man, I really mined that site for data and made this post way bigger than I intended...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I probably won't buy either (Might get a PS4 if it gets games I want), but I'm kind of glad. Microsoft went all in on stupid things and now they will have to pay for those choices.

Vault101 said:

The consoles will have their revenge by ruining (franchise you love).

gamegod25 said:
Almost all the figures we get are units shipped, not the sell through. This is true for consoles, games, whatever. Because once that happens, they're paid for and Microsoft/Sony/EA/(company you love) has their money. The obvious exception is Digital Distribution figures, but that's not only not on point it's kind of impossible for a console itself.

Edit: Forget I said that. I missed that the report actually said "sold through" for the PS units. Usually, the figures for both are "sold," which literally just means that they shipped to retailers.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
I'm sure it'll all work itself out for Microsoft...though with their dropping of stuff like the original shows and all that I wonder how they are going to try to convince people on the Xbone.

Saltyk said:
Another interesting bit of data, the Vita sold even better than the PS3, largely due to Japan, which does make me wonder is Vita and PSP sales are included in those figures. The 3DS is the top selling piece of hardware during the week, but if you take away Japanese sales, it would be a strong second.
According to forbes Vita, PSP and Vita TV are counted separately and stand at 750,000 (which is up by 150,000).

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
Eh, I got a bit of a first hand experience with that sort of thing.
The store I'm currently working at is closing. Sunday began our liquidation, and the consoles were 10% off. We had three PS4 and two XBOnes in stock, and I was expecting them to go fast.
The PS4s didn't make it past the first day, being sold off by around 4 PM, while the XBOnes didn't get sold off until the next day.

I like to think of that as a bit of proof as to the PS4's obvious success...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I will go on record as saying that the PS3 and Xbox 360 were pretty even gaming machines in terms of quality. Both had their positives and negatives, and it largely came down to personal preference and exclusive titles as to which you would prefer.

No such moral dilemma this time around, though. The Xbone is getting crushed, in basically every sense of the word, and Microsoft is making themselves very easy to root against in this one.

I don't own a PS4 yet, but I will almost certainly be getting one at some point down the line. I don't think there's anything that Microsoft could do at this point to tempt me to pick up their box of failure and lies.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
You'd think I'd like Microsoft, considering I use their software all the time... Nope. Not a single shot in all the universe I could say that with a straight face.

This is what happens when you offer inferior hardware for a higher price. There's no reason to buy a Xbone. Hell, most of it's exclusives will still be coming out on PC as well.