Research Finds Violent Games Relieve Stress and Depression

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Well it sure has hell works for me. It doesn't get rid of it completely, but it's damn better than sitting around trying to calm down.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can believe it...nothing is bvetter for blowing off a hard dat with a game of TF2!

wolfister

Oct 20, 2008
I have to say after a long day i love firing up Fallout 3 and start blowing the heads of super mutants or launching the MIRV into a group of people.

DrEmo

May 4, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
And there will be a "study" next week that proves the exact opposite and we all know it.
Then the week after that there will be a study to contradict that study.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
I feel entire weeks worth of stress dissapear when i see any of the following.

Anyone else feel the weight of the worlds dissapear off their sholders?

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I wonder where did they found reasonable researchers who don't have a beef with "those new-fangled vidja gaems".

I also wonder if DEFCON can be considered a "violent game". There's technically no blood (or anything else than a worldmap and a bunch of icons, for that matter) on display, but you kill millions of people in a single match. It works wonders when i'm pissed off.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
However, this act of committing virtual violence is addicting. Negative feelings are contained until they become relived by the thought or action of the expression of the negative feeling in-game, producing a positive feedback in the brain.
This becomes a cycle as the brain becomes ingrained in a habit to continue getting the positive feedback.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have read the video games turn you into a violent sociopath and that's been said so many times that it has to be the truth.

Sheesh, of course it is a stress reliever for crying out loud! Anyone could have told you that. As I state every time a "Gaming creates violence" discussions comes up I keep saying that there are more violent persons than gamers. If all the people who plays violent video games were to kill 3 persons each there wouldn't be many people left, but there aren't that many video game related acts of violence. Sociopaths kill. Some sociopaths are gamers. If what I learned in school is correct that should not end up as either "Gamers are sociopaths" or "Gamers kill" but simply stay at sociopaths kill. I've actually become less violent after I started playing violent games, because mindless killing takes a load of my back.

Of course if you ever were to play I Wanna Be The Guy: The Movie: The Game that wont relieve any stress and might make you punch your computer screen while screaming loudly that you're going to kill everyone then swear until you can't talk because you've screamed away your breath. Still... awesome game.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
In other news, research finds that water is indeed wet.

Really, most gamers and people with common sanity know this. Though of course there'll be a conflicting article soon enough, most of the opposition will be the knee-jerk traditionalists that scream "Satan!" at everything new and foreign to them. Sooner of later though, they'll run out of oxygen.

Sooner or later..

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
DrEmo said:
Then the week after that there will be a study to contradict that study.
And the week after some insane kid will kill someone but it will make national news because once he played Galaga at an arcade. And then someone will try to put heavy restrictions on games and fail miserably. And repeat.

Seriously, there are always studies that prove one thing and then prove the exact opposite. This stuff happens all the time and nothing comes out of it...

Blueruler182

May 21, 2010
Yeah. Hell, I have Depression, and while I've got help for it now, when it was really bad I'd flip on Halo and be happy.

I will say playing as Kratos didn't do the same, but that's just because of the feeling of guilt that came with every bad thing he does. Which shows guilt, so take that anti-game fucktards.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
Like no shit in the first place. After all, capitalist deadlines, communist wages, nazi bosses. You gotta relieve the urges somewhere...

Acting like a FOOL

Jun 7, 2010
Kratos:aww..you made a B- on your essay...well y'know what, I'm going to do your favorite finishing move on this next guy so you'll feel better.

Me: :)

Captain Bobbossa

Jun 1, 2009
they really should just ask a bunch of gamers what they think. A combination of gaming and smoking stops me from killing people.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
Gaming works the same way on me when I'm stressed as any complex distraction that I don't have to do, example, painting, wood work, stuff like that, if I don't have to do it, I generally find it relaxing when I'm pissed off.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
there may be hope for the general public's realtions with video games yet.