Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:
3 More Days!

Did they...did they actually...

Jesus Christ Capcom, you finally got the sound of Nemesis saying "STARS" correct again. That only took you 21 years. :(

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Played the demo. My impressions....HYPED!

Once again, I got to give to Capcom for the attention to details and references. With that out the of the way, gameplay. The gameplay is definitely more actiony than RE2, just like the originals. I noticed that dismemberment is harder to pull off. It can still be done with guns, but you have to be a bit more precise or have the shotgun. The knife has been nerfed. Jill does not do wide swiping motions with the knife. Instead she does more of a jab shank. Dodging has to be frame perfect and on point, unlike the RNG of the original. And Nemesis is more threatening than ever. Dude can do leaps and bounds, very aggressive, and unlike Mr. X, you cannot really hide from him aside from a few rooms. Even then, he will wait for you and ambush. Also, he can infect zombies with parasites now. That can't be good! Overall, I'm scared and redy. I have not tried the beta for Resistance yet, and I might give it a go. The single player is my main focus.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:

Once again, I got to give to Capcom for the attention to details and references. With that out the of the way, gameplay. The gameplay is definitely more actiony than RE2, just like the originals. I noticed that dismemberment is harder to pull off. It can still be done with guns, but you have to be a bit more precise or have the shotgun. The knife has been nerfed. Jill does not do wide swiping motions with the knife. Instead she does more of a jab shank. Dodging has to be frame perfect and on point, unlike the RNG of the original. And Nemesis is more threatening than ever. Dude can do leaps and bounds, very aggressive, and unlike Mr. X, you cannot really hide from him aside from a few rooms. Even then, he will wait for you and ambush. Also, he can infect zombies with parasites now. That can't be good! Overall, I'm scared and redy. I have not tried the beta for Resistance yet, and I might give it a go. The single player is my main focus.
So, I've pre-ordered, so it's kind of moot anyway, but:

-It's more actiony than RE2; how would you say it stacks up with RE4? I'm assuming less actiony, but significantly less actiony, or slightly less actiony?

-With Nemesis, from what you've said (and what others have said), running away doesn't really work, but if that's true, is fighting him the best COA? Is there anything that fazes him?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
CoCage said:

So, I've pre-ordered, so it's kind of moot anyway, but:

-It's more actiony than RE2; how would you say it stacks up with RE4? I'm assuming less actiony, but significantly less actiony, or slightly less actiony?

-With Nemesis, from what you've said (and what others have said), running away doesn't really work, but if that's true, is fighting him the best COA? Is there anything that fazes him?
RE3Remake is more actiony than the RE2Remake, just like their original versions. But not exactly like RE4's action. I noticed that head shots are little easier to pull off with Jill's default pistol. Especially with the laser sight upgrade. The shotgun just wrecks zombies. Have them walk in to your cross hair, and boom, instant exploding head! Nemesis, is just best to run from, unless you've perfected the dodge counter. Doing a perfect dodge and using your gun causes more damage to an enemy or you can land a critical hit. I found out that you can stun Nemesis for a lengthy time, if you throw a grenade at him. He will kneel down for about 15 seconds, similar to Mr. X.. Nemesis will obviously change forms and have different phases, so I am sure the fame will keep things interesting. Nemesis in his standard form can infect zombies with parasites, leap from long distances, and has his classic tentacle grab. So watch out for that when playing the demo.

The one thing I noticed that's different from RE2 is that sub-weapons no longer have there separate menu. On one hand this keeps Jill from being overpowered as weapon degradation no longer exists, and she has dodge mechanic to make up for it. The downside is that you can't use sub-weapons to get a zombie off you. Not even the grenades can save you. You pretty much have to press the X button (PS4) to get the zombie/creature off of Jill for reduced damage. Hopefully, they can bring that feature back as an unlockable by beating the game, your first time through.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Holy shit, Nemesis is scary again. He is a dick and can infect zombies with head parasites that have ranged attacks, plus hes got a Batman tentacle that lets him just go up into the air.

I'm not Drunk, your drunk, if it wasn't for Doom and Half Life comign out I would be more stoked for this game but ias it is Im pretty stoked for it.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
It seems Nemesis is extremely menacing, to the extent of possibly being annoying or frustrating? I wonder how people will do with no upgrade runs or speed runs having to deal with him constantly cutting you off and tossing you around.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hanselthecaretaker said:
It seems Nemesis is extremely menacing, to the extent of possibly being annoying or frustrating?
That's the big question when the full game is released. It's a fine line between scary and annoying when it comes to stalkers, and Remake Nemesis feels very eager to not let you rest even for a moment.

As for impressions.. It's really damn good. At first the lack of defensive weapons really fucked me up; after having played RE2 Remake dozens of times that get-outta-jail-free instinct is very ingrained. RE3 Remake really seems to go hard on the dodge, and with no defensive ability it completely changes the game. Specifically when dealing with Nemesis you really seem to need to get that dodge right or you're fucked. With that in mind though Nemesis seems much easier to deal with, since you can incapacitate him just as quickly as Mr. X. You can't permanently down him like the Original, but depended on your ammo supply you can put him in a stun state without too much trouble.

Speaking of Nemesis, within the context of this demo he wasn't very scary since he just shows up without any sort of build-up. He also lacked his Original stalker theme which was bone chilling, and the new music really doesn't add anything. Maybe it will better in the full game, but as it is the music is just as disappointing by comparison as RE2 Remake's was.

The game has received a pretty big graphical enhancement over RE2 Remake though. Holy shit, do Jill and Carlos look fucking sexy as hell. Even Mikhail.. I just wanna hug his beautiful face.

Also, anyone else notice how absolutely shit that water spray from the firehose looked? Jesus, it's like they just ripped that effect straight from the Original. I'm guessing that'll get touched up for the full release.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Looks at thread...

...so, anyone else find it odd that a rookie cop and college student can use defensive moves, but a former Delta Force and STARS officer can't? 0_0

Casual Shinji said:
Even Mikhail.. I just wanna hug his beautiful face.
Heh, why don't you nibble his ear while you're at it? :p

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
it's aight actually. tho to be perfectly honest, never played the original, so might be a filthy secondary here. love having a dedicated bumble button. and the characters are less tiresomely flat than RE2 remake, even if only marginally so. still would be nice to have a shoulder swap ability, why you deny me this cappycom?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Looks at thread...

...so, anyone else find it odd that a rookie cop and college student can use defensive moves, but a former Delta Force and STARS officer can't? 0_0
Yeah it makes zero sense, but ultimately I think it will help in training the player to dodge attacks rather than escape it, strengthening Jill's character as a S.T.A.R.S member. It does feel really badass when you pull off a perfect dodge, and the game slows down for you to pop a zombie in the head.

Casual Shinji said:
Even Mikhail.. I just wanna hug his beautiful face.
Heh, why don't you nibble his ear while you're at it? :p
I'd nibble every inch of that face if I could.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
Looks at thread...

Which is really odd, as she can use defense items fine in RE1Remake.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Have the game pre-ordered and will play it no matter what but already know I'm not going to love this as much as RE2 Remake. Emphasis too much on action which makes Nemesis un-scary by default. Carlos with that giant mop of hair just looks plain stupid. Mikhail with his overdone accent is the shady Russian military figure that was already cliche in '80s action movies. Tori Black..eh Jill looks really good though.

Zombie dismemberment and gore also seems toned down. If like RE2 Remake the game had more emphasis on isolation, oppression and dread then Nemesis stalking those hallways could make more of an entrance. Now he seems more like an annoyance you fight along the way in predetermined scenario's. I know RE3 was always more action-y but RE2 Remake had this brilliant build-up to any confrontation here it's just have some weapons have some zombies. There is not any tension or dread aggravated by the dodge mechanic that feels arcade-y. It also lacks that finer elegance RE2 Remake had.

In it's own right I still enjoyed it quite a lot but in direct comparison to RE2 Remake that game is just perfect and it looks like this one isn't going to top that. Still it's only a demo so eagerly awaiting the full release.

dscross

Elite Member
Legacy
May 14, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
stroopwafel said:
Have the game pre-ordered and will play it no matter what but already know I'm not going to love this as much as RE2 Remake. Emphasis too much on action which makes Nemesis un-scary by default. Carlos with that giant mop of hair just looks plain stupid. Mikhail with his overdone accent is the shady Russian military figure that was already cliche in '80s action movies. Tori Black..eh Jill looks really good though.

Zombie dismemberment and gore also seems toned down. If like RE2 Remake the game had more emphasis on isolation, oppression and dread then Nemesis stalking those hallways could make more of an entrance. Now he seems more like an annoyance you fight along the way in predetermined scenario's. I know RE3 was always more action-y but RE2 Remake had this brilliant build-up to any confrontation here it's just have some weapons have some zombies. There is not any tension or dread aggravated by the dodge mechanic that feels arcade-y. It also lacks that finer elegance RE2 Remake had.

In it's own right I still enjoyed it quite a lot but in direct comparison to RE2 Remake that game is just perfect and it looks like this one isn't going to top that. Still it's only a demo so eagerly awaiting the full release.
I played a bit of it and this is the impression I got from it as well. It doesn't feel as claustrophobic as the OG RE3. People keep saying RE3 original was significantly more action-heavy than 2 but there wasn't THAT much of a difference. It was still essentially the same gameplay in narrow alleyways with loads of backtracking. Let's hope they haven't changed as much as they are saying. I'm sure I'll still enjoy but might not end up doing S+ runs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I?ll probably wait for it to be a PS+ deal of the month. As stroopwafel said it really seems to lack the finer points in terms of design and presentation. I remember liking 2 more than 3 originally though too. Nemesis was a prick back then and it seems he?ll be an even bigger prick now. At least with Mr. X you have those heavy footsteps lurking around stalking you, and it makes for fun cat & mouse scenarios. This just seems like, ?STAARRSS mothafuggaaa here I am fuck you!!? when you?re just trying to explore a bit.

It?s also stupid to have no way of fighting back when grabbed by a measly zombie. There seems to be missed opportunities to make the game mechanics not feel stilted. Even from the RE2 Remake things like not being able to step over a 6? gap in bookcases until you find a jack is cringeworthy, even considering it?s based on design two decades on now.

Basically it would?ve been refreshing if they revitalized some of the survival horror and puzzle elements even half as much as they did the graphics and sound (aside from the soundtrack which as mentioned above is pretty underwhelming next to the original; at least for 2). Even RE2 Remake hasn?t really held my interest enough to finish it yet, and that?s saying something considering it was one of my favorite games back then. Makes me think there is a lot of nostalgia tied to its vast critical acclaim.

It?s kinda ironic as far as remakes go, which leaves me to wonder how much less praise FF7?s demo might?ve gotten if it didn?t update its combat system and just focused almost entirely on presentation.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
stroopwafel said:

To each is his or her own, but you can still dismember zombies pretty easily. The requirement for it is a bit more precise. Once you know the trick, it's almost as if you're playing RE2 again. Nemesis is still going to be tense, but not annoying. That will probably change when you're playing on hardcore. Nemesis can follow you in rooms, but there are certain other rooms he'll never go in, but he will be waiting for you as soon as you step outside and move a little further. The only thing he can't touch are save rooms. I already know RE3 remake is not going to be as good as RE2 remake. The same applied to the originals. Both versions of 3 are mission pack sequels. I am looking forward to the game regardless.

EDIT: Google speak screwed up again.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
CoCage said:
To each is his or her own, but you can still dismember zombies pretty easily. The requirement for it, is a bit more precise. I want to know the trick, it's almost as if you're playing already to again. Nemesis is still going to be tense, but not annoying. I'll probably change when you're playing on hardcore. Nemesis can follow you in certain rooms. but there are certain other rooms he'll never go in, but he will be waiting for you as soon as you step outside and move a little further. The only thing you can't touch are save rooms. I already know re3 remake is not going to be as good as re2 remake. The same applied to the originals. I am so looking forward to the game regardless.
I think RE2 Remake played more into the franchise's strength. With Mr X the intention was never to intentionally engage him so his presence became more of an atmosphere enhancer and your encounters with him were built around that premise while with Nemesis the intent is obviously the opposite and this takes away some(if not all) of the tension and atmosphere espescially with the game designed around action anyway. Nemesis becomes more like a boss in an action game. Those are also always never scary. I love in RE2 Remake when Mr X pulls the helicopter away and Leon is like ''Jesus Christ'' before noping the fuck out of there. It was awesome and Leon knew Mr X was just way out of his league. It gave depth to the threat.

There are just a ton of details in RE3 Remake missing that all add up. Spaces seem emptier. No real use of lighting to set the mood(the neon signs are way too bright and almost give the game a DmC vibe). A small detail maybe but this sums it up perfectly for me; in RE3 Remake(atleast the demo) all the windows are full of some kind of condense taking away not only the atmosphere of the room or hallway but also the effect RE2 Remake had where you were walking across a transparent window, hear the rain tickling against it while being able to see the city in the distance. It really gave you that feeling you were trapped in this police station full of viruses, zombies and monsters while simultaneously the world outside had gone to shit as well.

Having all those pieces fall in place is amazing beyond belief. Every inch of RE2 Remake felt meticulously planned from multiple angles; both design, artistic and through ambient noise. There were few, if any, intrusions. For that reason I love it's minimalistic soundtrack. RE3 Remake feels more haphazardly put together, relying more on quick thrills with exploding barrels everywhere and scripted setpieces with Nemesis designed for Let's Players to overreact too.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
stroopwafel said:
I think RE2 Remake played more into the franchise's strength. With Mr X the intention was never to intentionally engage him so his presence became more of an atmosphere enhancer and your encounters with him were built around that premise while with Nemesis the intent is obviously the opposite and this takes away some(if not all) of the tension and atmosphere espescially with the game designed around action anyway. Nemesis becomes more like a boss in an action game. Those are also always never scary. I love in RE2 Remake when Mr X pulls the helicopter away and Leon is like ''Jesus Christ'' before noping the fuck out of there. It was awesome and Leon knew Mr X was just way out of his league. It gave depth to the threat.
Not that different from vanilla 3. Nemesis would show up at randomized moments or if Jill or Carlos stayed in certain areas for not too long. Nemesis also had his scripted encounters too.

There are just a ton of details in RE3 Remake missing that all add up. Spaces seem emptier. No real use of lighting to set the mood(the neon signs are way too bright and almost give the game a DmC vibe). A small detail maybe but this sums it up perfectly for me; in RE3 Remake(at least the demo) all the windows are full of some kind of condense taking away not only the atmosphere of the room or hallway but also the effect RE2 Remake had where you were walking across a transparent window, hear the rain tickling against it while being able to see the city in the distance. It really gave you that feeling you were trapped in this police station full of viruses, zombies and monsters while simultaneously the world outside had gone to shit as well.
RE3 Remake does have details. Maybe not as much as in RE2, but I disagree. Plus, it's a short section of a demo, so I am not going to base how everything will play off of that. If you go back and play the original RE3, the game was technically brighter than RE2. For one, in original RE3, the game started during the day, You just could not tell, because all of the smoke covered the sky. Once you progress to the halfway and end point, it's night to early dawn. Most of the structure of RE3 was narrow corridors too, so it's actually being true in that regard too. The city's infrastructure was based off a Japanese city instead of an American in the original. The Remake seems to be going for a combination of both. Also, it makes sense for being bright, as you're in the beginning mid area of the zombie apocalypse being started. People are running around, still (barely) alive. You could find survivors briefly, before they got eaten by zombies in the original. It's not like RE2 where most of the shit has already hit the fan, and you're showing up after the fact. You'll get your dark areas later in the game when you get to the clock tower and dead factory. Or that section in the previews with the Drain Demos. Your description of the brightness is an exaggeration. DmC (2013) is way fucking brighter an either version of RE3 can ever muster.

Having all those pieces fall in place is amazing beyond belief. Every inch of RE2 Remake felt meticulously planned from multiple angles; both design, artistic and through ambient noise. There were few, if any, intrusions. For that reason I love it's minimalistic soundtrack. RE3 Remake feels more haphazardly put together, relying more on quick thrills with exploding barrels everywhere and scripted setpieces with Nemesis designed for Let's Players to overreact too.
The original RE3 had plenty of environmental hazards, and not jut the exploding barrels. So that is nothing new to the franchise when going post 4. Honestly, it does not take away the horror for me. It might not add a lot, but that is not a bad thing. I know some people did not like original RE3's design, but I don't mind spending time in the city for both versions. RE2's major flaw was the advertisement for the original (the remake obviously does not have this problem), more or less promised you be in the city streets for most of the time. At best it's 20 minutes (even less so in the remake), and after that, the game is a beat by beat repeat of RE1. Police Station (Mansion) --> Basement --> Lab. A traitor in the ranks within the police force. A character that wears red with ulterior motives (Barry/Ada). A male cop that gets powerful handguns and shotguns. A girl that gets the grenade launcher and other powerful, weird, experimental guns. I don't have much of a problem with this, as RE2 was my first RE game back in 1998. But is a bit disappointing in concept around retrospect.

RE2 Remake had set pieces too, so this not that different. Granted, there might have more proper build up than RE3's, but once again, I'll save the criticism when the game comes out.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
CoCage said:
You'll get your dark areas later in the game when you get to the clock tower and dead factory.
I'm actually wondering about that. Of all the gameplay we've seen so far, it's only ever been Jill on the streets, or in the power station. No RPD (sans Carlos maybe), no clock tower, no dead factory. Could be hiding it, and Carlos definitely ends up in the hospital, but still...

the game is a beat by beat repeat of RE1. Police Station (Mansion) --> Basement --> Lab.
Sewers and guardhouse might be somewhat distinct. But, yeah. Part of why I always liked RE3 more is that you spend more time in Raccoon City proper, whereas RE2 falls back into the formula of RE1. A formula that works, true, but still a formula.
A male cop that gets powerful handguns and shotguns. A girl that gets the grenade launcher and other powerful, weird, experimental guns.
Dunno if that works though. RE2, Leon and Claire were more or less equal opportunity in what they could get, even if what they got was different (though I felt Leon was easier, since the crossbow was near useless, the grenade launcher was best used sparingly, and the zap gun only became useful in the remake). In RE1, IIRC, Chris and Jill get the same weapons, only Jill gets the grenade launcher while Chris doesn't.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Hawki said:
CoCage said:
You'll get your dark areas later in the game when you get to the clock tower and dead factory.
I'm actually wondering about that. Of all the gameplay we've seen so far, it's only ever been Jill on the streets, or in the power station. No RPD (sans Carlos maybe), no clock tower, no dead factory. Could be hiding it, and Carlos definitely ends up in the hospital, but still...

the game is a beat by beat repeat of RE1. Police Station (Mansion) --> Basement --> Lab.
Sewers and guardhouse might be somewhat distinct. But, yeah. Part of why I always liked RE3 more is that you spend more time in Raccoon City proper, whereas RE2 falls back into the formula of RE1. A formula that works, true, but still a formula.
A male cop that gets powerful handguns and shotguns. A girl that gets the grenade launcher and other powerful, weird, experimental guns.
Dunno if that works though. RE2, Leon and Claire were more or less equal opportunity in what they could get, even if what they got was different (though I felt Leon was easier, since the crossbow was near useless, the grenade launcher was best used sparingly, and the zap gun only became useful in the remake). In RE1, IIRC, Chris and Jill get the same weapons, only Jill gets the grenade launcher while Chris doesn't.
I'm glad they are not spoiling anything. Makes things more fun and interesting. While there are some slight differences, it's mostly the same in terms of structure between RE1 & RE2. We both agree anyway. Funny enough, DMC1 has almost the same structure, just more supernatural. Castle (Mansion) --> Basement--> Forest/Woods --> Ship --> Castle (Altered & at Night) --> Underworld (Lab). The Marionettes are zombies, the Blades are Hunters, and the Nobodies are Chimeras. DMC1 was originally supposed to be RE4, so that makes sense.

I know Chris/Jill mostly get the same weapons, but I was just making a point. The grenade launcher, you get a lot of ammo for it in original RE2. Whether it be the standard, flame, or acid rounds. You could get at least 30 or more rounds a quarter way in to either of Claire's scenarios. In the remake, her grenade rounds are harder to manage. The fact that there's only two types of grenade rounds, make things more difficult. All you get are flame and acid. The flame rounds you have to find and use sparingly. The acid rounds you have to make with make with standard (reg or large) gunpowder and white gunpowder. Hopefully in RE3Remake, they bring back the ice rounds for Jill, so she can have three types.