ReROLL, a new class of RPG?

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Isn't this the game that was claiming they would scan the entire surface of the Earth to reproduce it to scale in their game (which doesn't seem very feasible)?

I dunno, as far as I know they haven't shown actual gameplay other than a few seconds of some isometric play that they said wasn't representative and which showed exactly nothing.

Asking people for money before you have anything concrete on the table is a very dubious practice.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
Zontar said:
CelestDaer said:
That trailer told me nothing... it looks like it could be interesting, but what kind of game is it? Who's the protagonist? Why Canada?
Well, the information I got is from their site, but the game seems to be an open world RPG game with some 3rd person camera type set up.

Can't really say about the protagonist, details on the plot are pretty much only those of the video.

Canada, though, is because Downtown Montreal and Mount-Royal (at least, the areas they are using) have a large diversity of terrain in a confined area. Basically it's because they get the most type of territory for land area.
Yeah, the problem is that the trailer shows none of that. I'd be more likely to believe it was a new shooter over an RPG...

Get_A_Grip_

May 9, 2010
It's hard to get excited over a trailer that shows nothing. Especially for a game that's in the already over saturated survival genre.
Hell it might end up being alright, but it sounds like that the devs are being overly ambitious about it.

Really liked the voice over. Always nice to hear a good Irish accent.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Zac Jovanovic said:
Qvar said:
You mean classless like... Vampire: Masquerade has been doing for centuries?
Aren't vampire species in Masquerade kind of like classes?
No, not at all. To have a "class" it has to be restrictive in order to...well, lock you in the role you are supposed to have. Even Dark Heresy, which has a brilliant system with both classes, levels, but also point buy and freedom, even with the leeway it gives you for where to go in a class, it is still a distinct archetype niche it fulfills. In WoD, your initial choice of which variation of the supernatural template do not restrict your choices or possibilities except in the broadest possible sense (a Camarilla vampire is very unlikely to have Sabbat restricted backgrounds).

Zac Jovanovic said:
And what do you mean centuries:x
It is called exaggeration. Also a play on words. Sure it's not actually centuries but it's a long time - VtM was first released in 1991 - they had their 20th anniversary few years ago (which was awesome, by the way - I do recommend it for anybody new the setting or old fans alike who haven't had a chance to leaf through it). Also, vampires there do (un-?)live very long, so technically from their perspective they've had centuries experience with classlessness.

EternallyBored said:
That's what I meant, although I can see how it's kind of a weak comparison.
Yes - that would be the furthest possible thing from "cross-class".

EternallyBored said:
It would probably have been closer to compare it to Skyrim's skill trees, where your starting selections can give you boosts in skills like a real class, but you can level up skills in any category you want. It does sound like you can't put skill points into trees that you aren't actively leveling up though, unlike in Skyrim, where you can go down your unlocked skills in lockpicking even if you spent most of your last level grinding heavy armor
Yeah - that sort of thing never made sense to me. I mean not just in Skyrim - speaking of WoD - that has a similar problem: people would, for example, gain XP and then they'll spend it on something their characters have done bugger all with. For example, if all a character does is, say, talk their way out of various situations, suddenly becoming more proficient with firearms is not really logical. It's a similar thing in Skyrim and there are more games that fall into the same situations. It's just...doesn't make sense to be able to do it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Whenever I hear an idea that sounds interesting, I always find ways to remain cynical for my own sake. Whenever I get too excited for a game it always ends up getting cancelled or delayed inevitably. An example is Prey 2. The weather thing is nifty, but not necessary for me.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
DoPo said:
EternallyBored said:
It would probably have been closer to compare it to Skyrim's skill trees, where your starting selections can give you boosts in skills like a real class, but you can level up skills in any category you want. It does sound like you can't put skill points into trees that you aren't actively leveling up though, unlike in Skyrim, where you can go down your unlocked skills in lockpicking even if you spent most of your last level grinding heavy armor
Yeah - that sort of thing never made sense to me. I mean not just in Skyrim - speaking of WoD - that has a similar problem: people would, for example, gain XP and then they'll spend it on something their characters have done bugger all with. For example, if all a character does is, say, talk their way out of various situations, suddenly becoming more proficient with firearms is not really logical. It's a similar thing in Skyrim and there are more games that fall into the same situations. It's just...doesn't make sense to be able to do it.
To be fair, in Skyrim at least, you had to at least have the requisite skill level in whatever tree you were picking perks from in order to unlock them. Though, it does still lead to situations where you spent the last 4 levels focusing on combat skills, but somehow still unlock a perk in the lockpicking tree because you started the game with 25 points in that particular skill.

The more I read the website though, the more I want to compare this games system to EVE online though, it sounds like you spend real time hours logged off to learn skills, so you are still learning while your character is resting in their shelter, as long as you have the requisite tools or books or whatever, although its not really spelled out, so maybe their talk of time just means you practice at it a lot ala leveling skills in Elder Scrolls.