Resident Evil 6 Returns to its Undead Roots

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Resident Evil 6 Returns to its Undead Roots

Las Plagas were a little too loco for Resident Evil fans.

For a series about zombies, the recent Resident Evil games have had an odd aversion to actually depicting the undead. Sure, there were mindless, shuffling almost-people, but they were parasites or ooze monsters, not the living dead. The upcoming sixth installment brings back the classic T-virus, leading to an outbreak of good old-fashioned brain eaters, and executive producer Hiroyuki Kobayashi knows why. The answer may not surprise you.

"We brought zombies back because they're popular," Kobayashi said with a laugh. "Everyone loves 'em, that's why we brought them back. Based on feedback from Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil 5, the fact that there weren't classic zombies in those games and people really wanted them. We tried to respond to the requests and put them in this game."

So, with old-school zombies making a return, does this mean it's time to bust out your strategies from the early Resident Evil games? Not quite, says Kobayashi. "We've tweaked them a bit so they aren't the same zombies you would expect."

"The zombies when you first see them, they shamble around slowly," explained producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi. "But, if they spot you or they get closer they break out into a sudden dash and try to grab you." This is a big change for the downright lethargic zombies of the original games - weaving through zombies to conserve ammo may not be an option. "Some of them will leap out at you," Hirabayashi warns. "For the most part, they are zombies, but they have bursts of energy here and there that give them a little extra oomph."

It seems the zombies' physical abilities aren't the only part of them that's gotten an upgrade, as zeds will be able to pick up weapons that they find in the world. Don't panic, though; it seems unlikely that you'll be running into any undead strike teams. "It's not that we decided zombies should use weapons per se," Hirabayashi continued. "It's just that we wanted to get across the feeling that these used to be people and people either picked up weapons when they were fighting or they used certain objects when they were alive. They have this instinctual ability to pick up these things and use them. It's not that they are purposely using weapons, it's in the back of their mind because they used to use weapons before they became zombies."

"There's another way you can interact with zombies that we haven't really shown yet. That's something when you're fighting zombies that will be a key component and it's something we'll show going forward."

It sounds like the team at Capcom is doing their best to keep their zombies from getting too stale, though it's this unrevealed detail that seems the most interesting. What do they have planned that could make vanilla zombies more interesting than the mutating Plagas or the vampiric Ooze? We'll probably find out soon, but if not, we'll figure it out the hard way when Resident Evil 6 infects consoles on October 2.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2012/07/26/why-capcom-brought-zombies-back-for-resident-evil-6/]

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Zombies should not pick up weapons.

They should try to grab and bite you.

And that's it.

And don't worry about not fighting strike teams. Chris' campaign still has plagas troopers shooting you up.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Easton Dark said:

And that's it.

And don't worry about not fighting strike teams. Chris' campaign still has plagas troopers shooting you up.
I dunno. It has to be done right. They should look like they know what it does, but can't quite figure out how to do it right, they should fire randomly and limply. It could be pretty cool if it's done like that.

However, we don't want them picking them up and suddenly turning into dirty harry. Definately not.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
Well, for the first time ever, I'm interested in playing it.

HOLY SHIT YOU KNOW WHAT?

I'm going to go fire up resident evil 2. There we have it.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Doclector said:
Easton Dark said:

And that's it.

I dunno. It has to be done right. They should look like they know what it does, but can't quite figure out how to do it right, they should fire randomly and limply. It could be pretty cool if it's done like that.

However, we don't want them picking them up and suddenly turning into dirty harry. Definately not.
They're mindless animals, they should have no thought process like "This will hurt the guy more than my finger nails and teeth". They're dumber than dogs and dogs don't stop to think that a hammer would be better than biting this guy's balls.

Maybe if they died and zombified with the tool in their hand, after using it to defend themselves to the end. But they shouldn't pick stuff up to use. And they definitely shouldn't throw them.

You know the enemy that pissed me off the most in RE4? Those bastards that throw scythes at you!

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Remember guys, there's still the fact that we'll be seeing anti-zombie kung fu action and typical, cover-based third person shooting action. The first gameplay videos already convinced me that this game will be anything but a return to it's roots.

Damn shame too. I was thinking of getting into the Resident Evil series with this game. Might just have to pick up 4 for my GameCube then.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Too bad that it's goddamn DULL
(Going from Demo impressions)
I dunno how they did it. None of the 3 playable campaign levels even came close to being half as exciting as RE5, which wasn't as good as RE4. I am disappointed, Capcom.

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I'd like to see smarter "zombies", and I like that they can pick up weapons and use them based off of remnants of humanity that they have. These have never been traditional zombies. After all it was only a problem with the original T-Virus that made it so most of the people infected were "zombies" and not Tyrants. That could have easily changed since then.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I just had a thought... Has anyone else noticed. That for all of roughly 15 days... there will be precisely the same number of Resident Evil games... as there are Resident Evil live action films?

Strange, no?

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
viranimus said:
I just had a thought... Has anyone else noticed. That for all of roughly 15 days... there will be precisely the same number of Resident Evil games... as there are Resident Evil live action films?

Strange, no?
Are you sure you know how many Resident Evil games there actually are? Theres 9 main-series games and 11 accountable spinoffs.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
My apologies. I should have been more concise and specified Numbered installment games. Not spin offs and psuedo spin offs.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
cursedseishi said:
So... wait...

You don't have Las Plagas anymore, but you do have zombies, zombies that act EXACTLY like Las Plagas-infected individuals.
Not really, Las Plagas victims can climb ladders, run (although Crimson Heads can run) and express intelligence (communication and co-operation with others alike). Unlike zombies where they just walk and eat to the nearest visible fresh flesh.

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
cursedseishi said:
So... wait...

You don't have Las Plagas anymore, but you do have zombies, zombies that act EXACTLY like Las Plagas-infected individuals.

Yeah, I can totally see how they took fan complaints to heart. A zombie isn't scary because its holding a pipe, a zombie is scary because you know there is ten more of them for each one you kill, and they are all right in the vicinity.
It also doesn't explain the "Soldiers" you fight for the Chris Redfield route either. You know, the ones who also act just like Las-plagas, except have rifles on top of mutating uber-forms.

Welcome to the new age of Capcom, wherein complaints are addressed superficially!
You stole the exact words I was going to say. Well played sir... well played.
Oh and for anyone as "done with Capcom" as I am, take a look at Resident Evil 2.5, there's currently a project floating around (has it's own YouTube channel) to recreate and release it. Looks pretty awesome too, definitely better than giraffe fucking six..

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Hey Capcom....stop trying to make RE like Lost Planet and make a full Zelda like Mega man game already you cheap wankers!

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Who's betting that this 'another way you can interact with zombies that we haven't really shown yet' is either

A) Quicktime event kills

B) Meatshields?