Report: Xbox One More Popular Than PS4 on Black Friday

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
It's kind of sad to see how many people feel the need to attack other gaming platforms just because they chose a certain one.

Why is that? Do they feel it's a personal insult that someone thinks a different console is better?

Personally I chose Xbox One this generation. I had a 360 last generation so it made sense for me to stick with Xbox. In the past I've been mainly a PC gamer but I'm quickly finding that my PC isn't good enough for newer titles and that a console would be able to handle stuff better with better graphics.

People have been pointing out how one platform or another is better in some area than another platform, and I can't help but wonder: Is the difference really that big to be properly noticeable or are my standards just a bit lower?

For instance, the PS4 might have better specs than the Xbox One and can therefore run games better, but I find that my Xbox one is capable of running games perfectly.

#As for graphics difference between that and PC: Sure, a high end PC is capable of better graphics than a console, but personally I don't care as I think the graphics on the Xbox one are quite good.

Also, people must have a really hight standard for things in general relating to console since it seems like if it isn't the absolute best it can be then it is crap. Like I said, I find the graphics on the Xbox one good even though I know it's possible for better.

People need to more on enjoying the games and less on trying to nit pick stuff that ultimately isn't a problem.

Rant over.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
bjj hero said:
J Tyran said:
Olrod said:
Doesn't that just mean that nobody thinks the Xbone is worth paying full price for?
Neither of the consoles are, although I wonder what the sales statistics where in the UK. Both the Xbone and the PS4 were between as low as £300 with one or no games and £350-400 with several games and/or accessories, so the price for the two of them were close.

£300 is about right for both of them, they are not worth any more than that.
At £250 Ill jump ship. Until then my 360 will do just fine.
You won't have to wait long, they should be around that by summer. Maybe even in the January sales if you're lucky.

frobalt said:
snipped for size
Going to have to agree with you here, the Sony fanboys continually bashing Xbox players is ridiculous. The differences between the two consoles are tiny, so small that someone with a better TV can have a better experience with the Xbone than someone on a PS4 with a cheap supermarket brand TV can.

I own an Xbone and some Sony fanboys tried that resolutiongate bullshit, then I just point out if they want to argue about that I have a gaming PC with almost three times the graphical processing power of the PS4 so yeah, so what? It doesnt really matter much.

The experience with the Xbone has been quite pleasant, the image quality is very good and menus/store pages/profile etc all respond snappelly and the games are much nicer to play now and its a great improvement over the last generation. I have no reason to believe the PS4 will be any different in that respect, the differences between them are tiny and in the real world most users will barely notice if a multiplat is running at a slightly lower resolution before upscaling.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
So the one on sale is the one that sold on black Friday? This is some surprising news! :^)

But seriously even I bought one recently, not on black Friday but recently. And yes, it was the limited sale that coaxed me into it. And no, I didn't choose the xbox over the PS4 or wiiU, I already have both of them.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
frobalt said:
It's kind of sad to see how many people feel the need to attack other gaming platforms just because they chose a certain one.

Why is that? Do they feel it's a personal insult that someone thinks a different console is better?

Personally I chose Xbox One this generation. I had a 360 last generation so it made sense for me to stick with Xbox. In the past I've been mainly a PC gamer but I'm quickly finding that my PC isn't good enough for newer titles and that a console would be able to handle stuff better with better graphics.

People have been pointing out how one platform or another is better in some area than another platform, and I can't help but wonder: Is the difference really that big to be properly noticeable or are my standards just a bit lower?

For instance, the PS4 might have better specs than the Xbox One and can therefore run games better, but I find that my Xbox one is capable of running games perfectly.

#As for graphics difference between that and PC: Sure, a high end PC is capable of better graphics than a console, but personally I don't care as I think the graphics on the Xbox one are quite good.

Also, people must have a really hight standard for things in general relating to console since it seems like if it isn't the absolute best it can be then it is crap. Like I said, I find the graphics on the Xbox one good even though I know it's possible for better.

People need to more on enjoying the games and less on trying to nit pick stuff that ultimately isn't a problem.

Rant over.
Yup to all of this. Attacking people over the console they use is like attacking people over the kind of cheese they like. Just because your favourite cheese is blue, doesn't mean you need to attack the person who enjoys marble. Everyone should be free to enjoy the cheese/console they like without fear of ridicule.

OT: Wasn't it cheaper? When I was briefly trying to decide if it was the time to finally buy one of the consoles, I remember seeing the Xbone being cheaper. I actually almost bought one of them, then I realized that you're supposed to have an HDTV. I am behind the times in that department.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Maybe because the Xbox one was offered in more black friday sales?

For example there was one PS4 on amazon uk's black friday week of deals (appearing at 1 minute past midnight friday morning) where as there were 9 or ten xbox one offers over the entire week

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
NiPah said:
Atmos Duality said:
Apart from that, it looks like the two horse race to utter mediocrity just got closer. Woo hoo?
Man, people shit more on games here then main stream news channels.

I almost miss hearing the ramblings of Jack Thompson, at least he was less depressing to listen to.

Escapist man... When did it become to anti-games?
didnt you hear? people who play video games are worse than Nazi Pedophile ISIS dude

being serious the new consoles are just so, unengaging, besides the WiiU, and that one is barely engaging

frobalt

Jan 2, 2012
RedDeadFred said:
frobalt said:

Rant over.
Yup to all of this. Attacking people over the console they use is like attacking people over the kind of cheese they like. Just because your favourite cheese is blue, doesn't mean you need to attack the person who enjoys marble. Everyone should be free to enjoy the cheese/console they like without fear of ridicule.

OT: Wasn't it cheaper? When I was briefly trying to decide if it was the time to finally buy one of the consoles, I remember seeing the Xbone being cheaper. I actually almost bought one of them, then I realized that you're supposed to have an HDTV. I am behind the times in that department.
When I bought mine the other week both were about the same price, I think (Didn't do price comparison as my heart was set on an Xbone regardless).

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
Hmm. I wonder if the Xbones sold were Kinect 2.0 bundled or free of that worthless add-on.
Apart from that, it looks like the two horse race to utter mediocrity just got closer. Woo hoo?
LoL @ "worthless add-on".

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
NiPah said:
So if I lay off the snarky passive aggressive posts you'll stop being anti-games? If so I'll change my ways.
That might make sense if I were ever actually "anti-games" to begin with.
Just because I have no stomach for AAA's offerings does not make me "anti-game".

I've got a pretty healthy backlog to get through now in fact, but none of them are PS4 or Xbone-specific.

soren7550 said:
I can pretty much guarantee (again, at my store) that not a one was sold.

Shit, I don't think any were sold (with or without the system) during my entire time working at that store. I know several PS4 cameras were, but no Kinects.
Anecdotal as that is, that would make sense. Peripheral sales follow core system sales for obvious reasons, and the PS4 began with a rather commanding lead over the Xbone.

It would make sense that with such a larger installbase, the PS4 would have a larger gross number of people invested enough to buy the more enthusiast-geared peripherals like the PS4 camera; while basic Xbone hardware sales is still playing catchup.

SnesgenisthebestGen said:
What can I say? The Kinect is a total joke where gaming is concerned.

AgedGrunt

Dec 7, 2011
StewShearer said:
What's arguably interesting about these figures is the way they contrast how the consoles have sold the rest of the year.
"Arguably interesting"- Sales figures? To whom? Marketing analysts or fans that invest their satisfaction of something into how popular it is and use that to feel validated and brag over their imaginary "rivals"? This is the kind of sentence that people listen to when they are stuck in meetings and conference calls. It amazes me that gamers are this dull and/or masochistic. For many people, these reports are part of daily hell.

Popularity of a console is important up to the point you need to decide what games you want to play and what your family/friends are buying. I know there's a long history of console wars, but there is literally nothing interesting about sales statistics. Just typing that made me want to do something, anything more interesting than talk about fat businessmen stuff. If you are still young, please spend your time playing games, you have a whole future ahead of you looking at projections and sitting in board rooms wanting to go home and play games.

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
What can I say? The Kinect is a total joke where gaming is concerned.
*rolleyes* opinion and laughable.

Its integrated well into several games I own. The GPS on Forza works very well with voice commands and allows me to do it while driving, also the head tracking is a nice feature for those who race automobiles in real life and like to look further ahead than the average driver. The voice commands also allow for on the fly weapon switching faster and without switching to the wheel and away from gameplay (the weapons wheel doesn't pause) in Wolfensten New Order. Further the voice commands in DA: Inq are so numerous I'm still working on getting them all memorized but allow the battles to flow without all that needless pausing to issue orders.

Then there's the Games built around it, Aside from a little roughness in the UI, KSR got a bum rep because the games control very well. Probably just lazy reviewers who never bothered properly configuring it. D4 is a nice quirky adventure game that works very well with the Kinect and is exclusive, along side the quite well done Disney's Fantasia which works amazingly well and is a very solid music game. I downloaded the demo for "shape up" last night expecting it to be little more than a chuckle but it turned out to be something of an ass-kicker, though yes, I am old and fat. And though its not a game, the fitness app works really very well.

In addition that, as a gamer, the ancillary features it adds are awesome too. "record that" is great, auto sign in without interrupting my wife's game while she's playing is great, voice chat on the fly without a headset is great, voice command into my snapped onscreen achievement guide/ie for FAQs is great.

So yea, your blanket, likely having never used one, "joke for gaming" comment is pretty terrible.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
So yea, your blanket, likely having never used one, "joke for gaming" comment is pretty terrible.
Your presumptuous fanboy lipservice is equally terrible.
But whatever helps you sleep at night I guess.

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
Atmos Duality said:
Yea, I presumed, and frankly it's a pretty fair presumption given the ignorance of your statement. Unless you mean to go beyond what you said and actually claim that the presumption is false. Are you saying you've played those games, used those features, have any experience in what i'm talking about at all? Or simply noting that my presumption, based upon your apparent ignorance, was presumption?

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
Yea, I presumed, and frankly it's a pretty fair presumption given the ignorance of your statement. Unless you mean to go beyond what you said and actually claim that the presumption is false. Are you saying you've played those games, used those features, have any experience in what i'm talking about at all? Or simply noting that my presumption, based upon your apparent ignorance, was presumption?
Hi there. You seem to be mocking, goading, and generally being offensive in your posts. No matter how much you might think someone is 'ignorant', it doesn't make you look good to go shouting it out in violation of the board rules. Also, your post about the Kinect is totally a company line-towing. The Kinect is largely complained about and unwanted, to the point where the bluff was called on the console and Kinect being inseparable. Kinect was not largely desired, in fact hated. Your opinion might have been better if not for a massive controversy about privacy, keeping the damn thing off, and so on. Atmos is correct. The thing is laughable, a piece of equipment made to copy Nintendo's Wii-work (Man, that sounds wrong.) attached to a console that is a bad copy of Playstation's setup. (These are facts. Microsoft's console career lacks much in the ways of originality.)

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
No, you're definitely proving my point entirely. On one side is an opinion based upon past reports (Atmos') and on the other is an opinion without anything to counter the prevailing and accepted notion (that being yours). You talk about a bias while serving one up yourself and neither helping discussion, nor even being civil about it. This is not the way to go about making a point and I suspect the other has not replied because I said what was on his mind. Now, you can go ahead believing what you like, but I suggest not being so blatently rude about it. To us, you could just some random dude who could've been paid to provide MS products with publicity or someone wanting to start a console war argument which goes nowhere, proves nothing in reality, and makes no difference to the industry at large. Happens all the time.

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
FalloutJack said:
No, you're definitely proving my point entirely. On one side is an opinion based upon past reports (Atmos') and on the other is an opinion without anything to counter the prevailing and accepted notion (that being yours). You talk about a bias while serving one up yourself and neither helping discussion, nor even being civil about it. This is not the way to go about making a point and I suspect the other has not replied because I said what was on his mind. Now, you can go ahead believing what you like, but I suggest not being so blatently rude about it. To us, you could just some random dude who could've been paid to provide MS products with publicity or someone wanting to start a console war argument which goes nowhere, proves nothing in reality, and makes no difference to the industry at large. Happens all the time.
I can see I've stepped firmly into hivemind territory here. So how many posts has it been since I asked if he had any hands on experience at all, still waiting on an answer... which leads me to believe that he has none, nor do you mention any, which combined with your likening of the Kinect to the Wii motion sensing leads me to believe that you have none. Now, as you said, I can keep on believing what I want, and since my beliefs are based on actual hands on experience and enjoyment of use, you'll excuse me if I discount the opinions of those who lack such. Please feel free to continue basing all of your judgement on "past reports" and inexperience, its a good look. Oh, and make a silly ad hom attack about me potentially being a shill because I argue the merits of the kinect, because ya know, only shills would say so. (am i doing it right?)

I've been no more rude to anyone than anyone's been to me, the only difference is I didn't cry to a mod by reporting just because someone held an opposing viewpoint. I asked them what experience they were basing that viewpoint on and got reported for it... Rofl.. never change escapists.. never change.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Hey, was all this worth the necro-ing the target? I'm thinking 'No' on that account. Probably shouldn't have attacked AND played the victim. After all, you were given a poke for that. Please check yourself before going on about your favorite console features.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
See, this is what I was talking about. You're not holding a civil discussion. You're just resorting to attacks, not facts. I didn't do anything but call you out for it and point out where you were in error. The way you chose to respond to that is entirely your doing. What you are describing didn't actually happen. Since you're new here, I'll just end this with the suggestion that you read the code of conduct and follow it. Making fun of people will not prove any sort of point you're trying to argue for.

SnesgenisthebestGen

Nov 12, 2014
FalloutJack said:
See, this is what I was talking about. You're not holding a civil discussion. You're just resorting to attacks, not facts. I didn't do anything but call you out for it and point out where you were in error. The way you chose to respond to that is entirely your doing. What you are describing didn't actually happen. Since you're new here, I'll just end this with the suggestion that you read the code of conduct and follow it. Making fun of people will not prove any sort of point you're trying to argue for.
I'm sorry, simply saying my description is inaccurate doesn't make it so. I didn't resort to attacks. I stated that I was amused when that guy made a laughable comment about the worth of the kinect. When he challenged my amusement by insisting that it was a Joke for gaming, I didn't attack I listed several facts that make it NOT a joke for gaming. Now, maybe you didn't read them, and maybe you skipped straight to the end of that where I stated that the facts I listed make his comment shallow and ill-informed "ignorant" and presumed that the reason why is a lack of actual first hand experience.

Maybe you call that attacking, but if so its no more attacking than what you did, You attacked me for questioning his first hand experience, by calling it rude and an attack. The difference between you and I is I provided factual first hand experience, Neither of you have given one shred of evidence you have any at all even now. Well, that and I don't cry to mods when someone says something I disagree with.

I haven't made fun of anyone. Ignorance is not a crime or a slander, its just not knowing. Dude made ignorant comments about the kinect, I spoke from a place of experience trying to educate him. You took offense to that. Your problem, not mine. As someone new here I'll just leave it at this. Telling someone they are wrong, and rude and reporting them for no reason, without providing any factual evidence to the contrary isnt any way to prove any sort of point you're trying to argue for.