Resident Evil Zero May be Getting a HD Remaster

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Resident Evil Zero May be Getting a HD Remaster

It looks like Resident Evil Zero may also be getting a HD makeover.

Remember the Japanese website [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138900-Resident-Evil-HD-Remake-Releases-January-2015] for the Resident Evil HD remaster to display a pre-order theme featuring a PlayStation 4 menu icon that looks an awful lot like Resident Evil Zero.

Resident Evil Zero was first released on the GameCube in 2002, and was later ported to the Wii in 2008 exclusively in Japan - with very little alterations from the GameCube version. As the version of Resident Evil that is being remade for next-gen consoles is actually the 2002 GameCube version, it makes sense that RE:0 would be the next in line for the HD treatment.

Resident Evil Zero's storyline serves as a prequel to the first Resident Evil and covers the ordeals experienced by the police force Special Tactics And Rescue Service's Bravo Team and its newest member Rebecca Chambers.

Producer Yoshiaki Hirabayashi had previously spoken on just how difficult the process of converting a GameCube title to PS4 was. "The biggest challenge for us in raising the resolution was the backgrounds themselves and the effects in them. Originally, these had been created from still images, so there was a lot of work done by hand to the assets we had in order to raise the quality bar," he said [http://www.destructoid.com/resident-evil-was-a-difficult-game-to-remaster-in-hd-282902.phtml].

Resident Evil is coming to PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on January 20, 2015.

Source: NeoGAF [http://www.capcom.co.jp/biohd/ja/news/]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Capcom seems to be in a serious financial trouble and they're doing the least amount of work hoping to get the most money out of it. Serves them right for trying to cater to the "wider audience" for the last several years. Everybody besides them knew that it was a horrible idea.
This gives me hope that we'll see DMC HD Collection for the PC.

Asclepion

Aug 16, 2011
And a PC release, surely.

This is good news. Rebecca Chambers seems to have dematerialized off the Earth in this series, despite being a former member of STARS and surviving the Arklay Laboratory (and thus being a fairly important character).

If only we could get Elza Walker...

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
looks like capcom did read feedbacks and saw that people want the old style horror back. to be honest, i dont mind these remasters. i always wanted to play the previous 2002 version of RE since i had no gamecube and im happy to see that they have decided to make it for pc as well. what makes me happier is that they actually put in some effort by making it suitable for todays systems instead spitting out a half assed port. improved graphics, even providing an alternative control system and making it widescreen adjustable.
and if they charge 20$ for it, i see no problem to give them my money. i just think they have to make some money after the poor reception of part 6 and want to make sure part 7 will be good by taking their time. so why not provide some HD remakes that actually makes people happy.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
It be nice to get those remakes done for RE2,3, and Code Veronica as well.
Code: Veronica got one of those HD facelifts (I hesitate to call them HD remakes, as the marketing insists they are), along with RE4.

I wouldn't mind a built-from-the-ground-up-with-a-new-engine remake for 2, 3, CV or even Outbreak (with modern chat features, even!).

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
you are not alone with this. a lot of people already in the steam forum request that as well. which would be nice indeed since the older games are not very compatible with modern systems.

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Scrythe said:
SUPA FRANKY said:
Code: Veronica got one of those HD facelifts (I hesitate to call them HD remakes, as the marketing insists they are), along with RE4.

I wouldn't mind a built-from-the-ground-up-with-a-new-engine remake for 2, 3, CV or even Outbreak (with modern chat features, even!).
I would prefer the whole shebang, like RE and RE0 got. Though looking at Capcom's financial state, it won't be possible.

CyberAkuma

Elite Member
Nov 27, 2007
I don't understand why they would remake this game. Resident Evil Zero is not a particulary good RE game at all. I would much rather see the 2002 Resident Evil GameCube game being remade which is criticially acclaimed

Oct 2, 2012
SUPA FRANKY said:
Scrythe said:
SUPA FRANKY said:

I would prefer the whole shebang, like RE and RE0 got. Though looking at Capcom's financial state, it won't be possible.
is Capcom really doing that poorly?
Damn.

OT: Yay!
I'd buy the hell out of this if it came out.
Hell, if they want to completely remake 2, 3, Veronica, and even the Outbreak games I'd gladly throw my money at them.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Sweet as Zero is pretty damn good (though I'm in the minority on that). Hey Capcom everyone knows you won't do it, but you could actually add that co op you love cramming into the newer ones and no one will complain about it. Game is built for it.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
CyberAkuma said:
I don't understand why they would remake this game. Resident Evil Zero is not a particulary good RE game at all. I would much rather see the 2002 Resident Evil GameCube game being remade which is criticially acclaimed
Uhm... you haven't read the news nor are you following the RE franchise am right?
Because Capcom is doing exactly that...

As far as this game is concerned: Yea no Capcom. RE I'm looking forward to but this one you can keep.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
SUPA FRANKY said:
Yeah, but that would require Capcom to, you know... put in some effort. And why would you do that when you can just upres games that are already finished? At this point I wouldn't even trust Capcom to make another old school Resi, even if it is a remake.

OT: *yawn~*

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Fuck sake Capcom.

Where's my Resident Evil Outbreak file#3 with 4 player online support, voice chat, and lots of dlc for us to buy.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
Ben Legend said:
Fuck sake Capcom.

Where's my Resident Evil Outbreak file#3 with 4 player online support, voice chat, and lots of dlc for us to buy.
Although, they'd probably think i mean charge for extra guns, and playable character skins, i mean extra missions!

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
SUPA FRANKY said:
I've been waiting for a HD remake of RE2 since forever.

Norithics

Jul 4, 2013
Whugh! That steaming pile was the worst entry in the series! Cash in if you must, but I felt cheated the first time I bought that one.

And yeah, 2nd and 3rd REs would be much better for this kind of thing.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
CyberAkuma said:
You understand the difference between a remake and a Remaster? It isn't a easy mistake to make. Even so, it's being ported, what's your problem?

You understand that RE1 2002 is still being ported?
Pink Gregory said:
It's basically on the same engine as REmake. What do you expect?
And? How is this a bad thing? How is this anything new?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
You know its funny. I remember every single Resident Evil release since RE2, and only Resident Evil 4 was considered any good when it came out. Now I guess with either the endless torrents of mediocre/bad coming from the AAA and indie scenes, or red-tinted nostalgia goggles OR most people were disingenuous with their dislike of this series, games like Resident Evil 3 or 0 or Outbreak are considered Time Warner Classics! Either people have no sense of irony, or way too much. Either way, funny as all hell!

Personally, I liked Resident Evil 0 from the moment it came out. Still have my old copy for GameCube and during my annual replay of old systems, RE0 always makes an appearance.
Looking forward to this remaster.