Resident Evil 6, Sherry Birkin and the Cure

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
IlikeLolis said:
Lengthy Labyrinth Levels Littered with Corpses.

No, but in all seriousness; Who here in the Escapist Forums would like to see Sherry Birkin risking life and limb in the newest installment of Biohazard with little more than a combat knife, Her (Inherently Brilliant) intellect, and a Baretta she probably inherited from Claire?

I think the FPS bullshit needs to stop, and who better than a young blonde kid who nearly got raped by her Zombified G-virus Father to show us the way to a new and better Resident Evil.

PS: Capcom won't care anyway so Might as well say what you want.
1) Redident Evil 4 was the best in the series. More please.
2) No one liked Sherry Burkin.
3) NO ONE LIKED SHERRY BURKIN.
4) Resident Evil stopped being about the T-Virus a while ago.
5) Resident Evil has always been more about action than 'survival horror.' Yes, it coined the phrase, but other games since then have become much better horror franchises, while RE embraced its campy action nature, which has lead to better RE gameplay.

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Billy died in the Raccoon City Forest shortly after the end of Zero.
Err, we have no confirmation of that. The only thing we have is Rebecca's report from the N64 RE2, but that was just covering for Billy. She even says at the end of Zero that she'd report him as dead, which is why she took his dog tags.

So offically, all we know is he walked into the forest and was never heard from again. Wether that's because he died or because he went to ground we don't know.

Diablo2000 said:
The source it's "random stuff that I read on wikipedia"... I think it was while I was reading about some of the books, but I don't know if they are considerate cannon to the franchise. It's a mess... Better not to give much though.
The books are considered non-canon, as they condritict the games in many ways.

Anyway, Rebecca is still alive, but presumably retired.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
It'll be quite interesting to see Sherry Birkin all grown up and badass and, honestly, I've never thought about that before >.>'

Still, nobody has ben more badass than Billy (except Leon of course) and I'd like to see him return, and maybe Rebecca too, just for nostalgia sake.

As for gameplay... I really don't know at this point, as much as I loved 4 and 5, the "behind the shoulder" camera is still great, but I'd like to see the traditional gameplay return, lots of stupid puzzles and less enemies, but more dangerous. And of course, lots of good scares.

I want the series to be scary again. They need to put back the "Horror" in Survival horror.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
It'll be quite interesting to see Sherry Birkin all grown up and badass and, honestly, I've never thought about that before >.>'

Still, nobody has ben more badass than Billy (except Leon of course) and I'd like to see him return, and maybe Rebecca too, just for nostalgia sake.

As for gameplay... I really don't know at this point, as much as I loved 4 and 5, the "behind the shoulder" camera is still great, but I'd like to see the traditional gameplay return, lots of stupid puzzles and less enemies, but more dangerous. And of course, lots of good scares.

I want the series to be scary again. They need to put back the "Horror" in Survival horror.
Resident Evil was never Survival Horror. MAYBE RE1. But certainly not RE2+.

RE2 had some kind of Battle Mode, as I recall, where you had to kill 100 BOWs. Also, by starting on a lower difficulty, you started with a machinegun that had infinite ammo. ALSO ALSO, it gave you more than enough ammo to kill everything in the game and then some even on the hardest difficulty.

None of that screams 'Survival Horror' to me.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
Well, maybe it wasn't scary for you, but last time I checked, 2 and 3 had a couple of good scares, to not spoil anything, in 2 there are a couple of moments that are tense building, just waiting for something to jump out and also in 3, the first time I finished it, Nemesis was quite scary and the single thought that he was chasing me and he could get pretty much anywhere to kill me was certainly scary.

Also, in the Cube REmake, they did intensify the suspense with the Crimson Heads and other nasties. So, yeah, the series used to be scary. Also, I scare myself pretty easily >.>'

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
SupahGamuh said:
Kopikatsu said:
Well, maybe it wasn't scary for you, but last time I checked, 2 and 3 had a couple of good scares, to not spoil anything, in 2 there are a couple of moments that are tense building, just waiting for something to jump out and also in 3, the first time I finished it, Nemesis was quite scary and the single thought that he was chasing me and he could get pretty much anywhere to kill me was certainly scary.

Also, in the Cube REmake, they did intensify the suspense with the Crimson Heads and other nasties. So, yeah, the series used to be scary. Also, I scare myself pretty easily >.>'
Yes, but scary isn't the same as survival horror. Which was my point.

Something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent...now that's survival horror. But Resident Evil? Never happened.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
I think I see where are you going. Well, back when the game was released, it was pretty much a novelty, I know that other games got the "Survival Horror" genre word by word, especially Amnesia, heck, I still can't get myself to finish that game, but belive it or not, they were survival horror games.

The first one is the best example of the context, maybe it wasn't that much of SH with 2, 3 and the others, but they shared a common trait. You didn't have a lot of space in your inventory, so you couldn't carry more than 3 or 4 weapons at most, same with ammunition and herbs/sprays, so, they were pretty scarce and the BOWs were pretty hard to kill, making you to decide wether to face them or just run away.

Admitedly, that was if you chose Hard difficulty and I know, first hand, how easy RE 2 and 3 can be in Rookie (Dual Shock edition, it was a fancy name for Super Easy) and Normal mode.

So yeah, by today's standards, they may be old and aren't much of "survival horror" today as they were back then, especially if we compare them to Amnesia, wich is night and day (or dark?).

So yeah, they were Survival Horror, in a different context compared to Amnesia (wich I admit, first hand, is WAY scarier) and definitively scarier than both Dead Space games, wich they dare to call them "Survival Horror".

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
Shadow-Phoenix said:
The game would be nice if it actually had T-Virus zombies again instead of some mind control bullshit.
It was always about mind control bullshit. The T-virus was to create a super soldier(Tyrant) that can be controlled. Las Plagas just moved the mind control to a perfected stage.

Manji187

Jan 29, 2009
Kopikatsu said:
Manji187 said:
Hey yeah...what happened to Sherry Birkin? Also; what happened to Barry Burton, Rebecca Chambers, Billy Coen, Ada Wong, Carlos Oliveira....and HUNK.

Dang...if Capcom can't cook up a decent story with the main characters and the abovementioned (especially Sherry) then they need to call it quits and sell the rights to the franchise.
Sherry Birkin is, as I said, in a Government facility.

Burton was sent to rescue Leon on one of his missions and, Resident Evil being Resident Evil, it turns into a giant clusterfuck and everyone dies besides Barry, Leon, and a young girl named Lucia (Who was a survivor of the incident). After it's over, Barry adopts Lucia and goes to be a father or whatever.

Rebecca wrote an official report on what happened in Raccoon City and then 'retired'. (She basically re-integrated back into society and stayed away from anything dealing with the zombies/BOWs)

Billy died in the Raccoon City Forest shortly after the end of Zero.

Ada...no idea. A few files in RE5 mentioned that she was still working for Wesker, but Wesker is dead now. So...

Carlos is an unknown as well. Never mentioned again after 3.
Is Billy really dead? Because the RE wiki notes his status as "unknown". Didn't Rebecca lie in the report or something? I don't know...haven't finished RE0.

Still...take Sherry, Ada, Leon and Claire and you've got yourself a story.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
sheic99 said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
The game would be nice if it actually had T-Virus zombies again instead of some mind control bullshit.
It was always about mind control bullshit. The T-virus was to create a super soldier(Tyrant) that can be controlled. Las Plagas just moved the mind control to a perfected stage.
That was the G-Virus that creates the Tyrant as the T-Virus merely infected people and turned them into "mindless ravenous zombies" and it has always been a "zombie game" not a "mind control game".

Also i hated Resi 4 and only liked 5 because of Wesker.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
GigaHz said:
Well damn.

Anyone else disappointed by the absence of The Cure in this thread?
yes, yes very much.

and the cure doing a soundtrack for a survival horror would be fun.

MisterMaster

May 27, 2011
Unless they advance the storyline by a decade or two, there's no way I'm gonna be playing Sherry as a 17 year old amazon.

And about the gameplay style - RE4 changed the way the series is played. It turned it into an arcade corridor shooter where you get points for killing enemies and then you can redeem those points for upgrades and other resources. The more enemies you kill, the more enemies you could kill. I never thought I'd see an RE game that actually encouraged to the player to kill enemies.

Basically it turned RE away from what it used to be - a slow paced survival horror game centered around a huge game hub which revolved around backtracking and exploring. Lets also not forget the puzzles.

RE Revelations is taking a step into the right direction again, however I still hate the over the shoulder view.

dickywebster

Jul 11, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
dickywebster said:
Well RE6 will be the first one you can move and shoot, apparently.
Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City will let you run and gun.

As did the Outbreak games.
Only knew about the outbreak ones vaguely, been a while since i played them. While i was only making a point about claimed capcom have made about the game thats ive come across, i was also kinda drunk at that point, but thanks for pointing me in the right diresction none the less :D