Resource capacity issues, will monthly timesheets help?

jojithepainter

May 8, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Talking about the definition of off-topic, if there's one. Maybe one of you guys could help me with something sort of specific. So, at our company, we're working on improving our resource capacity planning strategy. Our GM is now looking into using monthly timesheets to help with this. We've noticed that some of our team members are overwhelmed, often juggling too many tasks. This affects their productivity and, of course, impacts overall project timelines at the end of the day. So, we need better time management to ensure we’re not burning out our staff. These monthly timesheets seem to make sense here, we should get a clearer picture of who is doing what and when and allocate resources more effectively. Has anyone tried using them for this purpose? Did it help manage workload and project timelines better?

mirbrownbread

Elite Member
Nov 16, 2022
Belgium
Country
Belgium
We use monthly timesheets for payroll, so I cannot really tell you from personal experience if they'll help with resource capacity strategy. Theoretically, they should, for the reasons you mentioned. Actually, now that I think about it, I have no idea if any of the managers are examining this aspect, this might actually be the case. Scratch that, this most likely is the case, now that I connected the dots. Managed to find a template we used, maybe it'll come in handy, since I couldn't really help.

Last edited:

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Depending on how many projects you have and how big the team is, my team's approach could help you.

We have weekly meetings for one hour where we go through a list of active projects and each person in a group gives a number to how much time they are going to spend on it over the next two weeks. So you have a spreadsheet with a list of team members names on the x axis, projects on the y axis and you just run through it.

For instance, I would say "I'm on project A for one day this week, and three days next". And so on. The next week we talk about how our predictions went for the past week, and update our time for the next two weeks based on what happened.

It's intended to be non judgmental - I've had a lot of times where I said "project A didn't get a day last week because project B fucked me and the deadline on project C got pulled, I need three days on A this week and three more the week after to catch up." The idea is everyone can see I have all my open time accounted for over two weeks so they know how busy I am and where that time should be going. If I keep having to update my predictions because one project is getting out of control it's a signal to the group that I'm overloaded and a project needs to be re-resourced because the original time budget was off.

If someone only has 60 hours accounted for at the end of the meeting the boss can see it and say "looks like you have 2.5 days free, I want it put on project A to help Roy catch up."

Using timesheet tracking is helpful, but only in hindsight - you can't fix Jane being overloaded two weeks ago when you look at a month end timesheet. For slow moving companies with very long haul style projects that makes sense, since you can just fix it for Jane in the coming month or it could just be a one time blip. But if you have projects that might only be a couple months in total duration you need shorter duration check ins to stay on top of it.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Depending on how many projects you have and how big the team is, my team's approach could help you.

We have weekly meetings for one hour where we go through a list of active projects and each person in a group gives a number to how much time they are going to spend on it over the next two weeks. So you have a spreadsheet with a list of team members names on the x axis, projects on the y axis and you just run through it.

For instance, I would say "I'm on project A for one day this week, and three days next". And so on. The next week we talk about how our predictions went for the past week, and update our time for the next two weeks based on what happened.

It's intended to be non judgmental - I've had a lot of times where I said "project A didn't get a day last week because project B fucked me and the deadline on project C got pulled, I need three days on A this week and three more the week after to catch up." The idea is everyone can see I have all my open time accounted for over two weeks so they know how busy I am and where that time should be going. If I keep having to update my predictions because one project is getting out of control it's a signal to the group that I'm overloaded and a project needs to be re-resourced because the original time budget was off.

If someone only has 60 hours accounted for at the end of the meeting the boss can see it and say "looks like you have 2.5 days free, I want it put on project A to help Roy catch up."

Using timesheet tracking is helpful, but only in hindsight - you can't fix Jane being overloaded two weeks ago when you look at a month end timesheet. For slow moving companies with very long haul style projects that makes sense, since you can just fix it for Jane in the coming month or it could just be a one time blip. But if you have projects that might only be a couple months in total duration you need shorter duration check ins to stay on top of it.
Hey, he lives! I thought you'd left us for good there.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
Hey, he lives! I thought you'd left us for good there.
Yeah I kind of had one crisis after another for a while there and started avoiding the internet to cut back on stress. And then if course I post again for a resourcing conversation.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Do you guys not have an ERP for that? Like a Workday (great for internal use, bad for job seekers) or a collaboration tool?

Also, generally, that's why you need competent managers who delegate enough work to not overstress high-performers, and generally not underutilized employees with too much bandwidth.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Yeah I kind of had one crisis after another for a while there and started avoiding the internet to cut back on stress. And then if course I post again for a resourcing conversation.
Well, hopefully things have settled down and you have more time for the truly important things in life, like video games and talking about them with people you've never met on the internet.