Report: Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Studio Shuts Down

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Report: Walking Dead: Survival Instinct Studio Shuts Down

The site's dark, its Facebook is quiet, and former TRI man Jesse Sosa fears the worst.

"For those that have known me for a long time know that I was at TRI for 10 years," says Dinosaur Games' Jesse Sosa. "TRI seems to have finally shut down." The studio behind The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct, BloodRayne and Ghostbusters: The Video Game, among other titles, has gone dark.

It still has a Facebook [http://terminalreality.com/], but the page is a placeholder and its Facebook has been quiet since October. The October entry says it's looking for testers for its new game in its new digs. Nobody seems to know where it is now, or how many staff it had when it went dark.

Terminal Reality has been in business since 1994. Its most recent Walking Dead tie-in had didn't survive accusations of being a cheap cash grab [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/7074-The-Walking-Dead-Survival-Instinct].

"I hope they all land on their feet," says Sousa. "Most of those guys are still like family to me. I know a good amount are on their way to Austin, so at least I'll be seeing them soon."

Source: Jesse Sousa [https://www.facebook.com/jesse.sosa.96/posts/10153582367140504]

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I feel sorry for them for all they'd worked on and not much being received well in return.

I still preferred Survival Instinct compared to TWD by TT games but most here will call that "bad taste" no doubt based on popular opinions.

Still I hope something good comes to them in time, whether it be a job at a new studio or a breakthrough for a new game of theirs.

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
I hated TWD by TT. It just felt like an interactive story book. I mean for example i go into a room, look around to make sure no zombies around. Its a small room and there is nothing around, then by magic 2 zombies show up for drama effect but either way i was left WTF !? and then died coz they had the xbox controller pop up for quik time event and being on pc i got throw off AAAHHHHH. It is a shame but it did look pretty bad, perhaps if they had more time to make SI.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Wait, they're the ones who made BloodRayne and Ghostbusters? I enjoyed the former (the first one anyway), and I'd heard that the latter had done pretty well. Or maybe not, I dunno.

But yeah, Survival Instinct just looked plain terrible. The worst part is that it was overhyped for some stupid reason. Oh wait, money.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
llagrok said:
Good riddance I say.

They made bad games, and they deserve this.
I hope that karma does come around sometime and you lose your job for something outside of your control and someone tells you that you deserved it.

These were hard working people who actually had some good ideas for their game. It was a rushed to be pushed out by Activision and you can tell by the horrible short production cycle.

There is nothing wrong with bashing a studio for making a product you didn't like but it takes a real low life to say they deserved to lose their job.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I feel sorry for them for all they'd worked on and not much being received well in return.

I still preferred Survival Instinct compared to TWD by TT games but most here will call that "bad taste" no doubt based on popular opinions.

Still I hope something good comes to them in time, whether it be a job at a new studio or a breakthrough for a new game of theirs.
it has nothing to do with popular opinion, it has to do with one being a good game and the other not.

although, I would say that there was probably some talent in the team, but they just couldn't put together a decent product.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
martyrdrebel27 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

it has nothing to do with popular opinion, it has to do with one being a good game and the other not.
Are we purely basing this on reviews here?, as if reviews were some form of ultimate "you're wrong I'm right" scenario because last time I checked people can still love a a game that a lot of others can see as bad.

I mean while we're also at it look at Africa their water is clearly shit disgusting bad compared to our nice clean water.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
After putting that broken, buggy and just plain generic game against TWD by Telltale I am not surprised that this happened

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
How unfortunate! I actually enjoyed the Ghostbusters game tremendously, it was a fun and challenging action game with varied levels and tight controls.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Shadow-Phoenix said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:

Are we purely basing this on reviews here?, as if reviews were some form of ultimate "you're wrong I'm right" scenario because last time I checked people can still love a a game that a lot of others can see as bad.

I mean while we're also at it look at Africa their water is clearly shit disgusting bad compared to our nice clean water.
exactly my point. you're contesting that there is some Nigerian Hipster somewhere saying, "While I see the reasons some might prefer Western Water, I find the African Water to just really have that putrid infestation I look for in a Water Beverage."

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
GAunderrated said:
llagrok said:
Good riddance I say.

I hope that karma does come around sometime and you lose your job for something outside of your control and someone tells you that you deserved it.

These were hard working people who actually had some good ideas for their game. It was a rushed to be pushed out by Activision and you can tell by the horrible short production cycle.

There is nothing wrong with bashing a studio for making a product you didn't like but it takes a real low life to say they deserved to lose their job.
the karma has already come around. people who made bad games got fired. This is good, because bad wrokers should not be working or get better. they had many years to get better.
If a doctor would operate on you and do more harm than good you would also not want him fired because "how can you fire somone who works and has ideas".

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Strazdas said:
GAunderrated said:
llagrok said:
Good riddance I say.

the karma has already come around. people who made bad games got fired. This is good, because bad wrokers should not be working or get better. they had many years to get better.
If a doctor would operate on you and do more harm than good you would also not want him fired because "how can you fire somone who works and has ideas".
Well actually no, that line of thought means "once you've done bad, that's it, game over" as in why even bother at life.

You want people that have done bad intentionally or unintentionally to learn from their mistakes, not blast them over it forever.

By the way when a doctor does more harm than good they usually either get suspended or banned from their practice, that doesn't work for every kind of job in the world.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Strazdas said:
GAunderrated said:
llagrok said:
Good riddance I say.

Well actually no, that line of thought means "once you've done bad, that's it, game over" as in why even bother at life.

You want people that have done bad intentionally or unintentionally to learn from their mistakes, not blast them over it forever.

By the way when a doctor does more harm than good they usually either get suspended or banned from their practice, that doesn't work for every kind of job in the world.
No, in fact what that line of thought means is that if you've done bad you should get punished for the bad thing. Also as i have mentioned they had plenty of chances which they didnt took (as in their games didnt get better). Also loosing your job is not game over at life. If you dont know how to do your job you should get fired, as firing is appropriate punishment for not doing your job. Thats really all it is.
As for the doctor, you said precisely what i mean - doctors that do bad get suspended. Why shouldnt other people that do bad be fired?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Strazdas said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Strazdas said:
GAunderrated said:
llagrok said:
Good riddance I say.

No, in fact what that line of thought means is that if you've done bad you should get punished for the bad thing. Also as i have mentioned they had plenty of chances which they didnt took (as in their games didnt get better). Also loosing your job is not game over at life. If you dont know how to do your job you should get fired, as firing is appropriate punishment for not doing your job. Thats really all it is.
As for the doctor, you said precisely what i mean - doctors that do bad get suspended. Why shouldnt other people that do bad be fired?
I've seen numerous punishments for doing a bad job when it comes to work such as:

Suspension.
Docking of payment both lower in wage or time taken to pay.
Moved to another area.
Fired (the most obvious of punishments).
Having your wages cover business costs if you yourself caused such damage.
Banned from your entire workplace (as in you're not allowed near where you worked).

Theres still more ways to punish people who do bad at their job but those guys were video game devs, not people in charge of life or death or multi billion dollar corporations (seriously when are those guys going to ever get fired?), they made a few "bad" games (unless like I said before you wanna compare those games to games made by other people then everything becomes an instant no brainer for everything).

If anything they should at least have a list of what went wrong with their video games and at then learn from those mistakes if they manage to get a new job somewhere in the industry but by no means do not deny them another chance to make something that could become great.

I'm also pretty sure that their games "sucking really bad" is a form of punishment itself since you don't get to enjoy success but instead suffer failure (but this is the video gaming industry where people must be nailed to the cross and whipped for making people look at such video games).

Yozozo

In a galaxy far, far away...
Mar 28, 2009
I too enjoyed the Ghostbusters: The Video Game. Closest thing to a Ghostbusters 3 we're likely to ever get, given that Ghostbusters3 has been in development hell so long :/

The atmosphere in the game was PERFECT in locations like the Library. Hell, a lot of modern "horror" games could learn from it.

Strazdas

May 28, 2011
Shadow-Phoenix said:
I've seen numerous punishments for doing a bad job when it comes to work such as:

Suspension.
Docking of payment both lower in wage or time taken to pay.
Moved to another area.
Fired (the most obvious of punishments).
Having your wages cover business costs if you yourself caused such damage.
Banned from your entire workplace (as in you're not allowed near where you worked).

Theres still more ways to punish people who do bad at their job but those guys were video game devs, not people in charge of life or death or multi billion dollar corporations (seriously when are those guys going to ever get fired?), they made a few "bad" games (unless like I said before you wanna compare those games to games made by other people then everything becomes an instant no brainer for everything).

If anything they should at least have a list of what went wrong with their video games and at then learn from those mistakes if they manage to get a new job somewhere in the industry but by no means do not deny them another chance to make something that could become great.

I'm also pretty sure that their games "sucking really bad" is a form of punishment itself since you don't get to enjoy success but instead suffer failure (but this is the video gaming industry where people must be nailed to the cross and whipped for making people look at such video games).
In the list of punishments you yourself state that firing is an option.
Yes, they are developing games, not operating on people, hence you cant sue them for malpractice for example. If They are bad at their jobs though they shouldnt be doing it still. And i agree people like Cliffy B should get fired. That sort of is a huge problem, when the top leadership becomes a revolving door job.

They had chance to analize what went wrong and become better. they released a multitude of games wherein they could have improved themselves over the time. They didnt as was evident by thier Walking Dead game. I do not say they should be denied from the industry, what i said is that they deserve to be fired for doing a bad job, which they were (fired). I never nailed them to a cross or any such nonesense.