Resident Evil 6 Is Capcom's Biggest Game Yet

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Resident Evil 6 Is Capcom's Biggest Game Yet

[video=5256 width=350]​

With a development team of over 600 people, Resident Evil 6 is a pretty sizable investment on Capcom's part.

Capcom made big news last week when it officially announced <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-6-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXLQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327532927&sr=8-1>Resident Evil 6 with this trailer. It also promised that the game would deliver the "ultimate horror experience." This is probably a good thing to strive for, since the company just revealed the game is its biggest undertaking ever.

Over at the Capcom Unity blog, Executive Producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi revealed that more than 600 people are currently working on Resident Evil 6. That includes 150 people at Capcom's Japan headquarters. Before this, Capcom's biggest title was the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109199-Capcoms-Newly-Announced-RPG-Dragons-Dogma-Looks-Purty>recently-revealed Dragon's Dogma.

Capcom's undoubtedly got a lot riding on this new installment in the Resident Evil series, hopefully it proves worth all this effort. Resident Evil 6 is due out in November for both PS3 and 360.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-01-25-resident-evil-6-is-capcoms-biggest-ever-production>Eurogamer

80Maxwell08

Jul 14, 2010
Um wasn't the large developement teams at Capcom one of the reasons Keiji Inafune left Capcom? Obviously him leaving certainly hasn't made anyone there think. Especially with them thinking 600 people for one game is even remotely cost effective over splitting them into way more smaller teams to make a ton more games.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, considering the trailer showed that theres going to be at least 3 protagonists each with thier own story, i can assume Capcom is basically making 3 or more Resident Evil games with an intertwining story between them.

For better or for worse this should be interesting to watch. Personally i hope they dont fuck it up.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
This is good news. The game that's hyped me enough into wanting to buy the game is the biggest endeavour from Capcom. I don't usually get this interested from trailers but I have no games I want to buy this year >.>.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Ouch, that's pretty big for certain. As long as the final product is not cripled by the humongous number of people, I don't see any problem with it.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
80Maxwell08 said:
Um wasn't the large developement teams at Capcom one of the reasons Keiji Inafune left Capcom? Obviously him leaving certainly hasn't made anyone there think. Especially with them thinking 600 people for one game is even remotely cost effective over splitting them into way more smaller teams to make a ton more games.
My assumption is that they're split into 4-ish teams. One for Leon's story, one for Chris, one for Wesker(?), and one for Helena.

At the very least, Leon, Chris, and Wesker(?) seem to have separate gameplay mechanics for their stories.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I want to say something overly cynical, negative and scathing here, but I'm having trouble summoning up the effort to care.

Incidentally, anyone referring to any Resident Evil game as "horror" needs to spend some quality time with a dictionary.

Eh, that's all I got. Sorry folks.

LilithSlave

Sep 1, 2011
Cancelled Megaman Legends 3.

Ridiculous budget for Resident Evil.

Sigh. Not happy. Not happy with this at all.

Domehammer

Jun 17, 2011
Six hundred people? Longest credits ever for a game possibly? Well done, there better be achievement for watching all of credits. I can see they haven't changed the infamous giraffe and lady icon. Once it has been seen it can't be unseen.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
ForgottenPr0digy said:
Operation: raccoon city
Revelations
Resident Evil 6

Capcom is hoping all of these games do well and make some serious cash money. I'm interested in raccoon city and re6
Not really related, but Revelation's lip syncing is hilariously awful. On the other hand, it adds to the campy feel that most Resident Evil games have, so eh.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I have the distinct foreboding that they will play this horribly safe and it will be as overwhelming mediocre as re5 was.

What is the point of having 600 workers if they are just going to half ass it on a major scale. I think we are old enough to admit RE4 was only as good as it was because it finally made the game more playable than the horrors before it. Controls which by no means made it a smooth combat survival horror game, but passable after years of the old school re4 controls.

They need to be taking the next logical steps with deeper weapon upgrades, some much needed randomization in the levels gameplay and overall accepting that it needs to wow an audience who doesn't live in a bubble and will not be impressed by once more same as before. They can not capture 4s glory because we can only breath the sweet air of decent controls once, now its time to make it shine.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
I want my limited ammunition, my puzzles, and my stunning architectural design back...and I want it now!

Grrr.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Leon...ugh.

Still, I love how huge the RE games have gotten worldwide (in-game). I'm actually quite surprised that the entire world isn't similar to Land of the Dead by now. Unless the series is still only a year or two after Racoon City (Which I'm sure it's long after).

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Reaper195 said:
Leon...ugh.

Still, I love how huge the RE games have gotten worldwide (in-game). I'm actually quite surprised that the entire world isn't similar to Land of the Dead by now. Unless the series is still only a year or two after Racoon City (Which I'm sure it's long after).
Well, the largest outbreak in Resident Evil was Raccoon City...which was nuked. All of the other games have been minor outbreaks. (CV was an isolated research station/isolated prison island, 4 was a small European village, 5 was a small African village, etc) The reason that the BSAA was formed was because somehow, BOWs ended up on the black market and terrorist elements picked them up.

The world at large is fine, but there are some terror attacks involving BOWs. Nothing world shattering yet.

TheDooD

Dec 23, 2010
XT inc said:
I have the distinct foreboding that they will play this horribly safe and it will be as overwhelming mediocre as re5 was.

What is the point of having 600 workers if they are just going to half ass it on a major scale. I think we are old enough to admit RE4 was only as good as it was because it finally made the game more playable than the horrors before it. Controls which by no means made it a smooth combat survival horror game, but passable after years of the old school re4 controls.

They need to be taking the next logical steps with deeper weapon upgrades, some much needed randomization in the levels gameplay and overall accepting that it needs to wow an audience who doesn't live in a bubble and will not be impressed by once more same as before. They can not capture 4s glory because we can only breath the sweet air of decent controls once, now its time to make it shine.
Like the modern Capcom is gonna learn they lost Clover which was their best Team(not including the CPS 1-3 sound team they're legendary) and pretty much THE person that put Capcom on the map. These are the mooks that think some of the ideas in SFxT are good. Then they broke two of their most famous fighting series by pretty much lacking common knowledge of how to balance thing. Also don't forget they have THREE RE games coming out in this year.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
LilithSlave said:
Cancelled Megaman Legends 3.

Ridiculous budget for Resident Evil.

Sigh. Not happy. Not happy with this at all.
I was trying to come up with a witty, well-elaborated kind of response towards this...but you already did more than that with that comment. *sigh* Oh, MML3...how I wish you were here.

Anyway, I STILL wanna play the game out of curiosity and my love for the original RE games, but Capcom's latest blunders have not gone unnoticed. Capcom is going downhill. So I would like to see if this game is either going to dig that grave deeper or give them about an hour's worth of fresh air before sinking back in.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
Just...please don't make Chris's sections feel like Gears of War. Resident Evil 5 was bad enough. Get more Leon and more awesome-but-not-in-your-face, unlike Chris Redfield (in RE5).

Also, 600 people? That means that the budget for the team ALONE is 34 MILLION dollars. God damn...

(Assuming all are Japanese developers making the average wage seen here: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/27758/Report_Japanese_Developer_Salaries_Average_57590.php)

So, yeah, this game could be the best zombie game in a decade. Or it could be a flop like RE5. I really hope that the latter isn't the case. Bring back survival horror and non-retarded inventories/AI's, Capcom!

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
It seems that after leaping off the deck of the H.M.S. Looney with Wesker the One Winged Angel and all that "I'm a god 'cause I've got my hands on a doomsday bio-weapon" nonsense, the makers of Resident Evil spotted Valve drive by on his private yacht, sipping cognac while a pair of Chinese twins lick marshmallow fluff off his carefully shaved bullocks, chuckling to himself as the Left-4-Dead series reminded the common folk that zombie apocalypses are about desperate survival against overwhelming odds and not Emperor Palpatine quipping Die Hard while his mutant penis unsubtly penetrates Spanish douche-bags.

Now Capcom is intent to take their tangled testicular torsion of a plot and wedge it into that painful vice-trap of nostalgia, only this time having the main characters pull death-defying Matrix-style combat moves so that when the inevitable burly monster that flat-out rips off the Tank from L4D shows up, Capcom can try to act smug as Leon single-handedly scissor-kicks the brute to death, simultaneously ruining any impact its monsters have as viable threats and coming off as completely pretentious.

Then Valve will release L4D3 with an 8 player co-op mode with innovative vehicle sections and a Half-Life quality story, and Capcom will retreat into his corner and try to get Master Chief into Capcom vs. Everyone 4 Ultimate Edition or whatever.

*Sigh* I rant, but I really don't want this game to suck. I enjoyed the original RE's and every once in a while I plug my Gamecube back in to play the REmake, and I have the first two RE games purchased on the Playstation Network. But RE5 took the weirdest parts of RE4 and had a greasy affair with thme in my bed, and now when it shows up flashing its cleavage at me I just feel repulsed. I'm not that shallow, Capcom. You're gonna have to do better than that.