Resident Evil 6 Returns to its Undead Roots

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I'm actually just getting into the series (finished RE1 yesterday, going to pick up RE2 sometime soon), but so far RE6 actually sounds neat.
Then again, I know little to nothing about it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Actually, the "ooze monsters" were also parasites, but instead of trying to lop your head off, they would opt to suck your organs out mouth to neck by popping out of the victim's head like some sort of demented pez dispenser, and were pretty much adapted to feeding directly from its prey while growing in size to match the host's original mass. This is in contrast to the plagas which basically hid in their hosts while manipulating the body to sustain themselves, and generally weren't meant to survive once exposed.

It was unclear how some of these things were still talking, or had anything remaining of their brains given their altered body structure...also they had this strange ability to determine whether or not a gun was aimed at them, and then alter their gait or posture as to avoid being shot in the head if you took too long to aim.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Easton Dark said:
Zombies should not pick up weapons.

They should try to grab and bite you.

And that's it.

And don't worry about not fighting strike teams. Chris' campaign still has plagas troopers shooting you up.
Which zombies exactly?
There were so many zombie types since Night of the Living Dead that it's hard to keep track.
Even in Romero's trilogy, they were getting smarter.
Hell, the first zombie in Night used a brick to smash the window open.
Zombies are whatever the author desires them to be.
It's a work of fiction, it doesn't need to follow specific unchangeable rules.

Oh, and speaking of zombies using guns:

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
HardkorSB said:
It's a work of fiction, it doesn't need to follow specific unchangeable rules.
Even when Resident Evil used to follow those specific, unchangeble rules.

Resident Evil started with shamblers. If they know people liked their zombies, bring back the shamblers. Don't fucking tell me what zombies are or aren't.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
HardkorSB said:
Easton Dark said:
Don't fucking tell me what zombies are or aren't.
You mean, don't do this?

Easton Dark said:

And that's it.
OK, I won't.
Thank you, now you can discuss Resident Evil zombies. Not every zombie from anything. You know, have it relate to the thread.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Easton Dark said:
HardkorSB said:
Easton Dark said:
Don't fucking tell me what zombies are or aren't.
You mean, don't do this?

Easton Dark said:

And that's it.
OK, I won't.
Thank you, now you can discuss Resident Evil zombies. Not every zombie from anything. You know, have it relate to the thread.
But it does relate to the thread.
You said that zombies should be like this and that and I think that they should do what the authors want them to do.
Just like in movies zombies didn't stay the same, they shouldn't stay the same in games because they'll get boring and predictable.
I liked when they reinvented the series in RE4 and I liked that there were no more zombies. It was different and fresh. I also liked Las Plagas and the other monster designs in RE5 (I know it's bad to like the supposedly racist depiction of tribal warriors but honestly, they didn't bother me).
The "evolution" of zombies in RE remake was good as well.

I like when a game evolves with time. I don't want to fight the same enemies 5 games in a row and if I am fighting the same enemies, I expect them to change at least slightly from game to game.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I too want to see more Plagas.

I mean, if you want to shoot zombies, may I recommend every other game franchise on the planet? If it's not about zombies, it's got zombie DLC or zombie mods. I want to kill something else besides zombies and Russians.

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Sylocat said:
(I know it's bad to like the supposedly racist depiction of tribal warriors but honestly, they didn't bother me).

I expect them to change at least slightly from game to game.
I didn't see anything racist in RE5, so can't comment on that.

And I don't expect enemies to change. Especially when Capcom wants to return to the RE games that old veterans liked (low ammo, cramped hallways, mindless enemies).

Viruses are not intelligent, they shouldn't make the host use tools. I hope you get where I'm coming from. You can have changing enemies, but the zombies have no reason to. Lunging is reasonable, I can understand that one, but using weapons? Fuuuuuck no.

Sylocat said:
I want to kill something else besides zombies and Russians.
Resident Evil's kind of a zombie game staple though.

And is Krauser russian? I always thought he was.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
Easton Dark said:
Sylocat said:
I want to kill something else besides zombies and Russians.
Resident Evil's kind of a zombie game staple though.
And then they decided to take it in a different direction, and that different direction was awesome.

It's not like RE pioneered anything, either. Everything about the original RE was ripped off from other games and movies, most of which weren't even any good in the first place, and it shows in what can laughably be called the "writing" of the early games. If they want to do something different, good for them.

And is Krauser russian? I always thought he was.
I was referring to the enemies in CoD... it seems like every game these days is ripping off CoD or RE1, and I'm tired of it.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
There's a trailer for this before each Walking Dead episode that involves chest high walls, a punching match with several big things & some fighting on a glacier. No thanks.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
no shitty win LIVE, no regenerating health, rare or even no QTE, and i might give this game a chance.
but if it has LIVE, no deal. i dont care if its the best game of the decade. LIVE is a disease.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
ZippyDSMlee said:
Hey Capcom....stop trying to make RE like Lost Planet and make a full Zelda like Mega man game already you cheap wankers!
So... You basically want them to make Megaman Legends 3.

OT: The only thing I'm concerned about with RE6 is the ammo or lack thereof. I NEVER liked how there wasn't enough ammo to kill everything in the old games, or even enough for a good majority of the enemies. It meant that you had to run away so often that they might as well have admitted that they should have called the series Clocktower instead. It wasn't scary, it was annoying. I liked the fact that as long as you took your time and made every shot count, that in RE4 & RE5 you could kill everything you came across. I'm hoping that it's roughly the same deal here. However, the cramped hallways and such could help with the horror aspect RE4 & 5 lacked.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
immortalfrieza said:
ZippyDSMlee said:
Hey Capcom....stop trying to make RE like Lost Planet and make a full Zelda like Mega man game already you cheap wankers!
So... You basically want them to make Megaman Legends 3.

OT: The only thing I'm concerned about with RE6 is the ammo or lack thereof. I NEVER liked how there wasn't enough ammo to kill everything in the old games, or even enough for a good majority of the enemies. It meant that you had to run away so often that they might as well have admitted that they should have called the series Clocktower instead. It wasn't scary, it was annoying. I liked the fact that as long as you took your time and made every shot count, that in RE4 & RE5 you could kill everything you came across. I'm hoping that it's roughly the same deal here. However, the cramped hallways and such could help with the horror aspect RE4 & 5 lacked.

I like the mechanics in RE4 sept the inventory system.

Well it is the natural evaluation of mega man or the metroviana genre, loved Metroid Prime now just mix it and zelda without crappy writing that dose not piss on the characters and we are good to go!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
They did the ole switcheroo.

RE4-RE5: They aren't zombies, they just act like it!
RE6: They aren't whatever the hell those things where in the past games, they just act like it!

Yeah my RE6 demo will stay locked on my copy of Dragons Dogma and that's as close as the game will ever get to being played from me.

Gottesstrafe

Oct 23, 2010
Yeah, I gave up on the "scary" aspect during the demo once Leon picked up another hand gun and ran around akimbo style. That combined with the easier melees, and I feel more like I'm playing claustrophobic Left 4 Dead than anything else. Wait they did that, it was called RE: Outbreak... well at least you got broom spears then.