Report: Zelda: Breath of the Wild Will Not Launch With Nintendo Switch

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Report: Zelda: Breath of the Wild Will Not Launch With Nintendo Switch

According to a new report, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild will not launch alongside the Nintendo Switch in March.

Emily Rogers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/17112-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Preview#&gid=gallery_6296&pid=1], which credits localization with the cause of the later-than-expected release.

According to Rogers, localization for the game will not be complete until December, and four to six months of testing will be needed after that point.

"...this is one of Nintendo's largest and most ambitious games ever," Rogers writes. "The amount of testing required for a huge open-world game like this is enormous. Nintendo's intention is to have the game as bug free as possible."

One source reportedly referred to Breath of the Wild as "a very ambitious game, maybe even too much."

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was Monolith Soft is helping with the game [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167721-First-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Breath-of-the-Wild-Trailer-Debuted-at-E3], which is being developed by a team of more than 100 people.

Nintendo Switch, previously codenamed Nintendo NX, before January 12, 2017. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168662-Nintendo-Switch-Revealed#&gid=gallery_6577&pid=1]

[gallery=6622]

ShakerSilver

Professional Procrastinator
Nov 13, 2009
That's disheartening. If they don't have a good lineup for the Switch at launch it may just turn out to be a fizzle instead of a bang. Of course if they can instead provide a steady flow of games months after the console launch, that could prove more successful. One of the biggest mistakes of the Wii U was that while it's launch was big (though bloated by many ports) it had a drought of titles immediately afterwards, making it seem dead right off the bat and fostering that "Wii U has no games" attitude.

Hopefully Nintendo can learn from its failures with the Wii U and better balance the Switch's game releases to keep a consistent amount of interest in the console.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Oof that's a hell of a blow for Nintendo. The Switch needs big exclusives to move units and Zelda is a guaranteed blockbuster. I wonder if this could actually push back the NA launch of the console itself?

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
On the one hand: it's good that they're not wanting their big open-worlder to launch like a Bethesda game.

On the other hand: wait, wut?

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Until Nintendo says so, one way or the other, I'm not necessarily going to believe it, although it would be sad if it was delayed.

Still, in that same report, it says that Mario Switch will be a Launch Title. If that's true, I'd still be happy, and I'd still get it Launch Day.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Welp, that's another Nintendo console down the drain. It's okay Nintendo, maybe after a few more failures you can finally reinvent yourself as a toy company.

KenAri

Jan 13, 2013
Nintendo seem very scrambled right now. They're releasing perhaps their biggest title in ~5 years in line with the console its on being discontinued, and not alongside their new console?

Something about one hand not knowing what the other is doing comes to mind.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Mr.Mattress said:
Until Nintendo says so, one way or the other, I'm not necessarily going to believe it, although it would be sad if it was delayed.

Still, in that same report, it says that Mario Switch will be a Launch Title. If that's true, I'd still be happy, and I'd still get it Launch Day.
Please be a Super Mario Galaxy 3.

Or at least a Platformer Mario Game where they did put EFFORT into it, unlike the laziness that is Super Mario 3D Land and at least 3 of the New Super Mario Games.

COMaestro

Vae Victis!
May 24, 2010
Part of me thinks Nintendo should just delay the release of the Switch to coincide with the release of Zelda. It would be a good system seller. However, if they have some exclusive titles ready to go at launch, having Zelda come out a few months later would be okay as it would show some momentum of game releases. They certainly need to do better than how it felt with the Wii U, like only one anticipated game was released every 6-8 months.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
So... the Launch lineup will be mostly Third party ports... and maybe a rushed Nintendo IP along with ONE third party original that'll likely be ported to other systems in a year or two.. just a guess...

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This almost makes me want Breath Of The Wild.

On the other hand I'd settle for an Okami port. Maybe even a No More Hero's port.

If I think about that too much there's so many old games I'd like to be portable ports.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Wasnt BotW already delayed once specifically so it could be a Switch launch title?

What the fuck did they spend all that extra time on?

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
I mean. If it ain't done I'm glad they are waiting until it is with releasing it. On the other hand, the switch had better come out swinging. Zelda on launch would have been a good way to do that.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Well, we're off to a roaring start. I mean, previous Nintendo consoles could coast a Mario title along with some other stuff before the big Zelda title, but the 90s are over.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
So... what does this mean for the Wii U version's release date? I'm not picking up a Switch until they can prove they'll have a solid library after all the money I invested in my Wii U. I mean I don't want to see an open world game rushed out, but Twilight Princess for GameCube got pushed back in favor of finishing the Wii version. I'd hate to see history repeat itself.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I don't think there will be a lot of 3rd party support for this console, at launch. Maybe once they get the waters temperature... It will definitely have Mario at launch, maybe Splatoon. I know some people are counting on Skyrim, but both Bethesda and Nintendo have said that the game isn't confirmed.

Comes right down to it, we are 4 months out from console launch, and we know next to nothing. This is not good for Nintendo.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Honestly? Good. About 75% of the time, launch titles are just bad, bad, bad because of rushing to meet that rigid deadline. I'm glad they smartened up with this.

ShakerSilver said:
That's disheartening. If they don't have a good lineup for the Switch at launch it may just turn out to be a fizzle instead of a bang. Of course if they can instead provide a steady flow of games months after the console launch, that could prove more successful. One of the biggest mistakes of the Wii U was that while it's launch was big (though bloated by many ports) it had a drought of titles immediately afterwards, making it seem dead right off the bat and fostering that "Wii U has no games" attitude.

Hopefully Nintendo can learn from its failures with the Wii U and better balance the Switch's game releases to keep a consistent amount of interest in the console.
If there's one thing Halo 3 taught us though, it's that even if your lineup has been bad for even two years, you could still make bank with one stand-out massive hit. Halo 3 sold a lotta consoles. I guarantee you that.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
ShakerSilver said:

The reason for those droughts is that Nintendo has historically been very bad at dealing with third party developers. I can already see the same trend raising its head.