Republicans in key states won't say they'll accept results of 2022 election.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
No they didn't...
Love to hear how a small Cadre of motivated people doesn't win elections against an apathetic majority.

There's a reason the GOP in the US does better in off-elections. They're motivated. And the crazies are really out in force in the little elections.

Curious as to why you think otherwise

Reactions: BrawlMan

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Love to hear how a small Cadre of motivated people doesn't win elections against an apathetic majority.

There's a reason the GOP in the US does better in off-elections. They're motivated. And the crazies are really out in force in the little elections.

Curious as to why you think otherwise
My comment was about Roe, not the that thing. Pretty funny that in actuality women didn't lose any rights, it's doctors that technicality lost a right. That's how bad Roe v Wade was, along with the fact that doctors aren't allowed to just do whatever they and their patients want so the whole logic and ruling was basically a joke in a legal sense. And who was saying Roe could never be overturned? The very people that are pro-abortion were saying such things let alone the people against abortion yet Roe could never be overturned or was too strong or whatever, only ignorant people may have said that.

Those more acquainted with Ginsburg and her thoughtful, nuanced approach to difficult legal questions were not surprised, however, to hear her say just the opposite, that Roe was a faulty decision. For Ginsburg, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that affirmed a woman’s right to an abortion was too far-reaching and too sweeping, and it gave anti-abortion rights activists a very tangible target to rally against in the four decades since.

Ginsburg and Professor Geoffrey Stone, a longtime scholar of reproductive rights and constitutional law, spoke for 90 minutes before a capacity crowd in the Law School auditorium on May 11 on “Roe v. Wade at 40.”

“My criticism of Roe is that it seemed to have stopped the momentum on the side of change,” Ginsburg said. She would’ve preferred that abortion rights be secured more gradually, in a process that included state legislatures and the courts, she added. Ginsburg also was troubled that the focus on Roe was on a right to privacy, rather than women’s rights.

“Roe isn’t really about the woman’s choice, is it?” Ginsburg said. “It’s about the doctor’s freedom to practice…it wasn’t woman-centered, it was physician-centered.”

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
That's why it was a question vs a statement.
Yes, exactly, you were bullshitting. You refused to engage with the substance of what I said and instead resorted to your usual rudeness and deflection. This is why you're not taken seriously.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Yes, exactly, you were bullshitting. You refused to engage with the substance of what I said and instead resorted to your usual rudeness and deflection. This is why you're not taken seriously.
I was asking a legit question based on your following response
Correction: some of them hate it. Some are okay with it. I don't know if you knew this, but Hispanic people are not a hivemind.
Latinx didn't originate from from Hispanics so if you want latinx to replace latino/a, then you're prescribing to another culture what word to use. And even if you're not telling them to use the word, you would be saying others should use the term latinx to refer to latino/a when you never even asked them if that's what they want to be called. Isn't that literally the opposite of what the whole pronoun push is about, calling people want they want to be called vs telling them what they should be called? Thus, why I asked the question to see what your stance is. I'm just highlighting how all this stuff has no common principles and it's basically "let's make it up as we go" bullshit.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
My comment was about Roe, not the that thing. Pretty funny that in actuality women didn't lose any rights, it's doctors that technicality lost a right. That's how bad Roe v Wade was, along with the fact that doctors aren't allowed to just do whatever they and their patients want so the whole logic and ruling was basically a joke in a legal sense. And who was saying Roe could never be overturned? The very people that are pro-abortion were saying such things let alone the people against abortion yet Roe could never be overturned or was too strong or whatever, only ignorant people may have said that.

Those more acquainted with Ginsburg and her thoughtful, nuanced approach to difficult legal questions were not surprised, however, to hear her say just the opposite, that Roe was a faulty decision. For Ginsburg, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that affirmed a woman’s right to an abortion was too far-reaching and too sweeping, and it gave anti-abortion rights activists a very tangible target to rally against in the four decades since.

Ginsburg and Professor Geoffrey Stone, a longtime scholar of reproductive rights and constitutional law, spoke for 90 minutes before a capacity crowd in the Law School auditorium on May 11 on “Roe v. Wade at 40.”

“My criticism of Roe is that it seemed to have stopped the momentum on the side of change,” Ginsburg said. She would’ve preferred that abortion rights be secured more gradually, in a process that included state legislatures and the courts, she added. Ginsburg also was troubled that the focus on Roe was on a right to privacy, rather than women’s rights.

“Roe isn’t really about the woman’s choice, is it?” Ginsburg said. “It’s about the doctor’s freedom to practice…it wasn’t woman-centered, it was physician-centered.”
Yep. Zero rights lost there. 'Course, I was talking about elections and "settled" law

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I don't understand why you'd be defending using latinx unless that was your stance.
Because you didn't bother to. I didn't even directly defend latinx, which I could take or leave. I merely pointed out that not everyone agrees with you.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
Part of the problem is that the results of American elections are not exactly great to begin with

Reactions: immortalfrieza

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Trump supporters are saying Trump won because Trump had more people at his rallies.

Because a few hundred or thousand of people at a rally are representative of states with millions of people.

Math isn’t Trump supporters’ strong suit.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
Because you didn't bother to. I didn't even directly defend latinx, which I could take or leave. I merely pointed out that not everyone agrees with you.
That's why you look at what the majority thinks for like literally everything because not everyone agrees with everyone ever. So you just responded merely to disagree with me and that was it...

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
That's why you look at what the majority thinks for like literally everything because not everyone agrees with everyone ever. So you just responded merely to disagree with me and that was it...
No, I responded to point out that the rest of the world does not secretly agree with you. You do that a lot.

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I hope Ohio joins them if Biden doesn't approve the student loans for students.

CastletonSnob

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Wish there were something you could do to help your Democratic candidate of choice win? Well, there is. You could volunteer for him/her.

Here's a chart from the VoteDem subreddit, showing Democratic candidates and how you can volunteer for them.

Eacaraxe

Elite Member
Legacy
May 28, 2020
Country
United States
Trump supporters are saying Trump won because Trump had more people at his rallies.

Because a few hundred or thousand of people at a rally are representative of states with millions of people.

Math isn’t Trump supporters’ strong suit.
The logic behind it is reasonably sound. Bigger rallies coincide with voter energy, which translates to mobilization in campaigning and on election day, turnout. Especially so in hyper-polarized landscapes such as that of the contemporary US, where election results depend less on swing voting than getting a party's periphery to the polls (the base is going to turn out regardless).

Is that a causative relationship? no, obviously not, and years with extenuating circumstances like 2020 (i.e. Covid) are going to throw typical expectations out the window. But there's at least a through-line one can follow from premise to conclusion.

It needs be said, that's not limited to Trump voters in 2020. Progressives made the same case in the 2016 and 2020 primaries, where Bernie's rallies were far bigger, and energy much higher, than his opponents' -- and those primaries were ratfucked. The difference being, one is a party primary where ratfucking is fully normalized, and the other was a general election which is vastly more resilient to ratfuckery. To say nothing about Democrats' sudden and inevitable distaste for the electoral college, that for some inexplicable reason only lasted from November 8, 2016, to November 3, 2020.

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
I mean, you're right about the opportunism, but the opportunism is "let's change our policies for only the primary season to benefit Donald Trump because we think he's the most beatable candidate". Again. It really is amazing how shameless they are, networks and companies that spent a half a decade comparing Trump to Hitler suddenly letting him do whatever he wants and posting headlines of the nice things he said about Biden right on time for the only election they want him to win.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I mean, you're right about the opportunism, but the opportunism is "let's change our policies for only the primary season to benefit Donald Trump because we think he's the most beatable candidate". Again. It really is amazing how shameless they are, networks and companies that spent a half a decade comparing Trump to Hitler suddenly letting him do whatever he wants and posting headlines of the nice things he said about Biden right on time for the only election they want him to win.
Which makes them the cowardly bitches they are. Enabling and making excuses for the Trump supporters, neo-nazis, and freaking KKK. For that, they can all go to hell, and have all their groins be used as speed bags by demons. Anyone thinking this is a good idea, or to make things more fair can screw off as well and you're living in a delusional world. I have nothing more to say on the matter.