Report: Yahoo Considers Creating Its Own Version of YouTube

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I don't see Youtube being in much danger. Truthfully a lot of Youtube's criticism seems to be that it was once a very open forum, which later got challenged by business interests, politicians, and other groups, and wound up becoming not-quite-so open, running around shutting down videos due to copyright complaints, shutting down videos because a corporation wanted to funnel people towards the "official" versions, and then of course cow-towing to politicians and such over offensive material ranging from claims of religious offense ("Innocence Of Muslims") to pure "oh, will someone think of the children" content regulation when someone got too sexy/violent/edgy. Not to mention this allegedly free platform locking certain content behind walls which can be slightly inconvenient. For example once I decided to look up "Prussian Blue" (a pair of girls that sing white supremacist songs) when wondering what the big deal was (they hardly turned me into a fan, they were nothing special as singers, though they were decent. Their only real "point" seemed to be controversial material), and honestly it took what seemed like an act of congress to find any of their stuff, where in comparison accessing say black metal or gangsta rap is comparatively easy.

The point here is that Youtube has become increasingly subjective, and involved in censorship (or close to it), as opposed to the "free frontier" for everyone and anyone it was initially supposed to be. The whole "let the user beware" attitude was kind of the point to begin with since you could almost guarantee there was something to offend just about anyone on Youtube, and it was declaring itself a sort of "free zone" away from corporate harassment, sort of like what "The Pirate's Bay" was doing, albeit not as extreme since it was just home made videos, and of course lacking Pirate's Bay's gigantic nards.

Good or bad, right or wrong, it's likely we'll never see anything like what Youtube was appear again. Something like Yahoo, which is a huge corporation itself, is not going to reinstate a big part of what made the WWW a "wild new frontier" due to not being willing to fight or take the risks given that they are easily targeted and have a lot of resources to lose. The best Yahoo is likely to do is pretty much create a service just like Youtube with most of the same policies, censorship, and content limitations/control, at which point the big question becomes why anyone would decide to move to their service. It's not likely they are going to pay massively more money than the competition to people producing content, or give them more of a free hand than Youtube does in terms of say shielding people if some band gets uppity because they used one of their songs.

jollybarracuda

Oct 7, 2011
I hope to god this goes well for them. If there's one thing YouTube needs, it's competition so it can strive to be less shit. When a developer of their own game has their video content taken down of their game because some jackass thought it would be funny to flag it for copyright infringement, there's something that needs to change- and if Yahoo can offer better security in uploaded content and make it more viable to earn a decent paycheck from making videos, then by all means Yahoo, show us that it's possible.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I like this idea. Give them some competition. Let them keep Pewdiepie, better service gets Achievement Hunter.

grey_space

Magnetic Mutant
Apr 16, 2012
Good. Do this please.

Because youtube annoys me.

And I already have a junk email account with yahoo.

Rabid_meese

Jan 7, 2014
I absolutely 100% hate people who Doom Say. "THIS PROJECT IS TEH D00MED!!11!". Shut up. You have no proof.

Honestly, if Yahoo would have done this a few years earlier, it would have been better for them, but YouTube is starting to show cracks. If you want to be a games journalist without a Network, it's hard. And Copyright trolls are everywhere.

The worst case scenario is that that falls, and no big splash is made. Boohoo. Another project on the internet falls. Aside from that, there's a whole slew of options. If they copy YouTubes layout, but protect uploaders from copyright trolls by, say, forcing the person levying the claim for identification and proof their copyright is being violated, and having a customer support team that isn't shit, that's an attractive lure. That could lead to people either moving or importing their videos over there, and that could lead to an arms race.

Yahoo allows 60FPS video? YouTube better adapt. Yahoo's copyright claim system isn't shit and can't be trolled? YouTube better change theirs. Yahoo's upload servers don't break? Better sink some cash into infrastructure Google. Yahoo's hub doesn't bust every other week? Hmm... You get the point.

The worst that could happen is that its a failure, or its stagnant. It doesn't address any of the issues YouTube has. But it has the chance to do good. Doomsaying at this point, when its not even announced yet, is just ridiculous. Nothing is too big to fail, and newcomers are always welcome.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Well, this could solve some of the problems content creators have been having with Youtube and their insane, "we'll take your word for it" opinion on ownership/copyright. I mean seriously, remember when Miracle of Sound was flagged by Miracle of Sound? Fucking nonsense man.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I personally think disallowing any old user the ability to upload will hurt the system tremendously.
Youtube grew from the bedroom producer, only allowing famous people who make big bucks on youtube onto your platform is silly because, if signed with a network, it's likely not worth their time to switch if they're making a comfortable living.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
From what it looks like, Yahoo (err, Microsoft) is fixing to make their own Blip, but calling it their own YouTube.

Since Microsoft has had their hand in the video game market for quite some time, I'm surprised they haven't attempted to start their own Twitch/Hitbox equivalent, considering their stance on Let's Plays and steaming (which boils down to "You can, as long as you're not monetizing it").

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
While I'd all be for this, the issue that they want to "cherry pick" all of YouTube's talent and basically only use professionally-made (from a relative take of "professionally") videos instead of the free upload system that YouTube has makes me a bit apprehensive about this. This is really just more of an attempt to grab YouTube's best stars with a better deal while still not trying at all to help out the little people that upload videos for fun. You know... the free public video hosting service that made YouTube popular to begin with...?

Though this would certainly avoid the recent copyright issues that YouTube's been having, it certainly kills the point of YouTube, that being to watch and host any kind of video (within reason).

gyroscopeboy

Nov 27, 2010
Marissa Mayer hasn't fixed Yahoo at all. If it wasn't for their stake in Alibaba, they would be reporting losses.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
This just sounds like Blip (owned by Maker now owned by Disney). Alternate video site, more restricted uploads, something vaguely resembling quality control (or at least they ditch low viewcount videos). Which also was heavily populated by formerly youtube acts.

techwarn.com

Apr 3, 2014
I think they can really succeed. They have Marissa Mayer on their side, the one that is behind this huge project.