Resident evil will return to its roots.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Drizzitdude said:
I agree, I actually really enjoyed Leons campaign, if they just made a full game like that and made it more survival horror based I would buy it in a heartbeat.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Just make it survival horror again, and we're good. Resident Evil 4 was my first, and still is my favourite game in the series. I wasn't particularly fond of the co-op system in 5. That should either be completely optional or absent.
If they want to go back to the pre-RE4 formula then great, but at least retain the 3D camera.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Athefist said:
RE:4 remains one of my all time favorite video game experiences. If Capcom wants to win me back, go back to that title and give us another.
They already did. It's called Resident Evil 5.

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
I'll believe it when I see it. I mean it is possible, look at Revelations, that shit was amazing. But after 6 I am really skeptical.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Full said:
Let's just see if they hold their word, Capcom has been known to "take feedback" before, catch my drift.

RE4 style camera and combat with RE2 style level/aesthetic design, would personally bang. I was going to get the Revelations port, which I heard was pretty much that.
I have to say 4 had a nice balance between survival horror and not controlling like shit. There was great atmosphere and a lot of item management (the attache` case needs a comeback in my opinion), the story was cheesy nad over the top but it stood on it's own away from the rest of the franchises bullshit.

I'd gladly welcome a RE that plays like 4, with slow deliberate shooting and enemies built around that, where enemies are hard to kill and it's difficult to survive and ration ammo well. ZombiU did a pretty good job of that, since you didn't always have to fight and it was often best to flee...

Edit: Though I gotta say, 6 was more fun than 5. 5 had Resi 4's combat style but it was built around running and gunning, something you could not do. The co-op was also better thought out since you didn't have to baby your AI partner much.

Neither has a damn thing on 4 though, both pale even compared to Code Veronica :z

I also didn't get into revelations much on the 3DS, but I'll pick it up on the Wii U when it comes out, the big problem for me was it was awkward to control.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I hope they make a reboot. Unlike Devil May Cry, Resident Evil desperately needs a reboot.

Johnny Novgorod said:
Athefist said:
RE:4 remains one of my all time favorite video game experiences. If Capcom wants to win me back, go back to that title and give us another.
They already did. It's called Resident Evil 5.
Hahahahaha. You're a funny guy.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
It is as if Capcom intentionally ruins every franchise thats getting closer to being above average. good job. Your fighting well in whose the worst developer part.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
I hope they make a reboot. Unlike Devil May Cry, Resident Evil desperately needs a reboot.
Reboot but keep Leon is what I'd like. Scrap the complex bullshitty history and start it over and keep the protagonist that isn't a complete moron.

If we get a reboot I bet we're stuck with Roidfield though.

Capcha: White Elephant.

That's apt for Op Racoon City...

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
MammothBlade said:
Just make it survival horror again, and we're good. Resident Evil 4 was my first, and still is my favourite game in the series. I wasn't particularly fond of the co-op system in 5. That should either be completely optional or absent.
If they want to go back to the pre-RE4 formula then great, but at least retain the 3D camera.
Co-op should be restricted to mercenaries, co-op does not improve a horror game, it can only detract.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Revelations was proof that they can make a good old-style RE with modern controls and camera so I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
AgentLampshade said:
Obviously they should reboot the whole franchise with a sweary, hobo protagonist.
Shit! That actually sounds interesting!
I'd play it. Especially if the whole game is that you're playing as a homeless person in a zombie breakout and the twist at the end is that you've been hallucinating due to the DTs the whole time and have killed 50 people. But maybe I'm just wierd.

OT- I'd like to see a series reboot done the same way they did the GC Resident Evil 1 with better controls.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Although RE6 was nowhere near as bad as people seem to think (being a logical progression of the story and all), I just don't understand why Resident Evil has to be a jack of all trades game.

Why not have more recent style RE4-RE6 games as one series, and the older, slower plodding games as another? Why do we need to sacrifice fans of one game in the hopes of appeasing another?

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
thetoddo said:
I'd play it. Especially if the whole game is that you're playing as a homeless person in a zombie breakout and the twist at the end is that you've been hallucinating due to the DTs the whole time and have killed 50 people. But maybe I'm just wierd.

OT- I'd like to see a series reboot done the same way they did the GC Resident Evil 1 with better controls.
It would make an absolute scorcher of a twist.

Aug 31, 2012
Interesting. I hated 4 for the story, so much so I gave up when the midget thing appeared, but it certainly played much better. If they could mix the better controls etc from 4 with the general aesthetic and premise of 1+2 that could get me to buy an other resident evil game.

ChristopherT

Sep 9, 2010
Okay good, their heads don't seem to be in the sand. I loved the old Resident Evil, I've lost all faith in them since then, but maybe they can pull out something good. I'm just glad they understand they've been going in a bad direction since 4Resident Evil. Doesn't need to be the old games exactly, just needs to not be last year.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Do we really have to go all the way back down to the roots?
Can't we just go back to Resident Evil 4 and move on from there in the opposite direction of 5 and 6?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
I just want a reboot with the style and feeling of Revelations and Lost in Nightmares, I don't care much for the puzzles since they always seemed stupid; who the fuck builds a police station with hexagonal, rectangular, and triangular keyholes randomly placed and hidden through out the station! I want the camera and action style used, where its fun without being unfair in Revelations and the atmosphere that they used for Lost in Nightmares where everything was creepy and dark

also going by canon, Jill is getting kinda old now, she's in her late 40's! So yeah Resident Evil without Jill is not RE so they need to do something about that.

I doubt they're listening to feedback though, otherwise we would have already gotten an RE game that goes back to survival horror starting Jill and Leon

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
I don't feel at all like the series is awful bhy any means at this point. It is just cheesy. Just because you can control your character in a better way doesn't mean you can't have a horror filled scene. I game doesn't become a horror game just because the controls are bad, and people who seem to think this should just play the remake for the gamecube if they really wont to go back to

Step 1: Stop
Step 2: Pull out gun
Step 3: Spend the next few second rotating slightly hoping to get a good angle
Step 4: Shoot
*did you hit?*
Yes: Shoot again
No: Rotate some more

I loved the original resident evil games at the time they were made and a few years after, but the fact of the matter is not all games are Mario, where you can put the except same gameplay in every game and still have it be fun or whatever.

Tank controls are a thing of the past, we shouldn't be focusing on them because the horror games of out childhood used them to good effect, but rather be focusing on how to make game with better control still horrifying. A good example, landing on back in RE6 as I said earlier, doing this put you out of harms way for a good second, but put you in a overall bad position where you either had to try to fight them off from the ground, and get up and back the hell up, this allowed for some intense cinematic moments.

Also something we have to consider is that the better the controls are, the better the overall game can be do to more options, back in the original titles, rooms would have 1 or two enemies because anything more than that would simply overwhelm the player completely (minus some exceptions where they would give you a way of getting past earlier like a shotgun or a grenade) but with the more modern controls we find that you can walk into a room filled with enemies and just have that "oh shit" moment before you are in a fight for your life. I feel like I must go back to the subway scene in RE6, in this scene you find yourself going down a dark subway system. up ahead there is a bend with light hitting the backwall, suddenly you see a shadow flit past the light, then another, then another, and more. You can hear the groans and moans of the living dead as they make their way to your position and as you can around the bend you realize that because of their numbers you are either going to have to back up and try picking them off, or using a more creative means to get the advantage ( my personal one was leading a good 7 zombies in front of the subway car when I heard it coming. The point being, just because the game had better controls and a more active combat system, does not mean you cannot be put into scary positions where you can be easily screwed.

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Wow reading this thread I take it there are a LOT of people here who utterly despise campy things. It is kind of sad, really.

I loved RE4 (5 and 6 are garbage) but you know what? I would also welcome another one like 1 or 2. Those games weren't bad games, after all. In fact those games are the reason why the franchise is still around. If the first iterations didn't make money and create an audience, then no one would even know what Resident Evil is right now; there wouldn't even be a franchise. It is insane to sit here and pretend they were awful games. Also yes, for the love of god bring back the puzzles! It was the best part of the games. Mindless action gets way to boring without any other form of mental stimulation, especially since pretty much every game now is nothing but mindless action.