Resident Evil 5 Demo Discussion Topic

GreenDevilJF

Dec 9, 2008
I personally thought that RE4 was the only good resident evil game in the series, but I can't see myself getting, or much less caring about this game.

Jul 23, 2008
The first part of the demo was rather promising. Relatively easy RE4 style controls. Surving against the tentacle-tongued hordes was fun. But playing the second part was just a little tedious for me.

Not my thing, i think.

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
shadow skill said:
Just think of RE4 when someone talks about the shittines of most southpaw setups in console games. The rage you probably felt at re4 is the rage I and many other lefties feel in many of these shooters that want you to break your thumbs to play them.
I kind of liked the Resi 4 controls after I got used to them...

soulasylum85

Dec 26, 2008
i really dont see what everyone is complaining about. i thought it was great. ive been a fan of the series since the first game and i think it keeps getting better and better (at least the numbered entries.... we wont talk about the spin offs). i cant wait to see the finished product.

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
It was fun to play, but if anything ill just go play RE 4 again. Enjoyed it much more than the demo of 5 for some reason. Ill pick up RE 5 eventually whenever price goes down.

wewontdie11

May 28, 2008
Well I downloaded it and loved it. It's a rarity in a game when you are armed with a handgun, shotgun and vast array of healing utensils and still feel challenged and quite helpless. It's not so much a horror anymore as it really stopped being scary at about RE3, but the survival element is still very much alive and kicking (or punching if you're Chris). The only thing I'd pull the demo up on is the controls feeling a little stodgy and slow. The whole running/turning/aiming thing is very unintuitive, but I suppose that adds to the feeling of helplessness in the gameplay a little.

Also judging by one of the trailers Wesker has apparently turned into Neo. And he's always been one of my favourite baddies so I look forward to that face-off.

I'll be buying this baby A.S.A.P.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
I absolutely hated it! The controls were clunky, it was too hard, and not being able to move while shooting sucks.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
mattttherman3 said:
I downloaded it, played it, hated it, I'm sorry but this game isn't for me, what did it was you can't move while shooting, melee does little(your punch does better than the knife), and using both trigers to fire a wepon is bullshit, any game with guns should have hip fire and this one does not.
Well it should be noted that this is the first Resident Evil game I have tried.

Turtleboy1017

Likes Turtles
Nov 16, 2008
I liked it, but I would like it even more if they stopped calling it a Survival Horror, renamed it to Resident Evil 4: Part 2 Horror in Africa, and made it so that ammo wasn't lying around like pennies. I played the original RE4 and I liked it... that being said I also played RE 1,2, and 3 and believed those were survival horrors. This isn't a survival horror, its a beat'em up with guns... but hey, it is pretty damn fun.

Stylish_Robot

Dec 29, 2008
I don't know why everyone's complaining about the Sheva AI. I played through both sections single player and she never became an issue; sure she used barrels instead of saving em for the big bosses but she wasn't a burden.

Newbies online however were and they frequently stole all the ammo, leaving me with nothing than we die or they get the head chainsawed off and they blame me for it. Least I found the occasional smart person.

Halo Fanboy

Nov 2, 2008
I want to know what basis people can call the game not a survival horror. Is it because you don't feel scared? Surely a game's genre can be judged on less subjective parameters than that.

On an unrelated note, does the game support local multiplayer?

Mar 26, 2008
Stylish_Robot said:
I don't know why everyone's complaining about the Sheva AI. I played through both sections single player and she never became an issue; sure she used barrels instead of saving em for the big bosses but she wasn't a burden.
Same here, I thought she was more helpful than most other CPU controlled allies in games. She didn't get in the way of my shots and could actually fend for herself.

RE5 feels like a logical extension of RE4, just a lot prettier. Given I loved RE4, I really enjoyed the RE5 demo. It just lacks a little in the originality department.

Landshark

Mar 5, 2004
Halo Fanboy said:
I want to know what basis people can call the game not a survival horror. Is it because you don't feel scared? Surely a game's genre can be judged on less subjective parameters than that.

On an unrelated note, does the game support local multiplayer?
Yep, there is a split-screen coop option (which I'm very very very happy about! Thank you for split-screen coop!!!!), although I haven't tried it yet myself.

Vicarious

Jan 23, 2009
Not being able to move and shoot is one thing, but having to stay in one place to knife is completely retarded.

Eipok Kruden

Aug 29, 2008
kanada514 said:
pieeater911 said:
It is pretty much exactly the same as RE4, except the graphics are prettier, your partner can actually use a gun, when you open your attache case it no longer pauses the game, and you're killing infected Africans instead of infected Spaniards.

Oh yeah, and you still can't move whilst using a gun. I was really hoping they'd let you do that in this one, but alas, they did not.
If you press a trigger, it goes into shooting mode. The left analog then controls your aim, thus, it cannot also control your movements. The right analog is the camera. Anyway, you wouldn`t want to move with the right analog.
Basically, that is why you can't shoot and walk at the same time.
Have you ever played any action game other than RE4? You move with the left analog stick and control camera and aiming with the right analog stick. That way, you can move and shoot at the same time.

shadow skill

Oct 12, 2007
Strafe Mcgee said:
shadow skill said:
Just think of RE4 when someone talks about the shittines of most southpaw setups in console games. The rage you probably felt at re4 is the rage I and many other lefties feel in many of these shooters that want you to break your thumbs to play them.
I kind of liked the Resi 4 controls after I got used to them...
I actually use the RE4 controls for the RE5 demo and they generally work well it's just that everything else about the game conspires against you. I was actually kind of looking forward to this game, I think it's a real shame it is setup the way it is.

TheTemby

May 29, 2008
Personally the only highlight of the demo was the graphics, the game speed is slow, the characters move like retarded tanks, the difficulty is over the top... its a dissapointment, with the hype surronding it that its going to be horror yet action, i only feel frustration

DethFan666

Dec 18, 2008
It's basically an improved and modernized version of Re4. In the same way the older ones were so similar. I will still buy it and enjoy it.

Alleged_Alec

Sep 2, 2008
Keep in mind while reading this, that this is the first time I've ever played this series.

I didn't like it very much, apart from the co-op mode. There were a few nice things as well though: the game was challenging and over fun to play. However, as has been said before, I hated the not being able to move while aiming part. Not only that, but the only real difficulty I encountered was not having enough ammo.

And my knowledge about the series may be a bit off, but isn't it true that severe head/neck trauma was enough to disable the zombies? And if that's true, why are three rounds of an automatic weapon to the head not seen as severe head trauma?

EDIT: If you really want a survival horror game with co-op mode, go for L4D.