Research Finds Violent Games Relieve Stress and Depression

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
arc1991 said:
daftalchemist said:
L4D is my stress relief. What could possibly relieve stress better than shooting zombies in the face?
Shooting Transforming robots in the face? XD
Nah, see, zombies just have that satisfying cave in/squish effect. You shoot them in the face and there's a bleeding crater right there for you to feel good about forming. That or the head just comes clean off, which is just as good.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
The only reason I haven't killed around five people is because I go on a game every night and kill around five hundred people who will be fine because they'll respawn.

Of course, the problem arises when someone fails to see the difference between real life and a game, but people who think that have obviously been messed up already for quite some time.

BboyTeddyBear

Mar 8, 2010
as the article says you need a lot more research. Multiple areas, multiple racial backgrounds, multiple cultural backgrounds and thousands of participants to get a solid journal for all the MDs to read over and what not.

Personally i'm not surprised. Humanity has far too many possibilities so of course you people will start an uproar about stuff like columbine and then start banning video games. Because of all those possibilities you will have isolated events like this happening, but look on a broader scale and even if you have 12year olds playing GTA or MW2 and Halo they aren't going outside and shooting people. Personally after a certain age things just clicked for me and i do notice that video games aren't reality and there is a difference.

more on topic though. I play video games to relieve stress frequently. If i'm hardcore programming and stuck on dealing with some function or something and i can't figure it out i usually just crash and playing something mega simply like minecraft or something

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Anyone else Bookmark this page to spam on the next 'lemon-scented pussy-wipe' story to come out on fox news or whatever?

Quite surprised this came from a college from 'the south' good news either way roll on the conclusive proofs!

Apr 29, 2010
Susan Arendt said:
In another, equally insightful study, fire was found to be hot and water was wet for 92% of participants.
Wait, what about the other 8%?

What surprised me the most was that this was done in Texas of all places.

Jun 7, 2010
What the modern warfare 2 warning should have said:

WARNING: the following level contains scenes of violence that some players may find disturbing... others however, will find it rather soothing and relaxing.

Valksy

Nov 5, 2009
I often feel aggressive and find violent video games to be cathartic so am not at all surprised by these findings. Having a safe place to channel stress, frustration etc is a good idea.

When I was in the worst state of depression I found playing games equally helpful - I found them to be a way to distract myself that was not too difficult or taxing (one of the mechanisms of depression is that it is hard to get yourself to do anything so complex tasks are not ideal). I admit that I found the repetitive and not very challenging nature of games like WoW to work for me with minor accomplishments like dinging being psychologically satisfying. It really was just tricking my mind but it was better than finding it hard to get out of bed or staring gloomily in to space...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Hooray! Maybe this will get the idiots off our back... Or, then again, maybe not...

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Jamous said:
Hooray! Maybe this will get the idiots off our back... Or, then again, maybe not...
crotalidian said:
Anyone else Bookmark this page to spam on the next 'lemon-scented pussy-wipe' story to come out on fox news or whatever?

Quite surprised this came from a college from 'the south' good news either way roll on the conclusive proofs!
I followed the sources and got the page from the actual Uni. :p Glad someone else thought the same.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
This study singlehandedly destroyed the concept of "Video Games cause Violence"

JinxyKatte said:
No shit? Really killing things in a video game relieves stress huh. Well ill just file that under really obvious shit, along with having sex is fun, drinking alcohol gets you drunk and eating loads and loads of food makes you fat.
Yeah well if the Media sees some random person on an internet forum saying it they'll pass it by. If there's a study about it they'll spread it.

Sirisaxman

Jun 8, 2008
JinxyKatte said:
No shit? Really killing things in a video game relieves stress huh. Well ill just file that under really obvious shit, along with having sex is fun, drinking alcohol gets you drunk and eating loads and loads of food makes you fat.
And smoking weed gets you high. lol

beefpelican

Apr 15, 2009
This is redonkulously true. I remember using Prototype to help me get through finals. Nothing is quite so relaxing as murdering your way through Times Square and eating all the bodies.