Report: Yahoo Considers Creating Its Own Version of YouTube

Astalano

Nov 24, 2009
They should do this but do it properly. Getting good competition to what is a monopoly is essential.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
BigTuk said:
Pointless....what market would they be catering to... the market for people who don't want youtube?

Look Yahoo even Google tried that (and google is hands down far more technically competent and financially robust than you). They wound up deciding to just buy youtube since the cost to build up Google Viudeo would have taken far more time and cash than would be worth.
Your argument seems to defeat itself when you consider the fact that Google can't seem to make Youtube work right. A fresh start just might be in the cards. Also, competition is good for business.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Genocidicles said:
Well they're welcome to try. They already have the perfect template for success by looking at Youtube before Google bought it.
$10 say it's gonna be pretty alright but then they're gonna force you to connect it to Yahoo+ or they're gonna copyright claim your shit

Eliwood10 said:
Judging by the mess that is the Tumblr video player, this idea is doomed to fail.
from what I remember, it always was like that, they just couldn't get assed to fix it
or to include multiple-tags searching

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Since yahoo is the opposite of everything good, I can't see this doing that well. Youtube works by having very replaceable video producers and marketing the shit out of all the top ones. Even if Yahoo steals Jenna Marbles and Pewdiepie, the next ones in line will just fill their place. Plus it's the internet, and artist loyalty is not one of its strengths. For example, you'd eventually forget about Jim Sterling if he moved to a lesser known site to host his content. Maybe not right away, but eventually.

Sure, some competition is good, but failures could deter future, more effective competitors.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
If they make it "google-less" Youtube, might as well give it a try. But since the feel I get the most out of Yahoo is "mediocrity" I don't really know what to say.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
(...) there is one difference in Yahoo's approach. It's said that Yahoo won't be copying YouTube's open platform that lets users upload 100 hours of content every minute to the network; and is instead, interested in "cherry-picking" popular and more professional YouTube offerings
Newsflash: This is already a thing. It's called Blip.tv.
It is literally the same thing that they propose, except, you know, just like any other closed video-sharing system, it has maybe one-hundredth the spread and fame of YouTube.

Face it: The reason why YouTube (and NicoNico in Japan) is where it is was never because of the system or the "big name" content creators, but because everyone and their grandma could upload anything there. Sturgeon's Law dictates that among the sea of bullshit there will always be islands of awesome, and people come back to YouTube over and over again in hope of finding another such island. When you pick and choose your content creators, this magic up and disappears and you become just another streaming service instead of the crystallized essence of treasure-hunt that is YouTube.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I think yahoo should try to sell their new service on having proper copyright management - and not the moronic and exploitable BS system that youtube has

now that I am certain would get more people to move over

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I can't believe how many people are looking down on this idea, considering how much YouTube is fucking over content creators. If Yahoo created its own version of YouTube, where you can show a 10 second clip of a video game, as part of a review, without getting hit with a copyright strike and having your profits seized, I can see a ton of people flocking to their site.

This whole outlook most people seem to have here of, "This bigger company is already doing it so everyone else should stay out of the way," is very troubling. One company having dominance over a particular service is not good for anyone but that company

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
dragongit said:
yes because it worked so well when Microsoft tried to corner the search engine market with Bing. I wonder how many people are using that... I should ask Google.
I don't think it worked poorly for Microsoft. I use Bing as my default search engine and I prefer it over Google

Saippua

Jan 30, 2011
I think this is great, youtube could use some serious competition, then they couldnt blindly fuck over their users

Drops a Sweet Katana

Folded 1000x for her pleasure
May 27, 2009
I REALLY hope they can pull it off. Youtube has become utterly toxic to content creation due to its effective monopoly on the market. If they do it right and make a decent video player, there are enough major content creators who are less than pleased Youtube's state of being to possibly attract enough of a community to get a foothold.

Tumedus

Jul 13, 2010
I am not one to harp on grammar normally, but did an editor even look at this before posting it to the site? I get that an internet gaming site isn't exactly the NY Times, but take some pride in what you do.

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
Good luck with that, Yahoo. I'm actually itching for a good alternative from Youtube ever since they made some rather idiotic changes to themselves.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
In order to suceed with it they need to do the following:
1. Do not do mistakes youtube did with its awful interface.
2. do not do the mistakes youtube did with its player/video handling that left quite a few videos crippled and bugs still rile players.
3. allow all users to upload content without fearing random fake companies reporting them without reason that automatically blocks content. Make the people making the claim provide the proof. you know, how it is done in the legal system.
4. invest in video storage. high defintion content is increasing rapidly. youtube HD compression is so bad people do not see a difference between SD and HD sometimes. Make the compression less severe and allow the high definition and above content actually look like its high definition.

Unless they do all 4 of these they are not going to suceed. I have very little faith they will suceed.

There is another, 5th factor that would be very helpful.

5. Allow video content to be uploaded at 60 or more frames per second. This is important to any computer footage. And so far only Dailymotion allows that (youtube automatically recompress it to 25fps), so you would have a selling point that competition doesnt have. one thats clearly visible.

rasputin0009 said:
Since yahoo is the opposite of everything good, I can't see this doing that well. Youtube works by having very replaceable video producers and marketing the shit out of all the top ones. Even if Yahoo steals Jenna Marbles and Pewdiepie, the next ones in line will just fill their place. Plus it's the internet, and artist loyalty is not one of its strengths. For example, you'd eventually forget about Jim Sterling if he moved to a lesser known site to host his content. Maybe not right away, but eventually.
Actually, if Yahoo steals Jenna Marbles and Pewdiemoron youtube would improve significantly just by that fact.

However if there is anything that would make me move to another service as my primary, that would be Jim Sterling.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
I think they have a chance if they just copy Youtube but don't force people to use their real name anywhere.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I'm not expecting a lot out of this. Sounds doomed to fail, like a lot of WoW killers were. Youtube just has so much content on it, including short viral videos, and countless shows. I enjoy a lot of producers that you can find on Youtube, for example. Not to mention ease of use and the ability to embed videos on other sites. With all that going against it, this seems unlikely to succeed.

However, if they can lure away some of the most popular Youtube content producers, like TFS, Epic Rap Battles, The Fine Brothers, Jontron, and others, this could give their network some pull. Especially if they give them more protection from copyright claims, which can be seriously BS (Angry Joe had a copyright claim on a video due to a few seconds of a song and music video that he parodied on a video).

It all comes down to content and service. Not holding my breath, though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well, I hope this works out, if only so that youtube has some good competition to keep it from getting lazy.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
It would be nice to see some legitimate competition in the market here. I don't have any faith in Yahoo but they do have the resources to pull it off.

Still though, since I will continue to use Google for my search engine (for obvious reasons), I don't know how this would benefit me unless Google magically decides to give their video utility equal representation. If I don't see their video service at all then this would just mean fewer good videos in the same place if it ever picks up.

Youtube is large enough and well made enough that just providing the same service isn't going to cut it. Since Yahoo can't differentiate itself by cost (one of the only two ways products can differentiate), then it's going to have to figure out a way to do it with quality. I don't know how they can do much better other than not policing their service the same way Youtube does and subsequently leaving themselves open to lawsuit.

DkLnBr

Apr 2, 2009
So they're looking to have a video player that no one will use as well? I'll admit youtube has a ton of problems, but I doubt people will even know yahoo video exists when they release it. Though I do like the idea of Youtube getting challenged (try pulling the same shit they are now when there is a viable alternative out there) this doesnt sound like anything more than "the youtube killer" (Right along there with "the call of duty killer" and "the WOW killer")

00slash00 said:
dragongit said:
yes because it worked so well when Microsoft tried to corner the search engine market with Bing. I wonder how many people are using that... I should ask Google.
I don't think it worked poorly for Microsoft. I use Bing as my default search engine and I prefer it over Google
One person using Bing is hardly cornering the market! :D Sorry, im so mean to every other search engine