Retailer Claims Watch Dogs Will Use Steam on PC

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Retailer Claims Watch Dogs Will Use Steam on PC

The PC edition of Watch Dogs might utilize Steam features/DRM in addition to Uplay.

You can't blame publishers like Ubisoft for pushing their own PC distribution and DRM systems, rather than using Steam and sharing their profits with Valve. Still, with more than 65 million users [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.832588-Steam-Surpasses-Xbox-Live-With-65-Million-Users], Steam is a tempting market - one that Ubisoft may be dipping into with the launch of Watch Dogs this May. Redditor whiterider1 noticed that GAME's pre-order page lists Steam among the PC requirements for Watch Dogs, suggesting that the PC version will be integrated with Steamworks.

Under its terms and conditions, GAME states that "You will need access to Xbox LIVE (Xbox 360 and Xbox One Customers), PlayStation Network (PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 4 Customers), STEAM (PC), Nintendo eShop (Wii U)." This is the first we've heard of Watch Dogs coming to Steam, so it's a definite possibility that GAME copied and pasted the wrong text. Then again, Ubisoft recently released Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag and South Park: The Stick of Truth, both of which came to Steam. And even if the publisher does take the Steamworks approach, that's no guarantee that there won't be a second layer of DRM in the form of Ubisoft's own Uplay system, as was the case with Far Cry 3.

We've reached out to Ubisoft regarding this new information.

Source: reddit [http://www.game.co.uk/en/watch-dogs-172995?catGroupId=]

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Though this is a given at this point I would hope Ubisoft one day fixes their Uplay to the point where it doesn't cannibalize my bandwidth and at the same time improves their pricing, remove a bit more DRM and place more Uplay Rewards for games, I really dig their Uplay Rewards for certain games and I also don't want everything to end up Steam only.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
yo bret, scratch that 65 million, make it over 75 million

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/01/15/steam-has-75-million-active-users-valve-announces-at-dev-days/

im all for some more steam in my life but id like to see ubisoft turn uPlay into an actually good service, more competition you know, plus i see POTENTIAL in it, keep in mind im not saying is comparable to steam by any strech of the imagination, but its got some nice ideas going for it, that mii thingy and the free DLC/rewards by completing achivements, i can get behind those

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I don't really mind double stacking, it's just that uplay offers pretty much nothing to the player that couldn't have been accomplished by just putting the "extra" content INTO THE GAME ITSELF instead of attempting to make it look like the system is for the benefit of the players by using an entirely arbitary points system while also turning it into a "viral marketing" platform ON TOP OF the DRM aspects in the most unsubtle manner possible.

Valve may have had some shaky years at the start of the Steam service, but it sure as hell didn't try to monetize my participation and pretend it was adding customer value to the system.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Two sets of DRM. I wonder how much better performance pirates get without any freakin' DRM. Come on Ubisoft, wake the fuck up. It will get pirated anyway. Don't punish the people that are willing to pay for it.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
same issue with origin for me , i really dont want to live in a world where we have to have one front end per publisher all active to just play. so im voting with my wallet and skipping this. its not a boycott its just an informed decision. and its not like the old days , we have a lot of great games out and coming its not that hard to miss some.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
If people buy the game through Steam it should just use Steamworks. I should not have to be logged into two different services just to play a game. Love the Assassins Creed games but I hate how I have to use both Steam and UPlay to play one game. It's like how the soon to be non-existent Games For Windows Live system worked and was equally annoying.

Looking forward to Watch Dogs though.

Under_your_bed

Sep 15, 2012
Thanks fuck for that. Uplay was an absolutely god-awful nightmare for Far Cry 3. I couldn't play it for the 2 months when I was at uni, because my internet connection was too slow to run uplay in game. What an absolute joke.

Fireprufe15

Nov 10, 2011
I'm assuming this will work like The Stick of Truth, and hoping that this is Ubi's permanent new method. If bought on Steam, it uses only Steamworks, if bought retail or on uPlay it uses only uPlay.

Apr 5, 2008
If they want to sell the game, it really ought to be on Steam. Particularly if it will have multiplayer. Any PC multiplayer game that doesn't use Steamworks is liable to suck. Ubi's past games (splinter cells in particular) suffered from this and it's a major pain to try and play them online.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
uplay is sure not the best. but still better then this horrible LIVE, which i sure will not miss once its gone. i did get AC liberation and revelation from steam, and even when it has to connect to uplay, i cant say i had any major issues with it.
im still thinking of getting stick of truth since even in hong kong, the version is cut from steam. just hope when i buy the US version, that its uncut and can enjoys its full glory.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
weirdee said:
I don't really mind double stacking, it's just that uplay offers pretty much nothing to the player that couldn't have been accomplished by just putting the "extra" content INTO THE GAME ITSELF instead of attempting to make it look like the system is for the benefit of the players by using an entirely arbitary points system while also turning it into a "viral marketing" platform ON TOP OF the DRM aspects in the most unsubtle manner possible.

Valve may have had some shaky years at the start of the Steam service, but it sure as hell didn't try to monetize my participation and pretend it was adding customer value to the system.
how are they making viral marketing with uPlay?

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
I hope this means that it won't require both Uplay and Steam to be running at the same time, for that has caused me grief with any Assassin's Creed game I have bought, I recently gave up on playing Assassin's Creed 3 because my saves kept being corrupted or disappearing. Otherwise I am probably going to pass on Watch Dogs for what is the sense of buying a game that can't I can progress with because the save system is broken.

TaboriHK

Sep 15, 2008
Personally, I won't buy this one at all if it doesn't make it to Steam. Uplay is as bad as Origin, and I have no interest in buying a PS4/Xbone.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Uplay will likely only be mandatory if you are going to do multiplayer. Ubisoft have had a number of games that don't require Uplay, unless you want to do multiplayer. So Steam for Single, Uplay for multi. If this is the case, I don't think both will need to run at the same time.

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
008Zulu said:
Uplay will likely only be mandatory if you are going to do multiplayer. Ubisoft have had a number of games that don't require Uplay, unless you want to do multiplayer. So Steam for Single, Uplay for multi. If this is the case, I don't think both will need to run at the same time.
Hoping this is the case. I am not playing this MP anyway, and don't relish always online as a requirement. Doubly so b/c I will likely play it on PS4, and want as few barriers to entry as possible.