Resident Evil To Become TV Series

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Resident Evil To Become TV Series

Zombie game series among multimedia properties being developed for TV by Constantin

The The Mortal Instruments [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/resident%20evil] and Perfume.

The series is planned to go into production following completion of the next feature film in the franchise, Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. The film is intended to be the final outing [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/135491-Director-Next-Resident-Evil-Movie-Will-End-the-Series] for director/producer Paul W.S. Anderson and actress Milla Jovovich, the husband and wife team who have been the cinematic shepherds of the franchise for over a decade.

It is not known whether the series will continue any of the story threads begun in the films or the original games, nor if Anderson and Jovovich plan to be involved in the production. Apart from the feature films, Resident Evil has been previously adapted into comics, novels and animated features.

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/constantin-to-produce-tv-series-based-on-resident-evil-mortal-instrument-franchises-1201328293/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/movies-and-tv/]

Gunner 51

Jun 21, 2009
Something tells me that this is going to be awful and not in a 1960's Batman kind of way.

Bearing in mind that the writing in the game wasn't all that great to start off with, making an actuall TV series - now that's got to be impossible to pull off well.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Where do I apply to be a writer for this shit?

I have played every Resident Evil game at least thrice over. Even Gaiden. If they try to ruin one of my most beloved series with more of that Alice bullshit, I WILL DESTROY SOMETHING. Yeah it says that the director's ending his little fanfic series for his wife, but still. I don't trust them at all.

Steve Waltz

May 16, 2012
Kopikatsu said:

I have played every Resident Evil game at least thrice over. Even Gaiden. If they try to ruin one of my most beloved series with more of that Alice bullshit, I WILL DESTROY SOMETHING. Yeah it says that the director's ending his little fanfic series for his wife, but still. I don't trust them at all.
What does it matter if they ruin it further? Capcom?s been doing a fine job ruining the series on their own. Series has been one steady downhill tumble since RE4. I doubt anything can stop Resident Evil?s free fall of failure. Depressing because I was a diehard fan of the series; it?s just too much to enjoy the series anymore after all of the trash I?ve had to deal with recently.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Kopikatsu said:

The writing of the game series isn't that much better... especially post RE4. So I don't know what you're expecting. Mind you I'm a huge RE1-4 fan and I still think they're awful awful stories.

On a different note, the first Resident Evil movie was the best of them all. The cinematography evoked the same feeling I got when I first played Resident Evil 2 (I skipped the first one because it wasn't available in my area at the time, later played the superior GC version... wish they'd updated the rest of the series the same way though).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I'd like actual characters from the games to be the protagonists. Maybe series 1 could be based off the firt game, series 2 off the second game and so on?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Steve Waltz said:
Kopikatsu said:

What does it matter if they ruin it further? Capcom?s been doing a fine job ruining the series on their own. Series has been one steady downhill tumble since RE4. I doubt anything can stop Resident Evil?s free fall of failure. Depressing because I was a diehard fan of the series; it?s just too much to enjoy the series anymore after all of the trash I?ve had to deal with recently.
What's wrong with the series? The only thing that's really chaged is the gameplay style (Which is a vast improvement over the earlier games. Just aim up with the shotgun for insta-kills and you'll end the game with hundreds of spare handgun and shotgun rounds.)

I will admit that RE5 and RE6 dicked up what made RE4 good (In that it got away from the ridiculousness of the earlier installments with it's own special brand of camp), but I still enjoy the series.

Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Kopikatsu said:

The writing of the game series isn't that much better... especially post RE4. So I don't know what you're expecting. Mind you I'm a huge RE1-4 fan and I still think they're awful awful stories.

On a different note, the first Resident Evil movie was the best of them all. The cinematography evoked the same feeling I got when I first played Resident Evil 2 (I skipped the first one because it wasn't available in my area at the time, later played the superior GC version... wish they'd updated the rest of the series the same way though).
I like how dumb RE's story is. It's great. Just the right amount of camp. But I will also agree that the first Resident Evil movie is the best of the lot Anderson directed for the same reason.

However, if we're talking about movies in general, I'm particularly fond of Degeneration. In which Leon, while badly injured, draws a knife in preparation to fight two T-103's who have their limiters released.

If I were making a series about Resident Evil, I would either follow the USS; or a BSAA squad, depending on if it's set before or after RE4. I think there's potential there. Perhaps moreso with the BSAA than the USS. Especially since if the BSAA is the focus of the story, they could have interesting interactions with agents of TerraSave.

Edit: As I was writing this out, I realized there might be a strong possibility that the TV series might follow Jake Mueller post-6. I really hope that isn't the case. Jake Mueller is the worst character ever. Especially because he was completely unnecessary. Alex Wesker could have filled the same role for the same reason, and it at least would have been a cool throwback to the earlier games.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Yeah I'm not too sure if this is going to work, I mean if they going to take in the first place then it will be boring being inside the mansion most of the season or if they set it in the sequel, it got to be set in a 6-12 hours time period at night time (have you ever seen Racoon city in the daytime?).

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
If it is gonna be bad let it be "From Dusk till Dawn the series" bad please so i can at least laugh at it.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Kill this series. I hate Alice, I hate what they've done to every single one of the REAL Resident Evil characters, I hate Alice, I hate the butchering of the story (aware of the hypocrisy), I hate the fact that it can't stay consistent between movies, I hate that it can't stay consistent in the individual movies, I hate Alice, and I hate that each one of these always turns a *EFF*-ing profit!

Sorry, ranting from a fan. But yeah, don't do this guys. Just, don't.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Oh, come the hell on, don't act like the games' writing was any good. Or decent. Or passable.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
The good news is that -unlike with The Walking Dead- the source material isn't of good enough quality that a TV adaptation could do much worse. I'll check it out.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
I hope they stick to the game/book lore pre-resident evil 4. Wouldn't mind if they mentioned the existence of Alice etc. The thing for me is the games were not about the 'hero' characters but more about Umbrella. When Umbrella went, my interest and the series died.

crazygameguy4ever

Jul 2, 2012
The films are great, I just hope the TV series is.. I hope they base the series off the games directly and do story arcs... the first season's arc can be the about STARS team going to the Spencer mansion and can be an adaption of the first videogame(preferably the Gamecube remake with the extra story parts added like the fate of George Trevor and his family, including his daughter that's turned into that monster wearing the skin of her mother's face).. the second story arc can follow RE2.. and so forth...

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Just a reminder, Resident Evil isn't and was never scary unless you're 9. Quit with the revisionist history. :p

Anyway, I'm really not sure what a TV series could do for RE. Everything that made it interesting was contained within the aspects of gameplay and musical atmosphere. Take that away and it's just another zombie thing.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Kopikatsu said:

It's the same production company responsible for the films, so I suggest keeping your expectations very low.

Frostbyte666

Nov 27, 2010
why not have the 1st season with STARS Bravo team with the finale leading into second season alpha team. The thing that really annoyed me with the movies was the heroes were normal humans, instead the movies show Alice the superhuman. Plus I'm still annoyed with the 1st movie having the licker as the beastie instead of a more terrifying hunter (petty I am aware).

Otherwise I don't really expect much from this series.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I'll gladly include this in my big list of reasons not to go back to cable/satellite TV. I never was a big fan of the Resi games, but even I think the series has outstayed its welcome by 4-5 movies.

"Zombie game series among multimedia properties being developed for TV by Constantin"
I first read that as "Franchise Zombie" game series, not "game series about the living dead". Such a sad state, most of Capcom's once great titles are becoming.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Well, the Resident Evil movies have been a sort of guilty pleasure of mine. I've watched them with friends and enjoyed them. Oh, we came out of plenty bitching about how they wasted a character or two, but we've still enjoyed them in our own special way. You just have to go in knowing that they will be bad, but at least have some decent eye candy.

As for this series, it really depends on how they do it. If they reboot the series and focus on characters dealing with the virus(es) and the monsters that it/they spawn it and get decent actors and writers, it could be good. I wouldn't even say that it would have to follow the game's characters, it just needs to take the story and world seriously.