Researcher Links Media and Violence

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Negligent parenting leads to violent children. NEXT.

We've done this dance before. The results were conclusive. Anylizing media is not bringing us any further away from the truth. Todays violent little bastards reinacting scenes from Call of Duty, are the same little bastards acting out Nazi's vs Allied forces and kicking the weaker kid in the stomach and calling him 'Hitler' of yester year.

Nothing has changed, only our focus on it.

I am so sick of these 'studies'.

woodaba

May 31, 2011
Christ almighty, did NO ONE read the article? He said "media", not video games! And he never once said that media causes violence, only that it causes aggression, which we have known for decades! His only bullshit claim was that media desentizes us to violence which is pretty much unprovable, as far as i'm aware.

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
natster43 said:
I agree with his correlation. Media in all forms including video games does effect people at least a little bit. They are not the only thing to effect people and it would be hard to prove how much is caused just by media, but it still is a factor in desensitizing and causing aggression in people.
The only part I do not agree with is the "makes the world seem scarier" part. He lives in Australia, a place where everything is actively trying to kill you in horrible ways. I think he may be just a bit biased in the regards of how scary our world is. That was a joke.
Lolol. Good one! Australia is perfectly safe, after all.

>_>

<_<

[small][small]Psst. The snakes are holding me hostage. Send help.[/small][/small]

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
The real answer is probably that violent media influences people with a predisposition to being aggressive in a limited way; but since people on either side of the debate won't be satisfied until 'video games are definitively linked/not linked to violent behaviour' the debate is going to continue forever.

godofslack

May 8, 2011
It's not abnormal, but violence in media isn't going anywhere. Violence is at the core of being alive, it's not like you can completely sanitize humanity so violence is not only removed from the world. Frankly, most forms of media include violence, an aspect frequently over looked. It's rare to find any media devoid of violence, I mean hell, most books involve violence, and to remove that from young people's repertoire they will miss out on countless classics. I believe that censoring violence (or sexuality) would cause more harm than good, for if you had to wait years into your life before watching a really good movie, reading an amazing book or playing a classic game you would be socially behind those who are allowed. By saying your kid can't view violence you are effectively alienating them from all those that do.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
"world isn't as a scary....."

Dudes got balls for saying that, considering he lives in Australia.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
LordFish said:
Farther than stars said:
And it sounds like you just drew up your conclusions about the study before even reading it. How is that any less presumptuous? Also, remember the lesson of Karl Popper about trying to disprove your own ideas being the best way to discover the truth.
Presuming I didn't read the study then chastising me for being presumptuous; Oh the irony.
So... did you read it?

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
"They include increases in the likelihood of aggressive behavior, increases in desensitization to violence and an increase in the overall view that the world is more scary and hostile than it really is."
And yet Republicans don't play video games. So what's their excuse?

DirtyJunkieScum

Feb 5, 2012
Yeah, seems like a fairly reasonable set of statements on his part and apart from the uninformative title and slightly misleading sub heading some pretty level headed reporting from the Escapist for once. Well done.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
In not too sure, but if after 15 minutes the agressive behavior stops, then...what's the problem? It's the same after any sort of activity that has some sort of emotional involvement or adrenaline rush involved. Just like sports, or excercise, or watching a scary movie, or whatever. It's called hormones and homoeostasis. If comes back to base line. If the study showed that the baseline rises consistently, then we have problem. Otherwise, this is just gleefully ignoring biology and feedback loops.

On the other hand, the world is as scary as violent media shows. Just yesterday some friends and I were handing out flyers. One friend walked up to a car and saw that one of the guys inside had a big machine gun between his legs. This, in one of the main streets of the city. In broad daylight. She just smiled, laughed nervously and walked away. Nice bubble this guys lives in.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
rhizhim said:
the guy is somewhat right. take the control off one of your friends while he is playing and watch his fury unleash.
To be fair it's the same of most things, take someone's tennis ball, golf ball, football, book, phone, etc whilst they're using it and they're not going to be particularly pleased with you; it really comes down to each individual person just how badly (or not) they're going to react to it.

It's the adrenaline, not the activity itself, that makes people aggressive.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
It is important to not dismiss this study simply because it reflects negatively on our medium of choice, as is the case with this study which does not exaggerate it's result with claims of video games causing school shootings or video games inspiring a rape.

Rather, this person should be lauded for not attempting to intentionally rile people against our medium of choice and in a sad but not unheard of attempt to garner attention to their book/show/agenda.

His research makes sense, if you have a session of playing or experiencing violent media, you become temporarily more aggressive, as well as when you experience a particularly sad piece of media you feel sad for a time.

What is dangerous, and what is desiring of lambasting, is instances where such knowledge is used to manipulate people into bequeathing their freedoms for what they see as safety.

The procurement of knowledge is not objectionably, the abuse of it is monstrous.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Let me put it this way, you're from Australia and are accusing video games of causing violence, no one not already on your side is going to listen to you and your (and their) bias.

aaron552

Jun 11, 2008
Paragon Fury said:
"world isn't as a scary....."

Dudes got balls for saying that, considering he lives in Australia.
Speaking as an Australian, the risks associated with living here seem to be vastly overstated. And yes, there are a lot of dangerous species here, but unless you live way out of the major cities, you'll probably never even see them.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
"Violent media". Does that include TV news? Because if someone is to blame it should be those insensitive panic spreading sensationalist fuckers.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Meh, none of this "A Makes You Violent" crap would matter if parents got off their asses and parented like they're supposed to.

At 7-10 years old:

Your kid should not be reading "Lolita"

Your kid should not be watching "The Silence of the Lambs"

and

YOUR KID SHOULD NOT BE PLAYING CALL OF DUTY

Eesh.
And yet I was standing in Gamestop the other day waiting to check out as two kids and their parents walked into the store. While the ankle-biters ran too and fro like mice on crack looking for what they wanted, the dad struck up a conversation with me. I don't remember the specifics but it had something to do with how they were cutting into his alone time with the 360. What I do remember clearly was him saying "I finally let them start playing Call of Duty, I think they're old enough for it now."

It took every ounce of restraint I had to not tell him that his kids really shouldn't be playing that at their age since it's rated for 17yrs+. The kids looked to be in that age range of about 9-11 years old.

The ratings systems apparently really don't mean jack shit to anyone, yet they'll turn around and condemn the industry for putting shit like CoD into their kid's hands.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Hey parents, [HEADING=2]READ THE FUCKING AGE RATING AND CONTENT WARNINGS[/HEADING] before you buy something. If your kid can have it legally and there's nothing too bad about it, go ahead. If they fall below the age rating or you see something you don't like the look of, you think about what your kid can handle and the decide wether to get it or not.