Report: Sony Rejected Download-Only PlayStation 4

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
Report: Sony Rejected Download-Only PlayStation 4

[img_inline src="http://cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/49/49301.jpg"]
Cloud-based consoles may still be years away.

There have been many rumors floating around about the next generation of game consoles, however, one prediction may finally be laid to rest. Sony has alledgedly rejected the idea of making its next console download-only, and deciding to keep with a more traditional optical disc-drive.

An unnamed source told the Wall Street Journal that Sony has decided against a download-only model due to the inconsistency of internet connections from country to country. As many gamers can attest, games can take up an extraordinarily large amount of hard drive space, and Sony feels that its customers who reside in countries with slower internet connections would be crippled by a requirement to download its games rather than just insert a disc.

The unnamed source said that Microsoft is looking to include an optical drive in its next console as well, having expressed similar concerns about internet connectivity in designing the successor to the Xbox 360.

Source: Los Angeles Times [http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-activision-call-of-duty-trial-delayed-until-june-1-20120524,0,6101970.story]

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
I'm happy for these news. I still prefer my games to be physical.

Apr 28, 2008
Makes sense. An all-digital console just isn't feasible [http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-all-digital-console-is-a-myth-despite-steam-box-and-discless-xbox-rumor] right now. And won't be for the foreseeable future.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Well that's good.

As much as I think downloading games is pretty cool, I still much prefer my games to be physical.

I don't expect all games to be digital only until, like, 10 years from now at the very least.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I have no protest against this.

However. Im sure it is totally because of unreliable internet connections and has absolutely nothing to do with proping up the validity of blu ray for one of the leading manufacturers of Blu ray devices, and a company that has vested interest in proliferation of the medium.

Xannidel

Feb 16, 2011
I still wonder how good/bad it would be if Microsoft and Sony made a combined console.
OT: I am happy to know that physical copies of games are still going to be used, I just do not think we are ready for digital only games. I don't know about digital movies however, has anyone had any issues with downloading movies?

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
Anyone who panicked over the "rumor" that any next-gen console was going to be download only is really just a chicken little looking for something to cry about.

Still good that Sony officially put this crap to rest though.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Well played sony, indeed the technology to support download only gaming is still in its infancy. It will be many decades before internet providers are able to develop Internet connections so strong that we get pop-ups in our dreams.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Well that's good.

As much as I think downloading games is pretty cool, I still much prefer my games to be physical.

I don't expect all games to be digital only until, like, 10 years from now at the very least.
Irridium said:
Makes sense. An all-digital console just isn't feasible [http://www.penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/the-all-digital-console-is-a-myth-despite-steam-box-and-discless-xbox-rumor] right now. And won't be for the foreseeable future.

Speaking as someone who hasn't bought a game physically for at least 6 years, that article is pure nonsense. If inter connections are so bad, why is steam the biggest PC game retailer. Do PC's have miraculous abilities to improve internet connections or do internet connections remain the same regardless of platform? The reason why, possibly, the next of consoles will have optical drives is cost pure and simple. The cost of increasing bandwidth and higher sever support cost versus the download only higher margins. If the report is true, then they have run the numbers say its not going to make them enough money to be worth the cost of bigger server infrastructure and bandwidth. The money spent on the capital costs would have to show more than about 4% return on investment to be worth while.

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
albino boo said:
Speaking as someone who hasn't bought a game physically for at least 6 years, that article is pure nonsense. If inter connections are so bad, why is steam the biggest PC game retailer. Do PC's have miraculous abilities to improve internet connections or do internet connections remain the same regardless of platform? The reason why, possibly, the next of consoles will have optical drives is cost pure and simple. The cost of increasing bandwidth and higher sever support cost versus the download only higher margins. If the report is true, then they have run the numbers say its not going to make them enough money to be worth the cost of bigger server infrastructure and bandwidth. The money spent on the capital costs would have to show more than about 4% return on investment to be worth while.
PC games work well as a download only because there hasn't been much value in the physical media in quite some time. Console games on the other hand have a ton of value in physical media. Mainly that lovely 2nd hand market, rentals and just the ease of loaning a friend a game.

Agreed though that using the interweb as an excuse is pure BS. Sony's experiment with the PSPGo was the more likely culprit.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
monkeymo4d said:
It will be many decades before internet providers are able to develop Internet connections so strong that we get pop-ups in our dreams.
Honestly, I think it will be far longer than that maybe our great grand children?. The service the ISPs provides is an ever growing demand, like food, water and electricity. On top of that, we don't have the technology to deal with the large data load efficiently and even if we did it would take years to rewire a country because of the expense.
If you're going to give a user "unlimited" download and upload they are going to exploit it at all hours of the day.

OT:Oh, because not everyone has access to the internet? It would seem like Steam doesn't care. Hell, Gaikai and Onlive seem pretty confident. I take it than you don't like the idea of server fees that you'll either have to absorb or force a reasonable fee on users.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
Kroxile said:
Anyone who panicked over the "rumor" that any next-gen console was going to be download only is really just a chicken little looking for something to cry about.

I'm not really sure what a 'chicken little' is but I broadly agree with this. Did anyone seriously think the next gen was going to be download only? The cost of putting an optical drive in a console is virtually insignificant especially compared to the cost of the HDDs you'd need.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
number2301 said:
Kroxile said:

I'm not really sure what a 'chicken little' is but I broadly agree with this. Did anyone seriously think the next gen was going to be download only? The cost of putting an optical drive in a console is virtually insignificant especially compared to the cost of the HDDs you'd need.
Chicken Little is the kid's story of the baby chicken that ran around screaming "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Come to think of it.. I can't remember why... but yeah, lol

Spoonius

Jul 18, 2009
I'd like to see hybrid systems come into play. Physical and digital media capabilities don't need to be mutually exclusive...

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Good boy Sony, the current method of having choice is still a good one for me. I prefer solid retail copies of my games anyway.

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Good. The infrastructure just isn't there yet for this to be feasible except in a small handful of countries.

albino boo said:
Maybe because the people who are more inclined to use Steam already have good internet connections and use it for that reason? Just a thought.

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I guess they learnt from the latest psp. We still need pysical games

drkchmst

Mar 28, 2010
We do need bigger new storage options for sure with download only. 250 GB isn't going to last me an entire cycle (I'm looking at you xbox). Also they need to be reasonably priced ($100 32 GB PS Vita memory card). Of course it also needs to be reliable. The PS3 was on the right track using a standard 2.5" HDD. Just need to go bigger I think.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Kroxile said:
number2301 said:
Kroxile said:

Chicken Little is the kid's story of the baby chicken that ran around screaming "The sky is falling, the sky is falling!"

Come to think of it.. I can't remember why... but yeah, lol
From memory an acorn (or fruit/nut of your choice) hit him on the head. Rather than investigating he jumps to an outlandish conclusion.

Anyway...I see no mention of the new consoles not requiring or enabling online game registration, you don't need a stable connection for that...I thought that was what all the cheapskates console gamers were worried about.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm not surprised they didn't jump onto digital. I can't imagine their net infrastructure could handle the amount of data being pushed and pulled for games. And I doubt they would want to go into it without having a system similar to battle.net in place before they tried.