Report: StarCraft Remastered is Coming in May

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Report: StarCraft Remastered is Coming in May

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/394/394164.jpg
A Korean eSports website is claiming that Blizzard is prepping a remaster of the original StarCraft.

StarCraft fans who may feel like they've been neglected lately, or Blizzard fans who never got around to playing the original game, you may be in for some good news. A Korean eSports website, Sports Seoul [http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/491334] is claiming that according to industry sources, Blizzard is aiming to release an updated version of the original StarCraft around May-June of this year.

The remake would be entitled StarCraft: Remastered, and would be a graphical update of the original game plus the Brood War expansion. And most important to eSports fans, the gameplay would remain completely untouched, giving fans who prefer the gameplay of the original game an updated option.

According to the website, Blizzard secretly revealed information about the game to industry insiders at BlizzCon 2016, focusing on esports broadcasters and sponsors. The game will reportedly be revealed in Korea as early as next week.

Back in iNews24 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168109-StarCraft-HD-Remaster-Reportedly-in-Development].

We've reached out to Blizzard for comment, but don't expect them to confirm or deny it.

Source: Team Liquid [http://www.sportsseoul.com/news/read/491334])

Zydrate

Apr 1, 2009
Christ. Another one? You could 'remaster' it in Starcraft 2 and not get that many complaints for it.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Zydrate said:
Christ. Another one? You could 'remaster' it in Starcraft 2 and not get that many complaints for it.
I think the point is that they're not using the SC2 engine. They say 'No gameplay changes', so luxuries like selecting more than 16(?) units at a time won't be present, along with all the pathing, collision detection and other quality-of-life upgrades that are likely deeply entrenched in the SC2 engine.

Or such is just my understanding, anyway.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
KenAri said:
Zydrate said:
I think the point is that they're not using the SC2 engine. They say 'No gameplay changes', so luxuries like selecting more than 16(?) units at a time won't be present, along with all the pathing, collision detection and other quality-of-life upgrades that are likely deeply entrenched in the SC2 engine.

Or such is just my understanding, anyway.
Ahhh yes, that classic Original SC pathing...that was my favorite thing about the first two games. :^)

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
You know... I didn't care for the direction they took the story in SCII, so now I'm worried they'll pull a George Lucas and start tampering with SCI's story, while claiming that "no, this is how the story was always meant to be told" or whatever bulls*** excuse Blizzard has for ruining a perfectly good story this week.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
Depending on how they upgrade the graphics that would affect gameplay. Increasing the viewing area for example, would adjust how the game is played. The original was a perfect storm. I'd be happy keeping it as is and just letting it be played more easily on the new bnet.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Im still annoyed that they won't remaster the early Warcraft titles, especially since I already got a copy of Starcraft from a friend that still works perfectly fine on my Windows 10 laptop.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
...and here I am waiting for the remastering of Dune and C&C.

:|

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Um...yay?

I mean, I played and enjoyed SC1, but if all you're doing is a graphical update for a game that you can still buy off the store shelf, and said game still having b.net support...I mean, neat, I guess?

I dunno, the only thing that I think SC1 does better than SC2 is some of its music tracks, and you can set them to play in SC2 multiplayer anyway. But, hey, if it gets more people to play SC1, the better.

Now about some WC1/2/D1 re-releases...

loa

Jan 28, 2012
They should add the ability to select your 100 zerglings and for your high templars to just cast 1 storm rather than 12 if you got 12 high templars selected tho.
I just hope they don't butcher the original sound design with that weaksauce that happened in starcraft 2 and that they don't turn all of the zerg designs into retarded orcs.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
loa said:
They should add the ability to select your 100 zerglings and for your high templars to just cast 1 storm rather than 12 if you got 12 high templars selected tho.
I just hope they don't butcher the original sound design with that weaksauce that happened in starcraft 2 and that they don't turn all of the zerg designs into retarded orcs.
I don't know what you mean by turning zerg designs into retarded orcs. Also the soundtrack is anything but weaksauce, Starcraft 2 is just as good as the original's; of course it's all opinions.

As for the news, yay. I myself would prefer it to be incorporated into Starcraft 2. I would pay full price the original and brood war in Starcraft 2's engine; give it a separate multiplayer with all six campaigns all accessable from Starcraft 2's launcher. I wouldn't mind if they re-recorded the dialog with the new VA cast just to blend it all nicely.

It would also be awesome to get Gerard DuGalle (UED Fleet Commander), Tassadar (High Templar/Carrier Commander) and OVermind (classic Zerg Commander) Commanders for Co-op.

Steven Bogos said:
fans who may feel like they've been neglected lately, or Blizzard fans who never got around to playing the original game, you may be in for some good news.
We haven't been neglected at all. We've had a Campaign DLC, Three Co-op Commanders (and two/three maps) and a bunch of reworked maps for vanilla multiplayer.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
karloss01 said:
I don't know what you mean by turning zerg designs into retarded orcs. Also the soundtrack is anything but weaksauce, Starcraft 2 is just as good as the original's; of course it's all opinions.
The zerg have that unifying underbite "mandible" thing in sc2 which they simply didn't have on that prominent level in sc1 and one click on a hydralisk or making a zergling in sc1 should give you a clue as to which of the 2 is more iconic.
The zerg used to be weird and eccentric with every unit having a distinct personality to it which was homogenized in 2.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
karloss01 said:
Also the soundtrack is anything but weaksauce, Starcraft 2 is just as good as the original's; of course it's all opinions.
For me, SC1's soundtrack is better than SC2's, at least as far as 'mission music' goes (e.g. the zerg/terran/protoss de facto themes). However, SC2 has overall better individual tracks, usually for cinematics.

There's also a shift between the two games. SC1 has a more 'gritty' soundtrack, and this is especially true for the terrans in SC1, whereas in SC2, the terran themes are more country/western. SC2 also has a more orchestral soundtrack I've found - likely partly due to improvements in technology/budget, likely partly due to the grander nature of its storyline.

loa said:
The zerg have that unifying underbite "mandible" thing in sc2 which they simply didn't have on that prominent level in sc1 and one click on a hydralisk or making a zergling in sc1 should give you a clue as to which of the 2 is more iconic.
The zerg used to be weird and eccentric with every unit having a distinct personality to it which was homogenized in 2.
The two tracks only really serve to show how clearer the sound is in SC2.

I can probably remember more SC1 unit sounds than SC2 ones, but SC1 has a 12 year head start on SC2 to make an impression. Plus, if anything, SC2 is less hemogenized, not only for unit variety, but as the clip shows, it's a graphical step-up as well. Also not sure how the zerg could have 'personality' per se - if anything, they gained it in SC2.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Dr. McD said:
The individual Zerg unit designs were more distinct, including the portraits.
No, not really. SC1 had to work with sprites, SC2 has the benefit of 3D models, and that includes more dynamic portraits. The models in SC1 were distinct, but SC2 makes them more so.

Dr. McD said:
Not only that but while in SC1 the zerg didn't have much personality but they had a hell of a lot more of it in the Brood War expansion, especially compared to SC2.
Wait, what?

Are we talking about the zerg, or zerg characters? Because if the former, I don't think the devourer or lurker have any more 'personality' than any other zerg unit, which are all bereft of personality anyway bar the infested terran. If talking about characters, Brood War has one actual zerg character (Kerrigan, and Duran doesn't count), SC1 has four. Kerrigan has the most personality of any zerg character, but when you're the only zerg character, BW can't be said to have more 'zerg personality' than SC1.