Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 are Making Their Way to PS4 and Xbox One

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 are Making Their Way to PS4 and Xbox One

The games will release in reverse order, starting March 29.

The Resident Evil franchise will be celebrating its 20th anniversary in March, and in celebration of that Resident Evil 4, 5, and 6 will be playable on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, with releases coming throughout the year.

"In March 1996, the world was introduced to the first Resident Evil game, which helped shape survival horror as we know it and has since brought you some of the most loved games of all time," reads the description on the announcement trailer. "You've been able to play through the origins stories that started everything with the recent releases of Resident Evil and Resident Evil 0, and we've confirmed that a remake of Resident Evil 2 is on the way. Since then, the series and story have evolved to amp up the action and introduce new epic gaming moments with Resident Evil 4, 5 and 6."

All three games will be playable on PS4 and Xbox One, for $19.99 each. Weirdly, the release schedule starts with 6 and works its way backwards, with Resident Evil 6 available March 29, Resident Evil 5 coming this Summer, and Resident Evil 4 releasing some time in the Fall. Is this a countdown to something? Did someone mess up the scheduling? Discuss.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
So one good game and two wastes of time if public opinion is anything to go by?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Making me wait till Fall for Resident Evil 4? You dicks.

Also, running out of Resident Evil games to properly port over to current gen consoles, Capcom -- Might wanna actually make one again. A good one this time, please.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Capcom really are seeing how long they can hold off putting any work into creating a new game. I don't think there has been any other publisher/developer in my memory of gaming this intent on shamelessly rehashing old guff for a quick buck and minimal effort. Has all their creative staff just abandoned them for greater heights, leaving only a few programmers and a dyslexic monkey with a rifle and a bag o' poo pellets? Bills need paying, monkey needs entertaining and possibly feeding.

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I wish they take a note from Tomb Raider and give me an "open" city game where I play as Jill running through Raccoon City while the Nemesis and Wolfpack Unit hunts me down...

anyways I guess I'll play RE4... again T__T everytime I say I won't buy this game another time and everytime I buy it again

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Is this really needed? (Asl ono I'm not asking for a next gen Resi 1-3 either.)

Still I guess we will have a new gen footage or Christ punching that rock!

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
OK you would not find a more Hardcore Resident Evil fan than me.

I love the Survival Horror RE games, 0,1,2,3,Code Veronica, and Outbreak files 1 and 2.

I at one time disowned my copy of RE 4,5, and 6.

I hated them for what the represent.

But as time when on I grew warm to them.

RE 5 and 6 are not BAD games, not by a long shot.

At least as fun action games they work.

And come on you bash on RE 5 for its stop and aim style of gameplay yet you are still willing to play Resident Evil 4?

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Lizzy Finnegan said:
All three games will be playable on PS4 and Xbox One, for $19.99 each. Weirdly, the release schedule starts with 6 and works its way backwards, with Resident Evil 6 available March 29, Resident Evil 5 coming this Summer, and Resident Evil 4 releasing some time in the Fall. Is this a countdown to something? Did someone mess up the scheduling? Discuss.
They're releasing them in order of quality. Shit, less shit, awesomesauce.

SirSullymore

Mar 26, 2009
After the Wii version of RE4 I can't go back. Really loved the way the motion controls worked in that game.

Adam3s

Jul 17, 2014
Wait are these remasters or just re-release?

Since Xbox One has backwards compatibility this just sounds like a complete money grab to me. All three games could already be out on Xbox with Microsoft willing to do the leg work to get them working.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
erttheking said:
So one good game and two wastes of time if public opinion is anything to go by?
Personally I got a lot of mileage out of RE5, particularly if you play co-op. The problem is it followed RE4, widely regarded as a really good game. Couldn't tell you about 6 though, never got round to that one myself.

OT: why the hell are they releasing them in reverse order?! I don't even... what?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
Well, I look forward next month when The Escapist gives Resident Evil the same frothing, masturbatory tributes that they've been giving to Pokemon and Zelda. No? Only slobbering over Nintendo? Ah, alright then.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
They're going to remake 6, watch nobody buy it, then cancel 4 and 5, because they are experts on how-to-business. I still don't understand how they keep surviving.

x EvilErmine x

Cake or death?!
Apr 5, 2010
Eh, I might pick up 4 when it comes out but i really couldn't care less about 5 & 6.

Also the reason for the reverse order probably has something to do with the age of the games, I'm no expert but I'd imagine that it's more difficult to patch up the older code to work with the new consoles or something like that so they'll start with the newest game and then work back form there.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Richard Gozin-Yu said:
I sort of pity people who can't enjoy a game, then move on to new games. Don't mistake me, I love a good remake, but this is the third or fourth iteration isn't it?
The thing is, there's 14 year old kid out there whose never played RE4. He doesn't own a gamecube, or a ps2, or a steam account. HD re-releases can let new people experience old classics. They keep older games alive. So I'm fine with this.

The problem is Capcom's inability to do anything new, and their dogged resistance to make a classic RE game, while simultaneously cashing in on classic RE games. There's clearly an audience, Capcom, give us a decent survival horror game.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Lizzy Finnegan said:
They're releasing them in order of quality. Shit, less shit, awesomesauce.
Posting something similar to this, but with a theory to go with it. Was surprised to actually have someone else post this so soon into the thread. Anywhore.

I expect Capcom is releasing the games in this order to gauge interest, but not in the way one might expect. Release Resident Evil 6 and record how well the game sells or doesn't sell. Release Resident Evil 5 and record sales figures for it as well. Release Resident Evil 4 and take note of sales figures.

At the end of that Capcom will compare sales figures from all the re-releases it's done, including 0 and Resident Evil.

I'm guessing they want to see which game style sells more. Is it the older tank control puzzle style games that fans want? Or is it the action sequences from Resident Evil 6 that is craved by the fans?

Not really much of a theory I'll admit, but it would make sense in how they're releasing the games from six to four.

I still have my old Gamecube Resident Evil games, 0 through 4 and still play them every other year and love them to death. I only pop in Resident Evil 5 every other couple of years and since I finished Resident Evil 6, I haven't touched it. What I'm trying to say is that after buying Resident Evil 4 for the Xbox 360, I don't have any plans on buying any of these three again.

/blog

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I wonder if they are going to release updated versions on the PC. Eh, to be honest, I'm disappointed the Capcom is going out of it's way to constantly release the same games again and again. I know it's risky to make new games, but it's completely ridiculous to just constantly devote resources to micro-updates of games like they do all the time. For RE4, this is the.... 4th release of the game I think. And they not too long ago released an HD version on the PS3 and 360. Are they actually offering any kind of improvements at this point?

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Congratulations on getting RE4, current gen console owners. As far as the other titles go, no, not on console. The only reason they're worth playing is nude mods exist and you need PC for that.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Resident Evil 4 is a timeless classic. It should be on as many systems as possible so I'm glad that console owners are getting it on their system of choice. I still have it installed on my PC. Might do a playthrough soon. I've been meaning to go back to some of the classics.

Baresark said:
I wonder if they are going to release updated versions on the PC.
They did that already. The RE4 re-release from 2012 (I think?) works flawlessly on PC. I wouldn't be surprised if the PS4/Xbone version ends up being the PC port.