Resident Evil 8 - 4 X 2 = A village

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
So thanks to a nice unexpected check from Uncle Sam, i got to get my hands on Resident Evil 8 before I got under the knife this week. And i played it. I played a lot of it.

Resident Evil 8 is good, but at the same time it's also fairly lackluster which has left me in a strange spot when it comes to giving my impressions of the game. Because on one hand Resident Evil 8 is good because it's Resident Evil 4 and RE4 was good and therefore that makes RE8 good? But the problem is that RE8 is TOO much like RE4 to the point that it almost hits the same beats. It's got a crazy cast of characters that move around the main character Ethan all of which have some sort of quirk about them that make them one-note, but it's an interesting note to be fair.

And because RE8 is a direct sequel to 7 it's story plays out in a strange way because the chaos has to ramp up very very quickly in order to make it feel like a new thing to Ethan. Because if it was a slow build up again, Ethan (and the player) would already be accustomed to the shit going on and theoretically be able to handle it. So in order to up the stakes, Ethan is immediately dumped into a village where he is attacked by a bunch of werewolf-like people. The village locks you in leave you frantically running around trying to kill what you can and somehow escape. Then after a bit of time, you just get caught no matter what you do and then monsters all close in on you, until something causes them to stop and bail on you leaving you there wondering what the fuck.

Sounds like the same exact opening from RE4 doesn't it. The villagers relentlessly attack Leon for X amount of time, then the clocktower rings and they all fuck off.

It does give the player an uneasy feeling, just to have all the monsters run away leaving you in the town wondering if and when they'll come back and how. It's very effective, it's just a shame that it an exact repeat of the RE4 opening.

There are some noticable advancements in the gameplay though. The guns feel tight and good to use, the resistance triggers on PS5 are helpful here because they keep you from firing a gunshot on accident because something in the shadows startled you. You have to fire deliberately and that's nice because in tense moments it adds to the tension as you frantically try to get your shots off before you become lunch. The game throws enemies at you pretty quickly and pretty regularly too. Those quiet explorative moments don't last long before something else is after you. This makes the game far more actiony than the other RE games that people liked and shows you how much they are really stepping into RE4's shoes here.

With the action combat comes loot, and way more ammo than you think you should have. It brought me out of the horror mindset pretty quickly, because while quiet moments have great feelings of dread, they aren't long enough to build the tension properly the way 7 did. So by the time you calm down and get into the environment you are attacked again which makes it hard to get engrossed in the setting. Which is a shame because the areas are beautiful here. The snowscaped village is wonderful to explore (minus the gore and gross shit lying around) making finding loot a lot of fun. Another swing towards the action game setting is that there is loot, either in ammo, crafting materials, sellable items, or raw money. All of which comes together with the "What are you buyin?" Guy from RE4 here replaced by a strangely mobile fat bastard called The Duke.

The Duke will sell you items, gear, and also upgrade your current equipment. And isn't as charming somehow as the shady merchant in RE4, but he serves the same purpose so it's just other check box as to how this game is RE4-again.

Then you have the villains. Who in this game are mostly one-note which is a shame. There isn't a lot of depth to the characters you come across, but the good news is that the note they do hit does hit very well. So while our new 9' foot tall Waifu is not exactly a deep character, she fits her role very well in the game and you genuinely want to deal with her by the time you do. Which is good. I have no real complaints about the characters or villains here because they all fit there spot in the game perfectly and their lack of depth adds to the campy charm of it all.

Except Ethan, the player, holy fuck is Ethan a moron or what? This guys is just an insufferable dumbass that despite having gone through crazy shit like this before, acts like it's all new to him and he doesn't know what to do. He's very irritating because he doesn't seem to be able to realize what's happening around him despite the fact that he is mowing down dozens of monsters constently. You as a player figure shit out in the first hour of the game, but Ethan just keeps going, "What's going on?" in a fucking stupid tone of voice that makes you wonder if those blows to the head haven't caused some serious damage to the guy. It makes him unlikable and sometimes I let him die because I can't stand him.

Having a bad main character is one of the biggest negatives I can put onto a game. When you don't care about the character you are playing that's bad game writing, when you outright HATE the player character, then that's an even worse problem. And I HATE Ethan, I really do, his bumbling bullshit is the sole reason why I haven't beaten RE8 yet. BEcause I'll be exploring or getting into the next section of the game and he'll say something fucking stupid and I have to sit back and stop. It pulls me out of the game every time and i have to force myself back into the mood to play it again.

All in all, RE8 is RE4 and if you liked RE4 then you'll like this and there is nothing else to say about it really. Guess we don't need that RE4 remake.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
This is exactly why I decided to cancel my pre-order for re8. It's really just the first person remake of Resident Evil 4. Not to mention, a glorified tech demo for another remake of a okd Resident Evil game. Most of you already know my feelings and already for at this point. I like it, but I never felt to need to play it again after my first or second run. That, and I feel that RE4 has gotten overrated and over praised at this point. I rather just play Evil Within 2 again.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Why is it I never heard people complain about Ethan being a bumblefuck in REVII like I do from pretty much everyone with his presence in Village? Is it because he wasn’t quite such an insufferable moron there, or the game was designed around that aspect of him better?

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Like I said in the other thread this game's creativity and rogues gallery is wasted on Ethan Winters and whatever mindless call-back to RE5 and 6 Chris is on about.
This should have been Leon being bad enough to save the President's grand-daughter this time around. RE7 never felt like a Resident Evil game to me, it was just an Outlast game with the pretention of a combat mechanic. And then someone said hey what if we take the new game engine and direction we're going in and try for more RE4 camp with snarky murder puppets and a demolition derby? And everyone was on board until the animators from RE7 said they've spent so much on modeling Ethan getting his hands sliced they simply can't afford to animate Leon Kennedy anymore, so it HAS to be first person with a pretention of a combat mechanic and lots of hand trauma.
And everyone sighed.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Why is it I never heard people complain about Ethan being a bumblefuck in REVII like I do from pretty much everyone with his presence in Village? Is it because he wasn’t quite such an insufferable moron there, or the game was designed around that aspect of him better?
Actually, pleny of people did complain about Ethan being a bumblefuck in 7. It was just overshadowed by all the whole RE7 made Resident Evil scary again and all this other bull crap.

Reactions: hanselthecaretaker

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Actually, pleny of people did complain about Ethan being a bumblefuck in 7. It was just overshadowed by all the whole RE7 made Resident Evil scary again and all this other bull crap.
It was also more understandable in the last game because it was Ethan's first experience with this nonsense. Additionally it feels like Ethan talks a lot more in RE8 so it's more apparent. Ethan was a fucking idiot in the first game too though, because nobody in there right mind would have made it past the goat dick shrine in the first three minutes of that game. Horror pretty much requires the protagonists to be morons, otherwise the spooky shit can't happen.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
It was also more understandable in the last game because it was Ethan's first experience with this nonsense. Additionally it feels like Ethan talks a lot more in RE8 so it's more apparent. Ethan was a fucking idiot in the first game too though, because nobody in there right mind would have made it past the goat dick shrine in the first three minutes of that game. Horror pretty much requires the protagonists to be morons, otherwise the spooky shit can't happen.
And the enemies have to be kind of stupid too. Like no one ever says "Hey um, I stabbed Ethan in the gut with a harpoon, we severed the muscles and tendons in both hands, we cut through the back of both his knees, he's been shot, poisoned, set on fire, beaten, concussed and drowned, and he's not only still coming, he just killed half our werewolves. MAYBE we should take this seriously."
Like they're basically fighting God and just shrugging it off.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
And the enemies have to be kind of stupid too. Like no one ever says "Hey um, I stabbed Ethan in the gut with a harpoon, we severed the muscles and tendons in both hands, we cut through the back of both his knees, he's been shot, poisoned, set on fire, beaten, concussed and drowned, and he's not only still coming, he just killed half our werewolves. MAYBE we should take this seriously."
Like they're basically fighting God and just shrugging it off.
Gotta love plot armor right? It would be no fun if the monsters were scare of YOU!

Oh wait.....Doom exists.

Well it wouldn't be scary.

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Gotta love plot armor right? It would be no fun if the monsters were scare of YOU!

Oh wait.....Doom exists.

Well it wouldn't be scary.
I get why the monsters dont acknowledge the plot armor, but like Ethan does. Lady Big Tits literally cuts your hand off, and he just puts it back on, no harm no foul. He has magic goop that just like repairs tendon and nerve damage, which sure its a health potion and that's how they work, but like they go out of their way for the body horror and dismemberment and just undo it.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
I get why the monsters dont acknowledge the plot armor, but like Ethan does. Lady Big Tits literally cuts your hand off, and he just puts it back on, no harm no foul. He has magic goop that just like repairs tendon and nerve damage, which sure its a health potion and that's how they work, but like they go out of their way for the body horror and dismemberment and just undo it.
Isn’t he made of mold now though? I mean the fact that I just had to ask that as an attempt to rationalize the happenings of this series just shows how pucking fointless it’s gotten.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Isn’t he made of mold now though? I mean the fact that I just had to ask that as an attempt to rationalize the happenings of this series just shows how pucking fointless it’s gotten.
You are correct. Ethan, Mia, and Rosemary still have the mold virus inside them. Well, genetically passed on in Rosemary's case.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I don't get the hate for Ethan. RE8 is so completely over the top that his incomprehension and hilarious one-liners add extra weight to the absurdity of it all. I'm a bit disappoint he never said ''grooovy'' in any one scenario. Though Ethan's reaction to the fight with Moreau, farting and spitting acid and lamenting if his 'mother' rejected his hideous appearence, more than made up for it. :p

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
I don't get the hate for Ethan. RE8 is so completely over the top that his incomprehension and hilarious one-liners add extra weight to the absurdity of it all. I'm a bit disappoint he never said ''grooovy'' in any one scenario. Though Ethan's reaction to the fight with Moreau, farting and spitting acid and lamenting if his 'mother' rejected his hideous appearence, more than made up for it. :p
There was one line that bothered me early in the game. Where you help a couple people escape the outer vilage to the inner part only to have them die like 4 minutes later.

Ethan screams "Why does everyone keep dying on me!" And i laughed. Like dude, you didnt even know those people and they are literally the first people to ever die on you. Nobody in re7 even died on him during the cannon playthrough. So this line makes no fucking sense and is just b-movie dumb.

Neuromancer

Endless Struggle
Legacy
Mar 16, 2012
a homeless squat
Country
None
Ethan screams "Why does everyone keep dying on me!" And i laughed. Like dude, you didnt even know those people and they are literally the first people to ever die on you. Nobody in re7 even died on him during the cannon playthrough. So this line makes no fucking sense and is just b-movie dumb.
For all that Ethan knows, his wife died literally half a night before he found himself in this village. The man is rather understanably in grief

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
There was one line that bothered me early in the game. Where you help a couple people escape the outer vilage to the inner part only to have them die like 4 minutes later.

and Ethan is basically a God and knows it. Body horror and limb damage mean nothing to him.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So do you get to be a werewolf and run around in Garou form slaughtering arrogant vampire bitc*es? Because if no, I'm table flipping and walking out of here.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
For all that Ethan knows, his wife died literally half a night before he found himself in this village. The man is rather understanably in grief
You whats funny about that.

I completely forget it fucking happened because Ethan literally has no reaction. He just goes, "what the hell?" And moves on about his day.

Its like that top gear meme. Where the guy is like "Oh no....anyway."

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

In all fairness, even though he’s a badly written bumblefucker, the one dude in the seance group wolf’d out and killed everyone but him and those escapees. At least that’s how the demo went.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
In all fairness, even though he’s a badly written bumblefucker, the one dude in the seance group wolf’d out and killed everyone but him and those escapees. At least that’s how the demo went.
I mean, the dude did just attack the closest person which wasn't ethan at the time, so the escape wasn't that big of a deal. I'm more forgiving of that kind of trope in horror. Though it does get more insane later in the game where he should be super duper dead several times over and yet the bad guys just....leave him I guess. I dunno. It's very dumb, but it's also kind of perfectly Resident Evil at the same time so....call it a wash?

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
Not just propellor head but the entire factory level is lifted from Frankenstein's Army wholesale. Even down to the German names in the lore entries. The zombie with the drill arm is also from the movie.

The factory is probably my favorite level in the game. They should have given credit to that Dutch bloke who made the movie and designed the monsters but it's just an awesome set-up for a Resident Evil game. I liked the village, castle and haunted house(the ruins sucked) but the factory felt like the only level that wasn't self-referential. The only thing the factory lacked was a proper mad scientist. I like the take on zombies that aren't the product of a mold, virus, parasite or genital fungus but rather just regular people who were experimented on with all kind of weird shit bolted onto them. That's really all the story you need.