Report: Sony Will Release The Interview on Crackle For Free - Update

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
DJ_DEnM said:
deth2munkies said:
Mashable and some other site are running the story that this is either fake or premature.
http://mashable.com/2014/12/21/sony-lawyer-the-interview/

No confirmation from Sony.
This comment should be getting so much traction. You countered OP with a completely valid and legit article and he's not taking it into account. Either he hasn't noticed or the Escapist's clickbait game has gone up.
90% of internet news (especially here) is just reposting what others have said with various degrees of attribution. To be perfectly honest, I kept coming to this site for a while simply as a news aggregator, but now it looks like The Escapist is just copying random tweets out of my Twitter feed and writing up full articles with varying degrees of effort.

On this story, though, I can't find the other source I saw on Twitter and Mashable is just quoting "an anonymous source close to the project" which may or may not exist, but the fact remains that no story, including the 2 cited by the author of this article include any official statement by a Sony representative. It's all speculation, but this article doesn't make that clear.

Rawbeard

Jan 28, 2010
If only Sony had a network, maybe connecting to home devices of millions of people world wide. That would be insane, right?

small

Aug 5, 2014
Revolutionary said:
Can we get it on some other streaming services? Crackles not the greatest in my experience.
from an interview with the Sony CEO yesterday NO major streaming service would run the film, i gather is might be because of the risk of hackers taking out the service

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Remus said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
So thats what crackle is. Is it only available on sony devices?
Nah you can use it on any device with internet as far as I know. Don't even need an account - just click on the movie and play. Unfortunately most movies only play up to 480p. If you're a videophile it will either be a major annoyance or a dealbreaker. If you've watched TV pre-HD, 480p isn't the worst you've probably seen.
I remmeber watching TV on a black and white 13" bent glass CRTs....

That being said, bitrate is far more important than resolution. at least till it actually gets high enough that it wont do much difference at low resolution. so what if netflix streams in 1080p if its bitrate is worse than my 480p videos.

Remus

Reprogrammed Spambot
Nov 24, 2012
Strazdas said:
Remus said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Nah you can use it on any device with internet as far as I know. Don't even need an account - just click on the movie and play. Unfortunately most movies only play up to 480p. If you're a videophile it will either be a major annoyance or a dealbreaker. If you've watched TV pre-HD, 480p isn't the worst you've probably seen.
I remmeber watching TV on a black and white 13" bent glass CRTs....

That being said, bitrate is far more important than resolution. at least till it actually gets high enough that it wont do much difference at low resolution. so what if netflix streams in 1080p if its bitrate is worse than my 480p videos.
So true. This is what I can't stand about so many movies on Dish, or any satellite network - the compression they use at times, namely for movies that have been running a couple months, kills the bitrate and color clarity goes right out the window. It's especially bad with horror movies - any scene in the dark turns into a gray, layered muddled mess.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
I'm sure I'm behind the times here, but can anyone name any other films about the attempted assassination of a real head of state who was still in office at the time the film was made? The closest I can come up with is Day of the Jackel, but Charles de Gaulle was no longer in office when they started making the film.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
They're releasing it for free? Finally. reasonable pricing for a Seth Rogen movie o_O

Joking aside. I can't believe they managed to stir up this much noise over a movie that except for that one thing seems completely mundane, forgettable and lame. Speaking subjectively of course, I'm obviously not the biggest fan of Seth Rogen ^^

Maze1125

Oct 14, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Update: Re/code [http://recode.net/2014/12/21/sony-hasnt-decided-where-to-stream-the-interview-meaning-not-on-crackle-for-now/] has gotten word from Sony, disputing the New York Post report. "Sony is still exploring options for distribution," said Sony spokeswoman Lauren Condoluci of Rubenstein Communications, adding that the New York Post story is "false".
Translation: We're not releasing it for fucking free! Are you crazy?!?

samahain

Sep 23, 2010
The important thing is that people get to see the movie. If Crackle shows it for free, it's still better than not releasing it at all.
Freedom wins!!

...that or an EMP on North Korea.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Remus said:
Xsjadoblayde said:
Ah thanks. That is a slight relief, even in light of the latest update :)

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I just watched it. It was okay. Definitely not worth all of the controversy and the terrorism threats.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Is The New York Post capable at all of reporting anything that isn't a false rumor anymore? This is like fifth false rumor in a week for those idiots.