Researchers Fear the Rise of Angry LEGO Faces

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Worgen said:
I'm really getting sick of this whole grizzled macho manly bullshit view of being a manly adult. Can't fucken anything be happy anymore?
Where is a benevolent sun god to take care of this shit when you need her?
There she is
Based on E3 by the year 2026 all media will be replaced by brown and gray versions filled with gun-wielding characters who all have tragic backstories (even background characters). This includes My Little Pony which will be about a squad of Equestiran Marines (all colored either black or brown) who will have to mow down hordes of vaquely Russian ponies with magical military technology and... oh god I'm writing fanfiction.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
Ldude893 said:
kailus13 said:
That's clearly a picture of Lego Frodo walking in on his parents having sex.
Or catching Bilbo with his dildo.

[sub][sub]Sorry.[/sub][/sub]
Catching Bilbo with Bilbo's dildo, or catching Bilbo with Frodo's dildo?

[sub][sub]So, so sorry.[/sub][/sub]

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I think it's actually an interesting sort of comment or side note on society at the current time. I don't, however, think the larger number of angry Lego faces is having any impact on youth who play with them (and, quite frankly, EVERY kid should play with Lego).

Britishfan

Jan 9, 2013
Why should it be LEGO's responsibility. surely it should be the parent's. Unless doing so would break the law LEGO is perfectly within its rights to make anything they think will sell.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Uhhhhhh... k.

I shudder to think how my dozens of expressionless K'Nex figures affected me...

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
My friends, if violent videogames have no directly observable link to childhood violence, then I highly doubt that having a pissed off Lego Batman face will push them over the edge.

Worgen said:
I'm really getting sick of this whole grizzled macho manly bullshit view of being a manly adult. Can't fucken anything be happy anymore?
There she is

Aedes

Sep 11, 2009
They probably look better now than what it first started.
The classic bland smily face does bring back some nostalgia though. Good I have Minecraft to fill the void.

captcha: it hurts
What the fuck, captcha...

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
Lord of the Rings Lego. Based of a film that's rated 12; which is based of a book which is quite substantial reading for any child.

I don't think Lord of the Rings Lego was made for kiddy-winks in mind. I think it's made for 12 year olds (and anyone younger whose relatives don't care about ratings). And is also bought by the over 12s.

This study should ignore the Lord of the Rings sets.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
scw55 said:
Lord of the Rings Lego. Based of a film that's rated 12; which is based of a book which is quite substantial reading for any child.

I don't think Lord of the Rings Lego was made for kiddy-winks in mind. I think it's made for 12 year olds (and anyone younger whose relatives don't care about ratings). And is also bought by the over 12s.

This study should ignore the Lord of the Rings sets.
No, I'm pretty sure the Lego: LotR set was made for the adult Tolkien fans and collectors in mind :p

In other news, really? As a girl who grew up with LEGOs, I can say the last thing that was ever on my mind was the expression on its face. In fact, I specifically remember turning their heads backwards sometimes, because if I was making some awesome biker lego dude with a helmet and black clothes, I wasn't going to have a creepy smile plastered on his face.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Meh I rather have those faces then the smirk look

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
I dunno, I'd frankly be a bit more worried about the effect on kids if the lego figures were happy and smiling as they butchered each other...

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
the classic LEGO smile could someday become more of a rarity, something researchers fear could be harmful to children.
No.

No it won't.

You absolute prat.

Also I have enough regular Lego heads stashed in my Roofspace to keep the next 10 generations of my family fully supplied with those classic, smiley, yellow, everything-was-better-in-the-1950s bulbs.

Also if lego expressions are so central to a child's development wouldn't we all have been driven to madness and Satanism long ago by the ghosts at night?

[HEADING=1]I will devour your soul![/HEADING]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
kajinking said:
Worgen said:
There she is
Based on E3 by the year 2026 all media will be replaced by brown and gray versions filled with gun-wielding characters who all have tragic backstories (even background characters). This includes My Little Pony which will be about a squad of Equestiran Marines (all colored either black or brown) who will have to mow down hordes of vaquely Russian ponies with magical military technology and... oh god I'm writing fanfiction.
Oh crap, its already starting to happen

Dont worry, I know how to fix things.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Worgen said:
kajinking said:
Worgen said:
There she is

You're both oh so very wrong.

Yes, by 2026 everything will be grim and dark but...the Ponies as Marines? Please, not nearly grim and dark enough, and Hasbro knows it: They want to keep with the times but still do something completely different and unexpected to stay relevant.

How? They're going to merge the pony world with the world of Berserk, thus ensuring they have enough Grimdark to go around..and dear god they will.

But on the plus side the soundtrack will be composed by Susumu Hirasawa, so there's that.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sir Shockwave said:
Worgen said:
Don't bother Celestia, she has enough problems right now as it is X3

OT: Is there any basis for saying this? Because until I see some proven solid figures, I'm gonna be calling him out.
Honestly, I think they just ran out of ways to complain about video games.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Worgen said:
There she is
I'm still very "Alicorn =/= god". However, that post just made my day, and looking down further at the replies to said comment is making things even better. Thanks for that.

On topic: This seems pretty overblown, but I do get their point a bit. Still, just like with the video games industry, responsible parenting is by far the most important part of a child's development and thus should be focused on far more than whether or not their toys make angry faces. A 5-year-old who plays something like Vice City can actually grow from the experience, granted that an intelligent parent who knows their child fully supervises them closely and discusses the mature parts with them, though it would still be difficult and risky.

Captcha: "road less travelled"

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:

One does not simply underestimate the destructive power of children; happy faces or no.

I'm pretty certain I had as much fun destroying things I had made out of Lego as I did building them. As a child I would have welcomed a greater variety of faces. Kids already know about good and bad. Hell, most children's stories are written to have a clear hero and villain and it's more than likely that they'll act out fantasies based around that structure because it's a persistent and familiar one.

I will admit, however, that this figure is terrifying and there's no excuse for its existence:

And yes yes, it surely must be Frodo's tortured face there that is disturbing the young'uns. He's not happy and it sets the wrong tone. I wonder if the people who did this study happened to notice the highly detailed incredibly disturbing lego built giant spider the size of a human head that happened to come with that minifig?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Infernai said:
Worgen said:
kajinking said:
Worgen said:
There she is

Yes, by 2026 everything will be grim and dark but...the Ponies as Marines? Please, not nearly grim and dark enough, and Hasbro knows it: They want to keep with the times but still do something completely different and unexpected to stay relevant.

How? They're going to merge the pony world with the world of Berserk, thus ensuring they have enough Grimdark to go around..and dear god they will.

But on the plus side the soundtrack will be composed by Susumu Hirasawa, so there's that.
Not grimdark enough for you? How about this!
its based on

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Worgen said:
Infernai said:
Worgen said:
kajinking said:
Worgen said:
There she is

Not grimdark enough for you? How about this!
its based on
I'm sorry to say...it isn't Oh, don't get me wrong I'm all to familiar with the brutality of the Warhammer 40K setting but you're doing this all wrong for one simple reason: Friendship is still the cornerstone. Oh sure, a brutal and unforgiving setting is required, but for it to truly ascend from the realm of Dark into GRIMdark we must first give the viewers and players of this fair game of ours the belief that there is some small slither of hope, that success is possible...only to gun them down just inches away from the finish line and make them realise that success was NEVER an option.

For this series to go full grimdark, into the abyss so troubled it needs to break it's one core foundation into dust and scatter it to the wind. We must see them grow close, trust one another, forge friendships and become likeable, even loved, characters. And then we create the worst possible scenario, one that friendship isn't able to solve..for this was a situation which this much loved "Friendship" caused in the first place. And for that to happen, we have only one option to turn to: The Crimson Behelit of the Godhand.

See that little necklace? THAT is the key to this whole glorious plan. Only one person, one with enough ambition and a desire to lead, needs to wear that...And when the worst possible event of their life unfolds, it shall activate. And when it does, four "Guardian Angels" Shall descend:

They will offer the bearer of the behelit salvation, an escape from this most horrible of situations...Power and the ability to ascend to godhood and become the fifth among their ranks. But, a cost must be paid: The lives of every person loyal to them or those that they consider friends.

This is the point in the story where Friendship is supposed to win, where a persons connections and faith in their comrades will triumph...but today that isn't happening. As i said prior this ONLY activates at a time when the holder of the Behelit has reached their lowest moment, when they are truly without hope and wish for an escape to their situation...the Godhand thrive on this weakness.
Now, i know what you're thinking: Why not throw away the Behelit? Once it has found an owner, it will find it's way back to them to ensure that when the moment of their despair arrives it will be ready to activate. Now second question, what's to stop the holder refusing the offer? Well, i did say that it only activates during a time when the holder would not be thinking of anything but ridding themselves of their grief..but in case a user needs more of a push, the Godhand will delve deep into their psyche and bring fourth all evidence of actions that demonstrate their ambition or drive, they will convince them of the sacrifices they have mind already and that one more wouldn't hurt would it? They will do wahtever it takes to make the offer TOO tempting to refuse, reminding them that their dream is more important. They will even use illusions to make the holder think that, if they talked to their friends about it, they would not be against her...if anything, they will convince them that their "Friends" are holding them back. It would be then that the sacrifice would be agreed too, and all of the newly ascended godhands former "Friends" would be torn asunder and killed by the demon hordes, gathering to praise the "birth" of a "New god".

I admit mine is more slow building, but make no mistake if we take time to build everything, it will make it all the sweeter when the brutality of the world we have shown finally consumes them, destroys them and spits out the mangled remains. By all means we need a brutal world for them to exist in, but as i said: What's the point in taking away all hope, if there is no hope to take away?